Calhoun +/- | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Calhoun +/-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Come on man, it's easy, isn't it?
We all want the brass ring. You don't get it by beating a team and then sitting back feeling good about yourself. You get it by constantly reviewing your game, looking for areas of weakness, and working on getting better.

You think KO isn't talking to OC about getting better? About curing his deficiencies? Would that mean that KO enjoys being miserable?

Or did you mistakenly post here thinking this was the Woman's Board, where naught a negative thought is written, and everything is mary sunshine up your @ss?

Funny last comment, as one who was banned from the chick board for noting someone was an Wipe and hurting the sensibilities of posters there per Husky Nan; I'm getting what you are saying and don't see problem getting after an issue. Ollie needs to address each guys game and find ways to use what they do well and help them improve their shortcomings. Bazz needs to make the easy play/shot in transition; DD has to improve his spin move control; most defenders need to help against penetration more while NG needs to help less; Omar has a much more basic flaw than the others.

With Omar I'm seeing a Denham Brown handle without the Denham Brown athletic ability and a Rashad Anderson role without the current ability to shoot like Rashad. Omar's stance is wide legs apart, bend over rather than athletic stance, faces directly forward and holds ball in front. Effective dribblers shield opponents from ball with opposite shoulder (few games back opponent kept arm barring Bazz away with opposite arm 'cause Bazz was too close to his dribble). Defenders can get close to Omar as he faces them directly and dribbles or holds ball directly in front. On his dribble penetration he dribbles ball to the side of his body and defenders get a good swipe at it, many could be fouls but he gets very few calls. He doesn't pass the ball he gets rid of it. On defense he doesn't stay in front of his guy (a common UConn fault, LV had a layup drill, even Temple, BCU, Indiana were effective in penetrating - it all isn't on the 3 headed center to stop it). He needs to work on his body movement, handle and court awareness as a way to improve in the medium term, in the short term he needs to go wild out there in his minutes challenging his guy on defense, getting loose balls, make the crisp hockey assist pass, getting rebounds, take the spot up shot when he has it and the clock/game strategy warrants (he starts draining 3's and he'll get minutes). It's never great to take a step back, but sometimes that's the situation you're in and you need to just get better; if there ever was a "keep trunkin' 'cause good things can happen" poster boy it's Kevin Ollie.

Reaction Score
So basically to sum up this thread Omar, can't pass, drive, rebound, play defense, stand right, keep possession of the ball, or even shoot well at the moment. Plenty of things to work on i guess.

Reaction Score
That sounds about right - what was his +/- by the way against temple? Does anybody know where to find that stat?

Reaction Score
7 assists, 22 turnovers. Ouch. Against Temple, 1 assist, 2 turnovers. He and Kromah have the same turnovers, but Kromah has 24 assists

Reaction Score
That sounds about right - what was his +/- by the way against temple? Does anybody know where to find that stat?

It was 0

First shift, he was out there for a 19-8 UConn run (+11)
Came right back in 30 seconds later, and was -6 over the next couple minutes (9-3 Temple)
Second half, he was out there for a -5 (7-2 Temple)
Final shift of second half was even (6-6)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
7 assists, 22 turnovers. Ouch. Against Temple, 1 assist, 2 turnovers. He and Kromah have the same turnovers, but Kromah has 24 assists

Those are brutal numbers for a center. For a guard? I'll consult the thesaurus.

If he's touching the ball enough to turn it over 22 times, then he's touching it enough to have more than 7 assists.

Literally he makes 3 bad decisions for every good decision. And that doesn't include his poorly timed shots.

I'm rooting for the kid because we saw last year that he can be a valuable asset. I haven't given up on him but there's no glossing over his numbers.

U

UCONNfan1

Remarkable we win by 25 and still have a lengthy thread on someone who did not play well. We must enjoy being miserable, or something.
It's not just that, it's DD going off and people dismissing it as just hot shooting or something, as if that makes the points count for less. It's true Temple is not good, but it's still a Division I basketball team. The urge to dismiss good news is pretty baffling.
Temple is not a very good basketball team. They did a couple of good things, and this was a game UCONN fans should feel pretty good about, but I think fans always want to see better. Hopefully the players are always striving to be better. I don't think it's an issue of being miserable, it's an issue of mystification over his solid play last year vs. the incredible decline in quality this year. Usually players get better, not worse.

I'm not sure people are dismissing DD. I didn't read every post in this thread yet, but most people in the chat said that UCONN is better when DD is playing aggressively and looking for good shots. It's great that he was hot vs. Temple. He's a really good player. Still think he has some good upside too. Just my $.02...

Reaction Score
Considering we won by 25 a net of zero in the +/- isnt very good. I like the kid and hope he turns it around but to be honest I have more confidence when samuel has the ball in his hands then calhoun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom