Calhoun | The Boneyard

Calhoun

Reaction Score
Since I'm not allowed to post in any of the threads I start I have to start another one to clarify what I said earlier. When I said this has to be handled right by Benedict and JC I wasn't talking about Calhoun being involved in the hiring process. That would be ridiculous and Benedict already knows Ollie has to go, it's all about the transition now, how it gets done. They somehow all have to sort through this mess to have the smoothest possible outcome in what seems like an impossibly unsmooth situation at the moment.

Even though Ollie has alienated Calhoun there is still genuine love there and Calhoun always wants the best for KO. Ollie is trying to go it alone and I think Calhoun is still one of the only people (maybe the only person) who can get him through this and do what's best for Kevin and the University.

As for Whaler saying Calhoun is the reason we're in this mess, Calhoun had nothing to do with the terrible contract extension. He strong-armed KO in there and long term it has beem a mess but we still do have that 4th National Title. I want Ollie to be remembered for that. The longer this drags out and the more shut off and standoffish KO gets the worse his legacy will be and more unnecessary damage will be done to the program.

Reaction Score
I haven't liked your agenda for a long time but this is about where we are I'm afraid. This makes sense and most of us as UConn fans hope that if and when its resolved we see a mutual respect for the program as KO is still family. Won't be easy though. Sad times no doubt for so many reasons.

Reaction Score
I just hope Ollie doesn’t take is bad. He is still part of the rich history at UConn. The hardest part would be to fire an alum. I still think JC should still mentor Ollie, but never see him at the games anymore.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Since I'm not allowed to post in any of the threads I start I have to start another one to clarify what I said earlier. When I said this has to be handled right by Benedict and JC I wasn't talking about Calhoun being involved in the hiring process. That would be ridiculous and Benedict already knows Ollie has to go, it's all about the transition now, how it gets done. They somehow all have to sort through this mess to have the smoothest possible outcome in what seems like an impossibly unsmooth situation at the moment.

Even though Ollie has alienated Calhoun there is still genuine love there and Calhoun always wants the best for KO. Ollie is trying to go it alone and I think Calhoun is still one of the only people (maybe the only person) who can get him through this and do what's best for Kevin and the University.

As for Whaler saying Calhoun is the reason we're in this mess, Calhoun had nothing to do with the terrible contract extension. He strong-armed KO in there and long term it has beem a mess but we still do have that 4th National Title. I want Ollie to be remembered for that. The longer this drags out and the more shut off and standoffish KO gets the worse his legacy will be and more unnecessary damage will be done to the program.

For someone with such strong opinions, I’m not sure you are actually paying attention to what is going on.

Nor do you seem to have acquired any understanding about the people we are discussing.

LOL at the idea you are concerned about Ollie’s legacy. Not that I don’t agree with some of what you say but you’ve spent a year plus tarring and feathering him. It’s as ridiculous as me claiming to wish Bob Diaco well in his future endeavors.

This all leads back to the absurd concept that Ollie is going to leave $10 million on the table because someone convinces him to. Who would do that? Who would do that in this situation where the fanbase has lambasted him and the Athletic Director has gone dark.

Nice look by the way Dave - maybe if you fake your death this will all solve itself.

Here is how it works: Fire the man and pay him his money or keep him and tell the world you are keeping him so everyone can find a new topic to obsess about.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have seen him at most of the games too. He generally sits on the baseline near the UConn bench. Doesn’t always stay for the entire game

Reaction Score
I haven't liked your agenda for a long time but this is about where we are I'm afraid. This makes sense and most of us as UConn fans hope that if and when its resolved we see a mutual respect for the program as KO is still family. Won't be easy though. Sad times no doubt for so many reasons.
I've been beating the drum for like the past year and a half but it doesn't mean I don't care about him. It's not about hating him as a person, it's about hating him as our coach. He's made a lot of mistakes and the divorce had a profound effect on him but he's not a bad guy.

Diaco is and was always an idiot, I could care less about him.

Ollie needs to go but we should all want the split to be amicable. He'll always be one of us but he would be way happier as an assistant in the NBA and so would we.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I have seen him at most of the games too. He generally sits on the baseline near the UConn bench. Doesn’t always stay for the entire game
Seldom stays for entire game . Never has.

Reaction Score
Amicable, awful, doesn’t much matter. He needs to go. Sorry but I’m not getting all misty eyed over a guy who is getting paid big bucks and is failing at the job whether he is an lumus or not.

Reaction Score
Amicable, awful, doesn’t much matter. He needs to go. Sorry but I’m not getting all misty eyed over a guy who is getting paid big bucks and is failing at the job whether he is an lumus or not.

It is easy to forget that when he first started coaching, the team was placed on probation thereafter and the program was in a bad place, and he was on the sidelines when they won an unexpected NC. By many accounts, he was hot commodity then, and he could have left. He deserves credit for staying and for his contributions, and despite his failings as a coach, no one questions that he cares for the university. The program is again is a very bad place, and he also deserves some, most, or all of responsibility for that too depending on your viewpoint. His departure though should not be handled like he was some hired gun with no affiliation to the university. If at all possible, it would be beneficial to all if it could be handled with class. After all, other potential coaches will take note of how things are handled as well.

Reaction Score
I just hope Ollie doesn’t take is bad. He is still part of the rich history at UConn. The hardest part would be to fire an alum. I still think JC should still mentor Ollie, but never see him at the games anymore.
Ask Matt Doherty and UNC that question. He was one of their programs greats too and they were smart enough to show him to the door. Great person I'm sure but KO needs to go.

Reaction Score
Ask Matt Doherty and UNC that question. He was one of their programs greats too and they were smart enough to show him to the door. Great person I'm sure but KO needs to go.
I believe if they don’t have a winning record, he might be gone this year.

Reaction Score
Matt Doherty was a North Carolina great?
Yeah man, do your homework. He was one of their better bugs when he played there. He didnt light it up. You get the point, not hard to get rid of an alumn if this gig isn't working out.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yeah man, do your homework. He was one of their better bugs when he played there. He didnt light it up. You get the point, not hard to get rid of an alumn if this gig isn't working out.
I remember his team (beat Georgetown for the title) very well. All in all I'd say he's in the top 300 or so to play for the Tarheels.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom