Calhoun on Rothstein Podcast | The Boneyard

Calhoun on Rothstein Podcast

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
“They’re better than people think they are,” Calhoun said of the Huskies Tuesday on the College Hoops Today Podcast. “The American is a little down compared to what it was last season in the sense that powerhouse teams like Cincinnati and Wichita State won’t be as good and I think UConn is a little up. They’ve got a player in Jalen Adams who could be the most talented player in that league and if Alterique Gilbert is healthy then they’ve got a terrific point guard and leader.” Says Calhoun.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What he missed: ecstasy of win, missed practices and watching kids grow.

On his approach: We beat you with what we did, not stopping what you did.

UConn at @ 12 minute mark:
Kevin Ollie was my guy... but the train went off the tracks and we needed to get a change. I didn't ask for a change or want a change but it happened. It was time for change.

To get UConn back Hurley needs to get good players, develop them and build a culture of winning. If you win in the American (23-25 games) you'll be just fine. Maybe not this year but we'll get there.

On the Big East: 6 of 9 old Big East coaches in the HOF. Big East was far and away the best program in America.

Toughest players at UConn: Butler (joy to coach), Freeman but UConn as a program had a culture of toughness and not quitting.

Love the game, but don't love seeing missed threes and bad shot selection.

On losses: Laettner shot still stings... half a tick away from going to the FF.

Why UConn will be better: Adams most talented guy in the league. If Gilbert is healthy. CV may play less minutes. American is down at little this year, and UConn will be up a little.

Will continue to watch UConn games because it is a place that he loves.

Reaction Score
Sounded great. (Just finished some grilled ribs (from Fieco's)). Bring 'em on. Grrrr.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
"...if Gilbert is healthy CV plays less minutes" pretty much sums up JCs thoughts about chucking 3s

I got to sit right behind the bench one game and it happened to be one of those games where UConn was struggling against a lesser opponent. Calhoun’s hook was in full aggressive merry go round mode. I always wondered what JC said when he walked up and down after a bad play. Coaching words of wisdom? At one point Rashad Andersen, who usually had a big green light, took a wild 3. Calhoun gives him an immediate yank and paces up and down yelling “did you see that shot? What the hell was that god damn shot?”

Reaction Score
What he missed: ecstasy of win, missed practices and watching kids grow.

On his approach: We beat you with what we did, not stopping what you did.

UConn at @ 12 minute mark:
Kevin Ollie was my guy... but the train went off the tracks and we needed to get a change. I didn't ask for a change or want a change but it happened. It was time for change.

To get UConn back Hurley needs to get good players, develop them and build a culture of winning. If you win in the American (23-25 games) you'll be just fine. Maybe not this year but we'll get there.

On the Big East: 6 of 9 old Big East coaches in the HOF. Big East was far and away the best program in America.

Toughest players at UConn: Butler (joy to coach), Freeman but UConn as a program had a culture of toughness and not quitting.

Love the game, but don't love seeing missed threes and bad shot selection.

On losses: Laettner shot still stings... half a tick away from going to the FF.

Why UConn will be better: Adams most talented guy in the league. If Gilbert is healthy. CV may play less minutes. American is down at little this year, and UConn will be up a little.

Will continue to watch UConn games because it is a place that he loves.
All very nice, but I’d like to get his take on why the train went off the tracks for his hand picked successor not that I hold him responsible.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I got to sit right behind the bench one game and it happened to be one of those games where UConn was struggling against a lesser opponent. Calhoun’s hook was in full aggressive merry go round mode. I always wondered what JC said when he walked up and down after a bad play. Coaching words of wisdom? At one point Rashad Andersen, who usually had a big green light, took a wild 3. Calhoun gives him an immediate yank and paces up and down yelling “did you see that shot? What the hell was that god damn shot?”

He said the effe word, a lot.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He must have loved some of the shots CV put up last season. LOL
Last season? That was CV from the instant he hit the court as a frosh. A real coach would have worked on that from Game 1.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
He said the effe word, a lot.
Yeah, I know. The real point is, JC clearly didn’t dislike the 3, not with kids like Ray Allen, Ben Gordon, Brian Fait and Rashad on his bench. But he did want good shot selection. CV I think is a good shooter with bad shot selection. Coaching not apparent.

C

Chief00

Yeah, I know. The real point is, JC clearly didn’t dislike the 3, not with kids like Ray Allen, Ben Gordon, Brian Fait and Rashad on his bench. But he did want good shot selection. CV I think is a good shooter with bad shot selection. Coaching not apparent.
Watching the team in practice and in warm-up last season, I never saw the team shoot well and I never saw anyone particularly stand out above the low threshold.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Watching the team in practice and in warm-up last season, I never saw the team shoot well and I never saw anyone particularly stand out above the low threshold.

They were never focused during shootaround. They weren't working on anything. Or even consciously warming up. It was a few dunks and 'ok we're good'. Probably one of the reasons they came out flat game after game.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I’d wonder if you charted CV raking shots in rhythm vs. gunning what his%would be in game time. Good form that also translates into good foul shooting.

Reaction Score

I think think the Yank was one of JC's strongest points s a coach. It was sadly missing with Ollie. I remember JC being quoted along the lines of saying if you wait and discuss it later, it has little impact. The Yank has an immediate impact and that message is more likely to last.

Reaction Score
He’s definitely going to hash that out in a public forum. Totally.
Said I’d like to know his true take, didn’t say it was likely or expected, and to really find out what went on we’d need someone in the program 24/7 like an assistant coach to spill.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think think the Yank was one of JC's strongest points s a coach. It was sadly missing with Ollie. I remember JC being quoted along the lines of saying if you wait and discuss it later, it has little impact. The Yank has an immediate impact and that message is more likely to last.

Funny part is how it drove half the board absolutely batsh1t. "he's not letting these kids make mistakes. he's killing their confidence. etc etc". Can't please everybody.

Quick hook worked for JC because that's who he was. No idea about Hurley's hooks, but I do know he believes strongly in not dressing his guys down in public. Comes from a reaction to his upbringing (especially playing for PJ Carlesimo in college).

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Said I’d like to know his true take, didn’t say it was likely or expected, and to really find out what went on we’d need someone in the program 24/7 like an assistant coach to spill.

While I'm admittedly curious, I'm more than happy to keep as much dead and buried as possible. Gotta move forward.

C

Chief00

They were never focused during shootaround. They weren't working on anything. Or even consciously warming up. It was a few dunks and 'ok we're good'. Probably one of the reasons they came out flat game after game.
I agree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom