Calhoun never lost to teams like this | The Boneyard

Calhoun never lost to teams like this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We already have two losses to low mid major teams...now we have to win the conference or AAC tourney cause we aren't invited with those losses

Reaction Score
With the amount of talent on this team there is no reason why there shouldn't have been 2 blow outs and Sports Center in a quandary as to which spectacular plays to show. What is Ollie's coaching staff doing? Why is Freeman, Moore and Killings on the staff? What do they bring to the table?

Where is Jim Calhoun?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
With the amount of talent on this team there is no reason why there shouldn't have been 2 blow outs and Sports Center in a quandary as to which spectacular plays to show. What is Ollie's coaching staff doing? Why is Freeman, Moore and Killings on the staff? What do they bring to the table?

Where is Jim Calhoun?

Retired and not coming back.

Reaction Score

Where is Jim Calhoun?

Have we even had a dunk yet besides Brimah's lobs? I'm serious. The fact we can't run to the hoop and get a dunk is absurd.

Reaction Score
Have we even had a dunk yet besides Brimah's lobs? I'm serious. The fact we can't run to the hoop and get a dunk is absurd.
I think you have to do like picks or something complicated to do that. That's advanced offense stuff. They will get to that in practice in the second semester.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Ollies not going anywhere, but my god I AM SICK AND TIRED OF HIS "I'M ABOUT TO CRY" FACE ON THE SIDELINES....most annoying body language to watch by a coach. A good example of amazing body language Ollie should emulate, Brad Stevens.

Agreed. It's permanently plastered on his face these days. Stop looking disgusted with the players when they're a reflection of your coaching.

Less this:
0690df7a-9df2-460d-a526-9776953f7a62_800.jpg

More this:
AR-160429664.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

Reaction Score
Agreed. It's permanently plastered on his face these days. Stop looking disgusted with the players when they're a reflection of you.

Less this:
0690df7a-9df2-460d-a526-9776953f7a62_800.jpg

More this:
AR-160429664.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

He looks like he doesn't even want to be there. Just cruising through disappointment like he can't change anything. You're the coach, Kevin. act like it.

Reaction Score
But if he is fired, there go his recrutes and the current players he recruited. It would take decades to get UConn back to being respectable.....we are stuck with him

Reaction Score
No, no, no. Calhoun didn't lose to teams like this.

Calhoun got ripped apart for SCHEDULING games like this. #fact

Reaction Score
But if he is fired, there go his recrutes and the current players he recruited. It would take decades to get UConn back to being respectable.....we are stuck with him

Ollie needs to take a long hard look in the mirror and go back to watch some sideline tape of himself in 2013 and 2014. It doesn't even look like the same guy out there. He looks like he's dragging the team down by himself.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
So tired of the woe is me face. Could it be that he's gotten used to mediocrity? It happens to people in the workplace and sure could happen to a coach. He's an energy vampire.

Not only did we lose to Wagner and Northeastern....WE LOST TO WAGNER AND NORTHEASTERN AT HOME. That's gonna help our ticket sales.....

Reaction Score
We already have two losses to low mid major teams...now we have to win the conference or AAC tourney cause we aren't invited with those losses
Being relegated to the AAC is the reason we lost these games. It's been a very slow process, imperceptible game by game, but being in the league we're in destroyed the football program and it's begun to take it's toll on the men's basketball program too.

Reaction Score
Being relegated to the AAC is the reason we lost these games. It's been a very slow process, imperceptible game by game, but being in the league we're in destroyed the football program and it's begun to take it's toll on the men's basketball program too.

Yea, this is not true at all. The team still has 8 top 100 kids. Being in the AAC will be the reason we have 0 top 100 kids in 10 years.

Reaction Score
So tired of the woe is me face. Could it be that he's gotten used to mediocrity? It happens to people in the workplace and sure could happen to a coach. He's an energy vampire.

Not only did we lose to Wagner and Northeastern....WE LOST TO WAGNER AND NORTHEASTERN AT HOME. That's gonna help our ticket sales.....
It is hard to argue with the energy vampire assertion. A coach being an energy vampire is flat out fatal to a team. It is toxic coming from a player but fatal from a coach. While player development, Xs and Os and recruiting are all critical, culture and attitude may be even more important.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
JC is one of the top 5-10 coaches of all time in mens BB
BUT he had his share of WTF losses
The big difference is that he didn't have the consecutively at the start of an over hyped season

Reaction Score
I think it might be time for KO to get some of that JC ire, both with his team and the refs

anyone calling for him to step down or be fired doesn't understand how that will entirely not help us. Seriously, we could lose 4 more and I'd still be on KO's side... Jim Calhoun is not walking thru that door

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It was said: Ollie needs to take a long hard look in the mirror and go back to watch some sideline tape of himself in 2013 and 2014. It doesn't even look like the same guy out there. He looks like he's dragging the team down by himself.

Watching on TV and being at the game lend two different aspects. I was not at the game last night - gave my tickets to my son, I sit directly across from the UConn bench at Gampel. During the Wagner game he was up and animated many times. My son told me this morning that he was up and about shouting direction and "getting into the defensive stance" more than not vs Northeastern. Dragging the team down? - I don't see it.
Adjustments needed? Ye,s but the team is young and needs to be tweaked continually. I am in agreement that these two losses look bad - real bad BUT ,in person, the Wagner team was bigger physically (not in height) and many among us were commenting it looked like a high school team vs a college team - physically. I am not using this as an excuse as many "lets get rid of Ollie" will accuse me but I think a team that is playing all upper classmen vs a team of basically freshmen and sophs has an inherent advantage - this does come into play. I feel UConn had the basketball skill advantage vs Wagner and Northeastern but were at a physical and experience disadvantage.
These 2 losses hurt and will most likely play a negative in any tournament at large bid talk (IF there are such discussions to be had early next year)
I am not cashing this season in and will wait to see how the conference play unfolds.
The one thing I will critique KO on is that I feel this team lacks a sense of cohesion - I saw it in RP, last year he was having fun with "his guys" and this year he looks like he is searching for kinship. There isn't, so far, a sense of the kids having fun as a group. Maybe I'm wrong but it is what I observed during preseason and the Wagner game.

Reaction Score
Yea, this is not true at all. The team still has 8 top 100 kids. Being in the AAC will be the reason we have 0 top 100 kids in 10 years.
Like I said it's been a very slow process, imperceptible game by game or recruit by recruit. It's something you obviously cannot perceive.

Reaction Score
JC is one of the top 5-10 coaches of all time in mens BB
BUT he had his share of WTF losses
The big difference is that he didn't have the consecutively at the start of an over hyped season
Um...actually, no he didn't. He had an incredibly small share of those losses in 26 years. For a program like UConn, a WTF loss is a non conference defeat to a non P5 (or an unranked non P-5 team - so NOT like Gonzaga or Calipari's Memphis teams). Sure, there are in- conference games lost to a decided underdog, but that happens from time to time everywhere.

In 26 regular seasons, he had 8 of those with 3 (Yale, Hartford and BU) occurring in his first year in Storrs (two on the road). The other 5 are Ohio in '94, Dayton in '01 (with Caron sitting out), St. Bonnies in '02, Umess in '05 and UCF in '12. Four. One of those (SB) was at home. KO has 4 (New Mexico, Yale, Wagner and Northeastern). Three at Gampel.

So no, JC won the games he was supposed to. In fact he was more uptight and intense in those games than many/most of the top 10 matchups. He wouldn't let his team use talent as an excuse. He believed that those games set the foundation for the rest of the season. We are a long, long way from those days.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Um...actually, no he didn't. He had an incredibly small share of those losses in 26 years. For a program like UConn, a WTF loss is a non conference defeat to a non P5 (or an unranked non P-5 team - so NOT like Gonzaga or Calipari's Memphis teams). Sure, there are in- conference games lost to a decided underdog, but that happens from time to time everywhere.

In 26 regular seasons, he had 8 of those with 3 (Yale, Hartford and BU) occurring in his first year in Storrs (two on the road). The other 5 are Ohio in '94, Dayton in '01 (with Caron sitting out), St. Bonnies in '02, Umess in '05 and UCF in '12. Four. One of those (SB) was at home. KO has 4 (New Mexico, Yale, Wagner and Northeastern). Three at Gampel.

So no, JC won the games he was supposed to. In fact he was more uptight and intense in those games than many/most of the top 10 matchups. He wouldn't let his team use talent as an excuse. He believed that those games set the foundation for the rest of the season. We are a long, long way from those days.

Thanks for defining a WTF loss
I think others have different definitions
and welcome aboard

Reaction Score
Yes he did. But not two in a row.
... nor did any UConn coach pick up a goose egg in any season's first 2 games going back 50-something years. Moving forward, just win baby. Go UConn!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
... nor did any UConn coach pick up a goose egg in any season's first 2 games going back 50-something years. Moving forward, just win baby. Go UConn!

... nor did any UConn coach take over a team with the death penalty. With that said, I really think Ollie's problems are personal more than personnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom