Calhoun to Remain on Staff at UConn | The Boneyard

Calhoun to Remain on Staff at UConn

Reaction Score
Can someone post text? Paywalled.

[Can't do full text--Mod edit]

The exact role and description is yet to be worked out, because Calhoun, 75, is also a “consultant” at the University of Saint Joseph in West Hartford, where he and Glen Miller are working to start up a new Division III men’s basketball program as the school goes co-ed next fall. Calhoun plans to coach, though he cannot have that title and it’s not yet clear what his title will be.

[...]

“Forty-something percent of my life has been spent at UConn,” Calhoun said, “and I love the place. Always have. I enjoy what I’m doing at St Joe’s, it’s been fun, it’s enjoyable. I want to continue what I’m doing at St. Joe’s, and I want to do anything I can do at UConn to support them....And if Danny would like to run things by me, bounce some ideas off me, I’d love that because I love the game.”

Last edited by a moderator:

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Bottom of the article mentioning Bi-Annual Calhoun Mohegan event is being planned for this Summer. The architect is still very much involved & Hurley should feel the family support that took decades to create & a few seasons can't destroy.

Reaction Score
So right now we have three basketball coaches at uconn. If only basketball was a war of attrition — we’d be so golden.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
So right now we have three basketball coaches at uconn. If only basketball was a war of attrition — we’d be so golden.

3 athletic directors too. Big10 here we come!

Reaction Score
It still baffles me that Ollie was unable to maintain a good relationship with Calhoun.

Something tells me Hurley will be happy to pick the brain of one of the 5 or so best college coaches of all time.
I think KO felt he had to establish his own identity after taking over from a HOF coach and I can understand that. From everything JC has said they maintained a personal relationship but not a basketball relationship. At least that is my take based upon JC's comments.
I'd be curious to know what recommendations JC made to Benedict. I get the impression JC wanted Hurley in and KO out but that is just speculation. JC never really supported KO in the last few years.

Reaction Score
KO with many of his on court decisions regarding PT for certain players and none for others was to be polite hard headed and he didn’t obviously take advice and counsel well from Calhoun. He did it his way and it did not work. Hurley has enough coaching experience to run this and I’m sure he won’t shut out coach Calhoun out of respect.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom