Calhoun on Rothstein Podcast | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Calhoun on Rothstein Podcast

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley was at the Met game today and interviewed. Said all the right things emphasizing only one transfer. Said he could be tough and connect with kids, got a big endorsement from Met broadcaster Gary Cohn who said he expects UCONN to be back based on his and family’s coaching skills.

pj

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley was at the Met game today and interviewed. Said all the right things emphasizing only one transfer. Said he could be tough and connect with kids, got a big endorsement from Met broadcaster Gary Cohn who said he expects UCONN to be back based on his and family’s coaching skills.

Who was the transfer?

Reaction Score
All very nice, but I’d like to get his take on why the train went off the tracks for his hand picked successor not that I hold him responsible.
We’ve discussed this previously, but I don’t think he was JC’s hand picked successor. I think due to health and his impending suspension, Calhou decided very late not to return and wanted to see KO at least get a shot as a head coach, even if for a season or two. I don’t think he was sure KO was a long term answer as his successor.

C

Chief00

We’ve discussed this previously, but I don’t think he was JC’s hand picked successor. I think due to health and his impending suspension, Calhou decided very late not to return and wanted to see KO at least get a shot as a head coach, even if for a season or two. I don’t think he was sure KO was a long term answer as his successor.
Don’t agree.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nor do I. In fact, I felt like JC retired a year early (and late in the process) in part so he could use the leverage to get Kevin the job. He manipulated the situation such that the school had no choice.
JC was done. He was close to going full Bobby Knight.

Reaction Score
Nor do I. In fact, I felt like JC retired a year early (and late in the process) in part so he could use the leverage to get Kevin the job. He manipulated the situation such that the school had no choice.
Then why when asked after the 12-13 season when he knew KO was the guy did he bristle and say the easiest thing to do is win when there’s no expectations and no pressure on you? If he felt so confident that KO was the guy, wouldn’t he have taken credit for it instead of poo pooing KO’s achievement?

Reaction Score
Then why when asked after the 12-13 season when he knew KO was the guy did he bristle and say the easiest thing to do is win when there’s no expectations and no pressure on you? If he felt so confident that KO was the guy, wouldn’t he have taken credit for it instead of poo pooing KO’s achievement?
If Calhoun actually said that, which I doubt , that comment makes JC look pretty small if not bitter. My recollection is JC was more like any proud father proud of the success of their child.
Do you have a reference because that certainly would have been thread worthy.
The reality of the situation even if he was or wasn’t a hand picked successor it only got him a interim
contract.
I suspect KO was not Warde Manuals first choice as I think he wanted to make a break from Calhoun.. The cultural difference between Ann Arbor and South Boston is pretty significant.
When the predicted disaster of 2012-13 never occurred , Warde was stuck with Ollie .
I can’t even imagine the outcry of not extended KO late in the 2013 season.
The interim job killed a second recruiting cycle .
Signing him for three years worked out well for him as the 2014 NC certainly didn’t hurt his chances for his dream job.
As most UConn fans are aware George Blaney stayed on for that year but left at the end of the season but many are probably not aware that when he finally decided it was time to move on
He felt it was without reservation “ That the program was in great hands with Ollie” who he referred to as a superstar
So either these guys are the biggest bunch of liars around or some on the board are trying their hand at revisionist history.

Reaction Score
If Calhoun actually said that, which I doubt , that comment makes JC look pretty small if not bitter. My recollection is JC was more like any proud father proud of the success of their child.
Do you have a reference because that certainly would have been thread worthy.
The reality of the situation even if he was or wasn’t a hand picked successor it only got him a interim
contract.
I suspect KO was not Warde Manuals first choice as I think he wanted to make a break from Calhoun.. The cultural difference between Ann Arbor and South Boston is pretty significant.
When the predicted disaster of 2012-13 never occurred , Warde was stuck with Ollie .
I can’t even imagine the outcry of not extended KO late in the 2013 season.
The interim job killed a second recruiting cycle .
Signing him for three years worked out well for him as the 2014 NC certainly didn’t hurt his chances for his dream job.
As most UConn fans are aware George Blaney stayed on for that year but left at the end of the season but many are probably not aware that when he finally decided it was time to move on
He felt it was without reservation “ That the program was in great hands with Ollie” who he referred to as a superstar
So either these guys are the biggest bunch of liars around or some on the board are trying their hand at revisionist history.
I do have an impeccable reference, I heard it personally. My friend asked him when he knew KO was the guy to lead the program and he said clearly that the easiest thing to do was win when you have no pressure on you. We were both shocked, but he absolutely said it.

Reaction Score
All very nice, but I’d like to get his take on why the train went off the tracks for his hand picked successor not that I hold him responsible.

This place is full on insane. We have people arguing both extremes, NEITHER of which is true.

Kevin Ollie was absolutely NOT a train wreck from start to finish. However, he was also not destined for success and derailed, somehow, by nefarious forces, and did not need yet another season to prove he could get it done.

I'm not speculating on reasons, but clearly something changed with Ollie. He was solid at first, rode an ideal situation with Calhoun's recruits and assistants to a national championship, with enough of his own leadership and coaching to get Blaney to call him a "superstar", and then he fell off a cliff and couldn't get out of his own way as his teams proceeded to go downhill in talent, but still under-achieve.

It happens. Hard to fault Calhoun for what looked at first like a meh selection, then a genius for putting a "superstar" in his old job, then things went off the tracks.

Honestly, considering how things started, it's hard to fault Calhoun for that train running off the tracks, especially if the premise that his relationship with Ollie soured over time.

Reaction Score
Funny part is how it drove half the board absolutely batsh1t. "he's not letting these kids make mistakes. he's killing their confidence. etc etc".
I was one of those. Particularly Stan. JC was a one-size fits all guy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom