Caitlin vs. Pete | The Boneyard

Caitlin vs. Pete

Reaction Score
So, today Caitlin passes Pete's record. I know, I know. He didn't get the advantage of a 3pt. line, and he didn't play against women.

But why haven't any men broken his record? They also have the 3pt. line now, after all.

Biggest difference? The men don't stay in college for 4 years.

Reaction Score
First off, huge congrats to Caitlin for reaching such a huge milestone and for being such a great ambassador for WBB. A class act on and off the court. Secondly, what Pete did was phenomenal back in his day. A legendary performance and once Clark passes his mark, he will still be remembered as one of the greatest scorers in college basketball.

Now to answer the question on why no men has broken that record. A lot of players on the men's side are not given that freedom like Pete had to launch 20-30 attempts a game. Some coaches try to build their team around 2-4 players, unless you are Loyola Marymount (1988-1990 teams) and how they had the late great Hank Gathers, RIP my brother, scoring like crazy back in the day. Not many D1 programs allow that type of shooting. There are many players that stay four years. I just think that not many coaches allow that high volume of attempts by a player, unless a coach allows that type of freedom.

Reaction Score
He also got the record in 3 years. When he played freshman couldn’t play. So that’s another difference people don’t usually hear about. No 3 point line and 3 years… absolutely amazing
Definitely amazing. I can only imagine how many points he would have put up if they had the 3-point line in Pistol Pete's day. I think he would have been an early version of Steph Curry. Pistol Pete had range.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
He also got the record in 3 years. When he played freshman couldn’t play. So that’s another difference people don’t usually hear about. No 3 point line and 3 years… absolutely amazing
I guess Pete will always hold the record for PPG then. This would be an interesting comparison among the NCAA's top point scorers.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Tried to break the record on a logo 3. Didn't go in, but moments later got it on a pair of FTs on a technical foul.

Reaction Score
It's not even apples to oranges. There's no need to even make the comparison, other than clicks.

Reaction Score
Phenomenal player, that Clark is. Maybe the best ever in the Women’s game. However, to compare her record to the Pistol is disingenuous to Pete! I said it because today’s announcers wouldn’t/couldn’t. Doesn’t take away from her record, however -just the facts, ma’am!

Reaction Score
The records are different accomplishments of course because the game itself isn't the same. Era comparisons are very tough and really not fair because the circumstances aren't comparable.

Also if anyone came along and shot as much as Pete did there would be fans here posting about him or her being a ball hog. It's a UConn board and their fans have been spoiled to the way the Husky women have played for 39 years where the offense doesn't revolve around one person (which is largely a good thing).

Clark has done something incredible, taken Iowa to previously unheard of heights and brought many new fans to the game. Let's congratulate her and wish her well with the remainder of the season.

Reaction Score
This was called a technical foul. And this is the points that moved Caitlin ahead of Pete

Thanks for the replay, the broadcast only showed it once, which I felt was strange because usually they show calls like that ad nauseum, from every angle and speed. It didn't look like anything worth calling then, and certainly doesn't now. I respect and am in awe of Clark, but come-on refs, that was pure "protecting the star", along with the broadcast team doing the same!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks for the replay, I the broadcast only showed it once, which I felt was strange because usually they show calls like that ad nauseum, from every angle and speed. It didn't look like anything worth calling then, and certainly doesn't now. I respect and am in awe of Clark, but come-on refs, that was pure "protecting the star", along with the broadcast team doing the same!

If they called that every time it happened, every player would foul out

Reaction Score
So, today Caitlin passes Pete's record. I know, I know. He didn't get the advantage of a 3pt. line, and he didn't play against women.

But why haven't any men broken his record? They also have the 3pt. line now, after all.

No ... sorry you just can't compare it to men's NCAA. Its apples and oranges. I am not talking difference between men and women but rather the fact that men, the really good ones just don't play 4 years. One did play a 5th covid year but still came up short.

no shot clock, no 3 point line, only playing 83 games .... nope just can't compare the two.

tell you what include Pete's freshman numbers, 743 points in 19 games in his total and then compare.

good golly gee whiz the guy averaged 44 points a game for his career.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This was called a technical foul. And this is the points that moved Caitlin ahead of Pete

That was wild. Clark was getting that Michael Jordan treatment. You looked at Jordan and you got a foul.

Reaction Score
Throw gender out the window for a minute... the best comparison is Clark vs. her contemporaries. Beyond that... you could look at women playing college BB at the highest level across generations - different games, but it's interesting to hear the history and learn how those players dominated... even if the stats aren't comparable. But... I could've sworn I heard them talking about NAIA scoring records? If that's what I'm thinking of... you might as well compare my backyard whiffle ball records to Babe Ruth. C'mon.

Reaction Score
Throw gender out the window for a minute... the best comparison is Clark vs. her contemporaries. Beyond that... you could look at women playing college BB at the highest level across generations - different games, but it's interesting to hear the history and learn how those players dominated... even if the stats aren't comparable. But... I could've sworn I heard them talking about NAIA scoring records? If that's what I'm thinking of... you might as well compare my backyard whiffle ball records to Babe Ruth. C'mon.
They were saying AIAW, association for intercollegiate athletics for women. Pre NCAA , before NCAA got involved with women’s athletics. Look it up. Pearl Moore. Look her up also. There were phenomenal female players before Caitlin Clark… she riding on their coattails. Before talking backyard whiffle ball, learn some women’s basketball history for Pete’s sake. Pun intended

Reaction Score
Pete's senior year I was watching Big Eight basketball in the old Armory at Iowa State. The Big Eight player of the year the next year was Cliff Meely of Colorado, a black guy from Mississippi who wasn't welcome to play in the segregated (and hence watered downed talent) SEC. I just missed seeing our own Cyclone star Zaid Abdul-Aziz (aka Don Smith in 1968) and Jo Jo White of Kansas. LSU didn't even have a black player till after Pete graduated. He was sort of a phenom but shot a million time a game and not against the nations best players.

Reaction Score

Pete averaged close to 38 shots for his 3 year career so CC would have to play 6 years to put up the same number of shots. Pete was a great player but I think CC is the equivalent to what Jordan was for the men. She is already the greatest college player of all time and I think she will prove to be the same at the next level. She passes, she rebounds, she scores and most importantly she leads.

I was thinking yesterday during the broadcast and they compared her to a couple UConn players and it is hard to say a UConn player was the greatest college player when they are always surrounded by other great players. Teams literally triple cover CC the minute she comes over halfcourt and she still dominates. There have been a lot of greats, my personal favorite was DT with Stewie a close second but I have to give CC her due and she has earned the crown.

Reaction Score
Whoever called that technical should be barred from refereeing. That's not even a foul period.
At all. That’s done so many times throughout the game too.

And it’s not like Caitlin didn’t walk into her first

Reaction Score
Ok, first of all Caitlin has done something awesome.

Second, Pete’s record is more profound and will force an asterisk on hers if it is ever put in any record books just because she only did it in 4 years.

Third, yes, the competition he faced on many nights wasn’t stellar. So what? It’s always like that. D1 has always been a very uneven collection of talent, and still is, for men and women.

Fourth, Pete was also great in the pros, where the talent is much more evenly spread. And Caitlin will do the same. I hope she ends up playing next to Boston and Berger and they make Indiana into a dynasty.

All that said, but for the injuries, I think Paige is the better player in every aspect of the game, and she’ll show it in the years to come once she leaves the injuries behind. The scene with Maya and Caitlin only serves to underline this: Maya is a much better player than Caitlin will ever be, and isn’t about scoring records. It’s about heart and character, just like it is with Paige. Maya made teams win.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Ok, first of all Caitlin has done something awesome.

Second, Pete’s record is more profound and will force an asterisk on hers if it is ever put in any record books just because she only did it in 4 years.

Third, yes, the competition he faced on many nights wasn’t stellar. So what? It’s always like that. D1 has always been a very uneven collection of talent, and still is, for men and women.

Fourth, Pete was also great in the pros, where the talent is much more evenly spread. And Caitlin will do the same. I hope she ends up playing next to Boston and Berger and they make Indiana into a dynasty.

All that said, but for the injuries, I think Paige is the better player in every aspect of the game, and she’ll show it in the years to come once she leaves the injuries behind. The scene with Maya and Caitlin only serves to underline this: Maya is a much better player than Caitlin will ever be, and isn’t about scoring records. It’s about heart and character, just like it is with Paige. Maya made teams win.
This comes off as a back handed compliment. Why is this at all necessary in this thread? Are you suggesting Clark comes up short in terms of heart and character? And what exactly has she been doing at Iowa for 4 years, if not making teams win?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom