Calhoun coming back | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Calhoun coming back

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Basketball has changed a lot since he left. The hoop went from being 10 feet to 14 feet. Free throws now must be head butted in the net. And 3 pointers are now worth 3.5 points instead.

Wait... never mind the game is the same as it was in 2012.

If the guy thinks he’s healthy enough to coach, he’ll coach. It’s not stopping him from going to D3. I personally think Hurley is still getting the job and JC, if these rumors are true, might be more involved with the team then we originally thought just not HC.

I would be very surprised if he was back as HC
giphy.gif

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Basketball has changed a lot since he left. The hoop went from being 10 feet to 14 feet. Free throws now must be head butted in the net. And 3 pointers are now worth 3.5 points instead.

Wait... never mind the game is the same as it was in 2012.

If the guy thinks he’s healthy enough to coach, he’ll coach. It’s not stopping him from going to D3. I personally think Hurley is still getting the job and JC, if these rumors are true, might be more involved with the team then we originally thought just not HC.

I would be very surprised if he was back as HC

Actually, I think the game has changed. In the same way advanced metrics changed baseball, and "hunch" managers and "eye test" GMs found themselves losing, basketball has adapted. The three point shot is vastly more important, offensively and defensively, than it was when he retired. I think one of Ollie's chief failures was that he coached like it was the mid 90's in the NBA. We need a coach that embraces and understands what is currently happening in college basketball. Now, I think Calhoun is smart enough to have recognized it, but may be too stubborn to change much, and more importantly, that's just too much work at this stage.

Since Calhoun was more involved with URI than UConn this year, I think it's a safe bet that if Hurley comes to Storrs, JC will play a bigger role with the team.

Reaction Score
Are some people really against the idea of the greatest college basketball coach of all time coming home?
My Dad is 75 and has had Leukemia and Parkinson's. Still with us thank God but it has taken a lot out of him.
Calhoun is a tough SOB but do people really think he is going out recruiting, travel long trips to Houston Tulsa Tampa etc plus all other duties and not affect his health? Opposing coaches aren't going to use his age / health against him in recruiting?
I think college athletics is better with Jim Calhoun in it, but I don't see it happening.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Only thing that could make this scenario more unbelievable would be to have a source say that Calhoun was coming back to UConn to coach the womens team while Geno takes over the men’s program.

Reaction Score
My Dad is 75 and has had Leukemia and Parkinson's. Still with us thank God but it has taken a lot out of him.
Calhoun is a tough SOB but do people really think he is going out recruiting, travel long trips to Houston Tulsa Tampa etc plus all other duties and not affect his health? Opposing coaches aren't going to use his age / health against him in recruiting?
I think college athletics is better with Jim Calhoun in it, but I don't see it happening.
We’re going to build for a future with Jim Calhoun at age 76? He couldn,t take it 6 years ago. Remember the games he used to miss? Now he’s going out recruiting all over the country? Crazy.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If we don't get Hurley -

Idea 1) I would like to see us get back Hobbs or Burrell as head coach- Calhoun take on the Blaney role, Get a Moore or keep Chillious and get back Miller .

The associate head coach role works so he can work practices and go home at night and not have to recruit on the road.

Idea 2) get Andre LaFleur back as head coach- no Calhoun, bring back Moore and Miller .

My fear is we won't have the ability to pay $3M plus for an existing.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I, for one, would be elated. I get all the downsides, but if he commits to 3-4 year period (like Larry Brown whose same age), they will come. There are few Hall of Fame Coaches (let alone of JC’s caliber) that recruits would’nt jump on. JC can also point to all those first rounders and lottery picks he got to league. And, even in JC down years at end of his career, when coaches used his leaving and age against him, he still delivered ranked teams with results we would be all be drooling over today. The man is a legend, and if Larry Brown could take the slim pickings he walked into at SMU and deliver what he delivered, I am hopeful Calhoun can match or exceed with far better starting point. Plus, Uconn becomes relevant, prestige will return, and we will have no problem bringing in a top-notch coach later. I am stoked if this happens.

Ps. And you could bet Gampel and XL will be packed again. I myself would arrange at least three flights during the season all the way from California just to see that man coach in person again. Legend

South Bay, I'm in Foster City - San Mateo, are you S. Jose South Bay or further south?

Reaction Score
South Bay, I'm in Foster City - San Mateo, are you S. Jose South Bay or further south?
I’m the lesser known South Bay, the South Bay in Southern California. I’m near Redondo Beach/Hermosa beach/Manhattan Beach. But I have friends near you and they call themselves the real Southbay, but haven’t been up there in at least a couple years

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I’m the lesser known South Bay, the South Bay in Southern California. I’m near Redondo Beach/Hermosa beach/Manhattan Beach. But I have friends near you and they call themselves the real Southbay, but haven’t been up there in at least a couple years

Got it. May be coming down your way later today. Depends on my wifie.

Reaction Score
Got it. May be coming down your way later today. Depends on my wifie.
In better times, we would meet up for drinks while root on our Huskies while closing out bars. Soon enough we’ll be back. I take it you’re familiar with the area? Definitely lots of fun things to do here, but weather little bit crappy this week (for SoCal that is).

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
In better times, we would meet up for drinks while root on our Huskies while closing out bars. Soon enough we’ll be back. I take it you’re familiar with the area? Definitely lots of fun things to do here, but weather little bit crappy this week (for SoCal that is).

Same, lots of rain here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom