Calhoun-Chemistry will change | The Boneyard

Calhoun-Chemistry will change

Status
Not open for further replies.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Awesome quote.

As far as chemistry goes, I think people on here have been undervaluing what Kemba brought in that department and what it meant to the team. Granted, there's still a lot of chemistry between these guys ... you can see how close they all are, but chemistry can only get you so far if there is no clear cut leader ... and Kemba was exactly that.

That's why, as some on this board have been predicting a steam-roll of the schedule by this team next year, I've tried to subdue my expectations slightly. The team needs to develop a leader if it wants to succeed at the level in which it is capable of ... and Calhoun knows this. Losing Kemba's scoring, assists, defense ... all that can (hopefully) be made up. But replacing his leadership is an even greater hurdle.

Reaction Score
Leadership duties will have to be divided this year. Kemba was the guy who helped the team bond off the court, the floor general on the court and the guy they leaned on exclusively when they needed a bucket (until the SD St game when Jeremy showed he could also be that guy). This year, Shabazz will have to be the floor general and Jeremy should be the guy who wants to take the shots at the end of tight games. I don't know much about how these guys get along off the court, but it seems like Alex would be the guy to keep everyone tight knit and loose.

Reaction Score
I think Shabazz brings a whole lot of leadership capabilities to the table. More so than anybody else on the team. Watch out. I'm convinced if we make a deep run he'll be the engine to get Lamb, AO, and AD going.

Reaction Score
I don't know what it was about that shot, but I had a similar premonition. Perhaps a surge of optimism given the determined state of the team.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Kemba was very clutch and had an incredible will to win. Not many people have this combination. He was almost superhuman last season. We were lucky to be rooting for a team with this type of player. Most people become fans of these extraordinary personalities after they become famous. We were fortunate to go along for the entire ride. Not many people can replace these individuals.

It might take two or three people to do what Kemba did last season. And I can't imagine I'll face one close game after another thinking someone will carry us like Kemba did last season. But I'm open to being shocked.

Reaction Score
We need Bazz to be smart and steady- he does not have to be the hero that Kemba was last year time and time again. Unlike last year teams will not be able to push us around in the paint. While TO was great he was just a young pup with a lot of heart- we will have the paint secured this year in a big way.

JL is going to start the year doing what he did at the end of last year- that should make up for about 1/3 of Kemba's scoring. AD should be able to get another 7- or another 1/3 add in the improvement of the rest and the scoring is will take care of itself. I hope we do not need as many last minute shots- hopefully we can wear teams out by the end of the game and have a small lead- hopefully more then one position for the other team.

I think the comments about of schedule are spot on and it will give us time to get the chemistry fine tuned before we play the big boys. Kemba never took a play off- these guys have to have that mentality from day one and never take a play off even if we are playing teams that can not match us skill wise.

Reaction Score
Anybody remember all the bitching and moaning that went on when Kemba verbaled? "Calhoun has lost his recruiti.g touch!". "Why are we settling for plan D kids?". Etc... Turned out pretty well, no?

As far as the new leader, Alex Oriaki. He's vocal, he's a jr, he seems to command respect, he works his ass off. The leader doesn't necessarily need to be the one taking the last shot.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The talent is there, they may even be more talented than last year. But let's not forget, we lost a lot of games. .500 in the BE (which was brutal to be fair). So NC or not, the team didn't steamroll through last year, and it is unfair to expect them to do so this year.

That said, we hadn't won lately. The guys didn't know what it takes. Kemba showed them. I think this team is much better prepared to understand what it takes than it was last year. Kemba's leadership isn't gone, all those guys now know what it takes to win. Let's see how well they implement it. I think they may be more successful in the regular season because of what they learned in the tournaments last year. The gritty defense in the tournaments did not reveal itself most of the year. If these guys continue to embrace playing D at that level, look out.

Reaction Score
i remember thinking if we got to the final four we would win. when that shot didnt go down for zona i knew then. as far as the be tourney. i knew we would win when we faced louisville. i knew there was no way theyd beat us 3 times in one season.

Reaction Score
Anybody remember all the bitching and moaning that went on when Kemba verbaled? "Calhoun has lost his recruiti.g touch!". "Why are we settling for plan D kids?". Etc... Turned out pretty well, no?

As far as the new leader, Alex Oriaki. He's vocal, he's a jr, he seems to command respect, he works his ass off. The leader doesn't necessarily need to be the one taking the last shot.

I think most people were very happy when Kemba signed. He was a McDonalds All American at Rice High School.

Reaction Score
There was a vocal minority on the other version of this board that bitched when he signed. They wanted Jennings badly, and were pissed we "settled" for Kemba. He didn't blow up until he had already committed to us.

Reaction Score
For some reason AO seems like a senior to me. Maybe it's because of the great progress he made in the playoffs last year and the NC. I think this guy is not getting the press and he's gonna make people take notice, what with all the new guys talk.

Reaction Score
We need Bazz to be smart and steady- he does not have to be the hero that Kemba was last year time and time again. Unlike last year teams will not be able to push us around in the paint. While TO was great he was just a young pup with a lot of heart- we will have the paint secured this year in a big way.

JL is going to start the year doing what he did at the end of last year- that should make up for about 1/3 of Kemba's scoring. AD should be able to get another 7- or another 1/3 add in the improvement of the rest and the scoring is will take care of itself. I hope we do not need as many last minute shots- hopefully we can wear teams out by the end of the game and have a small lead- hopefully more then one position for the other team.

I think the comments about of schedule are spot on and it will give us time to get the chemistry fine tuned before we play the big boys. Kemba never took a play off- these guys have to have that mentality from day one and never take a play off even if we are playing teams that can not match us skill wise.
Bazz will be the leader we want. And as much as Kemba meant to the team last year, we have many more weapons than we had last year. Kemba HAD to be the man last year. We have a full stable of players this year.

Reaction Score
I think what we will see this year is leadership by committee. Alex will take care of the bigs, the 2’s and 3’s will look to JL and Bazz will watch out for the PG’s. Three new (highly touted) freshmen at those positions will be learning from guys who won it all last year. Not to mention all of the former stars that are on campus too.

The one thing that our returning players can’t be afraid to do is to call someone out and give them a swift kick in the butt. I remember a number of times last year that JC would call a 20 just to stand outside of the huddle while KW did his thing. SN and AO won’t have a problem being vocal while I believe JL will lead by example.

The one thing I like about Bazz it that he has the hustle that Kemba displayed so often. A couple of quick steals that lead to points can turn the tide of momentum quickly. Those are the types of plays that almost guilt you into playing hard. And if you don’t, then you get a face full of Jim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom