Calhoun and Daniels | The Boneyard

Calhoun and Daniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hurt us tonight with turnover after turnover. Also alot of one on one in 2nd half. Overall happy with the effort though. Wolf is a player

caw

Reaction Score
Hurt us tonight with turnover after turnover. Also alot of one on one in 2nd half. Overall happy with the effort though. Wolf is a player

I thought it was Boatright that hurt more. Can't fault the effort but, really only Napier and Wolf came to play, and UConn still almost won...

Reaction Score
Overall can't complain about the game. Lots of good to be taken from it and I hope they can carry forward some of it.

The Boat Show couldn't hit anything early, so that didn't help. My bigger disappointments were with Omar and DD. they need to start playing within themselves. It still looks like the game is too fast for them at times. That makes sense for the freshman, but DD needs to start settling in more.

On to the next one.

Reaction Score
Tyler was a non factor. Ollie was dealt some kind of hand.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Tyler was a non factor. Ollie was dealt some kind of hand.
Honestly when is Olander a factor? He'll have a good game once in a while but then disappear for multiple games Same with Giffey.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I still don't think SN has fully recovered from the surgery. Or perhaps he overplays to help out with the weak front court. But the kid was gassed in the second half.

Nice production from Wolf, but realistically two of the four players named OC, DD, NG and RB have to develop into reliable players to avoid this being a long season. My hope is that it that at the very least this is an up and down season so the guys don't starting getting down on themselves.

NG was not a factor on the offensive end but covered Leslie really well on defense. Also DD played the game with back spasms.

Reaction Score
I want to know the story with DD and his back spasms. I think he played great in the first half and was battling through injury in the second. His turnovers made me cringe and want to scream but i really think he was hurting.

Honestly, until omar learns how to handle the ball i dont want to see him near it on the break unless its a kick to an open 3. He caused multiple turnovers on the break tonight and just plain sloppy ballhandling alone. Hes done this throughout the season. I want the ball in bazz and boats hands as much as possible. Those were opportunities we could not afford to lose.

Reaction Score
I agree a 100%. 7 of the 10 TOs were by those two and they were just about all unforced errors. That's 7 trips down the floor w/out a shot. We hit on 2 to 3 of those, maybe we come away with a W.

We got outrebounded again, but only by one on the offensive glass. That clearly hurt us as well, but that was expected. This team can win even if they are outrebounded as long as they don't s*ck in other areas.

They're just not going to win often when they do 3 or more things poorly (rebounding, taking care of the ball, making most of their good looks...lots of squanders tonight, and key players not shooting it well such as Boat, Omar and DD.)

What I did like was the hot start, effort and Wolf & Bazz. The reason why the game was just a 4 point one was mainly because of those reasons. Evans brought a lot of energy again, but missed a few bunnies. Omar, DD, Giffey, Olander, Evans were a combined 6-21 and if you take out DD, it's 3-14. Many of Boat's points came late. He hit 8 shots but had to take 20 to get those 8. Just too many hiccups to pull out a W tonight.

Reaction Score
Every player except Bazz and Boat are still getting comfortable with the added minutes and responsibility to score. Hopefully TO, Nolan and Wolfe bulks up and Calhoun gets more comfortable and consistent. DD ongoing improvement is key.The core of this team will be really good next year.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I want to know the story with DD and his back spasms. I think he played great in the first half and was battling through injury in the second. His turnovers made me cringe and want to scream but i really think he was hurting.

Honestly, until omar learns how to handle the ball i dont want to see him near it on the break unless its a kick to an open 3. He caused multiple turnovers on the break tonight and just plain sloppy ballhandling alone. Hes done this throughout the season. I want the ball in bazz and boats hands as much as possible. Those were opportunities we could not afford to lose.
I agree. KO is forced to pick his poison. If he puts in RJE and has a three guard lineup, teams overplay SN and RB and play off of RJ. If OC is in the game he runs into problems with his handle but he keeps his player on the perimeter. This team is still young with RB, DD and OC very wet behind the ears and all three are critical to the team's success. The team goes as far as these three can develop because the front court isn't there. And yes Wolf played really well but I'm not sure he has much more upside. Hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
Boy I was expecting some improvement in Calhoun and DD re their handle and decision making with the ball but not seeing much if any. DD and his fouls and then back issues today so was hard to judge. Seemed to run better with Evans in their even if he can't shoot. Giff needs to snatch ball, that two handed rebounding let's others hold him with one hand and snatch away the ball with the other.
We were in the game at 53 all and with missed rebounds, almost steals, missed bunnies and unforced turnovers we left 25 points on the floor. Not sure how we are staying this close to a pretty good team, defensive hustle, Bazz shooting, Wolfey.
Calhoun really is starting to worry me re his decision making once he gets the ball and ability to even dribble. Getting RA flashbacks without the benefit of the nets swishing.

Reaction Score
Was at the game today. OC and DD are turnover machines. Either spot up and shoot or score points around the rim. They have no business putting the ball on the floor.

Also, RJ blew like 4 very makable layups today and a few of them ended up with NCState coming right back and scoring on the other end, thus they resulted in 4-5 point swings.

Reaction Score
It's funny how you can be one of the best high school players in the entire country and still not know how to dribble if a defender is within 5 feet of you.

Reaction Score
I literally had to put my hands over my eyes whenever DeAndre or Omar put the ball on the floor or got the ball on the perimeter because I knew something terrible was coming next. Me and my boys at the game were pretty much calling out either turnovers or forced shots from these two whenever they touched it, nothing good came from them with the ball in their hands.

Reaction Score
I literally had to put my hands over my eyes whenever DeAndre or Omar put the ball on the floor or got the ball on the perimeter because I knew something terrible was coming next. Me and my boys at the game were pretty much calling out either turnovers or forced shots from these two whenever they touched it, nothing good came from them with the ball in their hands.

Agree it's amazing how kids learn the game....ball handling is huge to be the optimal player at a high level and kids come in with little value of it........both seem to be decent ball handers, good enough to do some things but they don't know when to be "tighter" with the ball or just pick it up and either pass or shoot........tough game to get sloppy as NC State plays hard..........their TO's were huge

Reaction Score
Omar is going to improve (I hope). He actually does have an intermediate game and can dribble. What I see is he is forcing it against multiple defenders. I'd actually like to see some plays worked for him so that he can score in the intermediate game.

caw

Reaction Score
I should have noted, and after watching it again. Calhoun did play fantastic defense last night. He may not get it offensively, yet, but he is spectacular as a freshman defender.

Reaction Score
Both Griffey and Calhoun could help us on defense immensely . Giffeys d on Leslie was remarkable at times. DD has improved . He's just not there yet . Last year he could literally do nothing with the ball ,we've seen flashes this year at least .

Reaction Score
What's up with all the negativity towards DD. Look, I know he had a rough go last night with the turnovers and lack of rebounding but he was battling through back spasms. The kid is not a nobody this year; in fact, I absolutely love when he's in the ball game and when he sits out for long periods at a time I feel like he needs to be in. His offense will come as he gets more comfortable out there, it just has to. That being said it's not like he isn't producing at all this year... averaging a solid 8 ppg. Needs to be a little higher but he'll get there. I love watching him on defense. His length makes him an excellent shot blocker and a key rebounder. He works his a-- off when he's out there fighting for loose balls. The one area that DeAndre has not done well at all this year in is his ball security. I think with time, he'll be able to dribble the ball and drive to the hole without getting stripped or being sloppy. I think he's okay to do that a couple times per game because as you saw in the MSU game the kid has the potential to be explosive off the dribble. He has shown some mid range game and if he can develop that into one of his key "go-to's" he will be dangerous.

I know he isn't the favorite out of this bunch but lay off of him a bit and give him credit. He's come a hell of a long way since last year when it seemed like he was scared to even look at the ball. His aggressiveness is something that I enjoy watching each game.

Reaction Score
What's up with all the negativity towards DD. Look, I know he had a rough go last night with the turnovers and lack of rebounding but he was battling through back spasms. The kid is not a nobody this year; in fact, I absolutely love when he's in the ball game and when he sits out for long periods at a time I feel like he needs to be in. His offense will come as he gets more comfortable out there, it just has to. That being said it's not like he isn't producing at all this year... averaging a solid 8 ppg. Needs to be a little higher but he'll get there. I love watching him on defense. His length makes him an excellent shot blocker and a key rebounder. He works his a-- off when he's out there fighting for loose balls. The one area that DeAndre has not done well at all this year in is his ball security. I think with time, he'll be able to dribble the ball and drive to the hole without getting stripped or being sloppy. I think he's okay to do that a couple times per game because as you saw in the MSU game the kid has the potential to be explosive off the dribble. He has shown some mid range game and if he can develop that into one of his key "go-to's" he will be dangerous.

I know he isn't the favorite out of this bunch but lay off of him a bit and give him credit. He's come a hell of a long way since last year when it seemed like he was scared to even look at the ball. His aggressiveness is something that I enjoy watching each game.

I like Daniels. Kids develop at different rates, and maybe he has been a bit slow to develop, but he shows enough flashes to know he has the talent to breakout. I look forward to see how he progresses this year.

Reaction Score
Was at the game today. OC and DD are turnover machines. Either spot up and shoot or score points around the rim. They have no business putting the ball on the floor.

Does this make it now the 7th year in a row where we've had no ballhandling ability from the 3 position?

Reaction Score
We forced alot of shots. SN scored most of his points in the 1st half. We need a big bopper. I was really pleased with the effort though and Wolf was pretty good. DD OC need to let the game come to them. They rush stuff and OC was a vg scorer in HS but wasn't called upon to handle the ball and D1 ball you need a handle to create.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom