Calhoun was cleared by Docs? | The Boneyard

Calhoun was cleared by Docs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I haven't seen a thread on this.
Ollie:
"With Omar, I trust [athletic trainer James Doran] with everything. … I believe the doctors already cleared him. It’s just mentally, when Omar is ready to get back on the court. I’m not in Omar’s head. When he gets back, hopefully he’s ready to go and he can give us a spark."

It's just "mentally, when Omar is ready to get back on the court?" What? What the hell is going on? Is emulating D Rose? Thinking about meetings when he's 50?

Redshirting him this year makes zero sense unless we're missing medical information.

Now I know why KO called him out. The docs already cleared him, but he's not "mentally ready"

If the kid doesn't want to play, boot his @ss off the team. Simple as that.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Omar not feeling ready is the problem. It may have something to do with another scenario I'd rather not think about.

Reaction Score
Great, it sounds like we may be down to 9 scholarship players.

Reaction Score
What is with all the indirectness on this site?

If the kid wants to transfer, thanks for your critical role last year in playing your way into a bench role supporting Niels Giffey's tremendous input into #4.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out - wouldn't want to get injured.

Reaction Score
What is with all the indirectness on this site?

If the kid wants to transfer, thanks for your critical role last year in playing your way into a bench role supporting Niels Giffey's tremendous input into #4.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out - wouldn't want to get injured.
Pretty sure admins made it a rule to not talk about the T word.

Reaction Score
Kid just may be scared of re-injury, and he knows his body and his history. He needs a strong hip to play basketball not a weak or vulnerable one. Sure he may be ready but he has his reasons (good or bad). Lets not rush to judgement/speculation, as its him who is putting his career and future basketball on the line.

H

huskymagic

Great, it sounds like we may be down to 9 scholarship players.

thank goodness now we can actually go recruit a wing or 2 who wants to be at UCONN and contribute every day. Tyler Dorsey, Newman, Blakeney, Brandon Sampson, Melvin Frazier all available for next year.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen a thread on this.
Ollie:
"With Omar, I trust [athletic trainer James Doran] with everything. … I believe the doctors already cleared him. It’s just mentally, when Omar is ready to get back on the court. I’m not in Omar’s head. When he gets back, hopefully he’s ready to go and he can give us a spark."

It's just "mentally, when Omar is ready to get back on the court?" What? What the hell is going on? Is emulating D Rose? Thinking about meetings when he's 50?

Redshirting him this year makes zero sense unless we're missing medical information.

Now I know why KO called him out. The docs already cleared him, but he's not "mentally ready"

If the kid doesn't want to play, boot his @ss off the team. Simple as that.

Calm down damnit! That's not the Uconn Way!!
Calhoun will play when he's damn well good n' ready!!!
if you have a problem with that - Keep it to yourself!!!!

We Are Uconn - Rah Rah Rah ;)

Reaction Score
Won't ever want or need your support, you jackass.
The irony if a transfer talk thread gets deleted, but this f----face troll is allowed to keep posting.

Reaction Score
I don't get it. When a kid leaves it's almost always about playing time. With the way we are playing, even he must see he could have all the playing time he wants.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sure sign I'm getting old and cranky.
I've got several people on ignore now and I haven't had anybody on ignore in the 5 or 6 years I've been posting here.
An even surer sign is that you are getting support here from some of those very same people.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The key is that as soon as he steps foot on the floor, he burns a year of eligibility (unless he gets re-injured). As of now, he hasn't played and doesn't even need a doctor's note. An MCL sprain you return from in December is not enough for a hardship unless perhaps it gets aggravated.

One possibility is that he still doesn't feel right and wants to redshirt, so he can have two healthy seasons and improve his odds at a good pro contract somewhere (he may still have NBA illusions, but at least a better Euro contract would be in the cards if he finished his college career strong). Maybe he could even have two years as a starter if he thinks Hamilton will leave this spring and doesn't want to burn a year to be a 10 mpg backup. Or at least he may want to keep the option open for the time being until he gets a few more practices under his belt. Another possibility is that if he leaves after the semester, he would still have 1.5 years left at his next stop if he doesn't play, instead of only a half-season. If someone planned to leave a program, burning an entire season for two games, for the program he didn't plan to be a part of, wouldn't make sense.

I present those as merely insights into NCAA regulations and their ramafications, rather than any speculation into what Omar's thinking.

Reaction Score
The fact is we don't know all the facts. Although he's cleared to play, how much has he practiced? Does anyone here think that he will be able to play better than the ones that are getting PT if he's barely practiced with the team? Let's be realistic here!!!!

Now maybe there is smoke to the fire what we are not supposed to talk about, but let's not flame those fires until there are some official articles on that topic. If you're looking for what gives a poster the green lights to discuss the T word, it's not until there is some actual article by a credible writer and not some off-hand response to a tweet or blog or whatever. An "I think you're on to something" does not meet that criteria.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it's so early in the season. The quality of competition (meaning teammates who play his position) right now shouldn't scare him away. If he could play anywhere close to what he did two season's ago, he would be earning plenty of PT. Now if he's still struggling with his game and is not close physically to get back to where he was during his freshman season, then he just might want to sit it out a bit more and consider if he should burn another season, or take a medical red-shirt or whatever. The fact is, once he sets foot on the court for even one second at this stage of the season, his junior year is in the books and can't be recouped.

Let's just see what happens over the next couple weeks with Omar. If he doesn't see the floor during the next couple weeks, then the smoke just might be signs of fire. Until then, who knows.

Reaction Score
The key is that as soon as he steps foot on the floor, he burns a year of eligibility (unless he gets re-injured). As of now, he hasn't played and doesn't even need a doctor's note. An MCL sprain you return from in December is not enough for a hardship unless perhaps it gets aggravated.

One possibility is that he still doesn't feel right and wants to redshirt, so he can have two healthy seasons and improve his odds at a good pro contract somewhere (he may still have NBA illusions, but at least a better Euro contract would be in the cards if he finished his college career strong). Maybe he could even have two years as a starter if he thinks Hamilton will leave this spring and doesn't want to burn a year to be a 10 mpg backup. Or at least he may want to keep the option open for the time being until he gets a few more practices under his belt. Another possibility is that if he leaves after the semester, he would still have 1.5 years left at his next stop if he doesn't play, instead of only a half-season. If someone planned to leave a program, burning an entire season for two games, for the program he didn't plan to be a part of, wouldn't make sense.

I present those as merely insights into NCAA regulations and their ramafications, rather than any speculation into what Omar's thinking.
Well if he thinks taking a medical redshirt is a good idea this kid's head just isn't in it. Also where the heck is he going to go, there is a great opportunity for him to get playing time here right now but I'm losing more and more faith in Omar by the day.

Reaction Score
Omar is healthy but isn't playing. I think it's pretty obvious

Reaction Score
superjohn said:
Well if he thinks taking a medical redshirt is a good idea this kid's head just isn't in it. Also where the heck is he going to go, there is a great opportunity for him to get playing time here right now but I'm losing more and more faith in Omar by the day.

It may be something he thinks is a good idea for his own benefit. Perhaps selfish, but you only have one college career and he may look at it that he wasted one year trying to play unhealthy. If he left, he'd probably be dropping down a level at this point. Maybe an Iona or Hofstra close to home - they seem to be Transfer U type places. Or watching Gonzaga with Wiltjer, they have three senior guards starting and maybe could try the same thing with Omar.

Or he might just not have felt ready on Friday and plans to play against Coppin State. We'll know soon.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I hate to go negative on a kid BUT if he was medically cleared to go vs. Yale yet is playing head games he needs to do it somewhere else.
After the crap in P Rico - there should be little tolerance and an ultra short rope

Reaction Score
I hate to go negative on a kid BUT if he was medically cleared to go vs. Yale yet is playing head games he needs to do it somewhere else.
After the crap in P Rico - there should be little tolerance and an ultra short rope
What crap in Puerto Rico? We don't even know what he did but it was probably breaking curfew. Not a huge deal.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
if you have a problem with that - Keep it to yourself!!!!

We Are Uconn - Rah Rah Rah ;)
I don't even know where to begin with this post. It's just wrong on so many levels.

You come to the forum seeking medical advice. You lambast a physician who says your problem is in your head. You function at work because you have to but can't throw a ball. And you write a sarcastic post about Omar's medical condition.

I really hope the explanation for your intolerance is because you are jacked up on meds or the pain and lack of diagnosis has overwhelmed you. Otherwise if this is your general nature you might want to figure out why you're so triggered by things and intolerant towards others.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Sure sign I'm getting old and cranky.
I've got several people on ignore now and I haven't had anybody on ignore in the 5 or 6 years I've been posting here.
You might be getting old. You might be applying new methods to how you deal with posters. You might have new handles (Frank Ivy, Strummer)

But I strongly doubt that being cranky and intolerant is something new for you. And the sad thing is I see someone who is really trying to be magnanimous. Behind all the bluster I see someone who really does care about people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom