Caitlin Clark to the WNBA | The Boneyard

Caitlin Clark to the WNBA

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
But I kept hearing she was coming back for another year because of NIL. Oops, they were wrong again.

Happy for her. She's done everything she possibly can in college, ready for the next challenge. Brought an unprecedented amount of interest and viewership to the game. Got out ahead of it so there isn't constant speculation about her future all during the post season.

Reaction Score

I bet she is glad to put this out there so that she doesn't have to dance around the topic with every post season interview.

Selfishly, as a Boston fan, I wanted Clark to join the Fever because I think the Clark/Boston duo will be an upgraded version of the Clark/Czinano connection. It really excited me to hear this news!

Reaction Score
Like Paige, I’m glad she put an end to the debate before it reached its peak (March). Has to be a huge sigh of relief to have one less thing to worry about headed into postseason play. She is absolutely ready for the Pros.

Reaction Score
But I kept hearing she was coming back for another year because of NIL. Oops, they were wrong again.

Happy for her. She's done everything she possibly can in college, ready for the next challenge. Brought an unprecedented amount of interest and viewership to the game. Got out ahead of it so there isn't constant speculation about her future all during the post season.
Where's that tweet I saw with Sydney Colson blaming all the misinformation on men when I need it?

Seriously, a lot of the male pundits out there (Kornheiser, Wilbon, etc) kept throwing that lazy talking point out there. To this day I don't recall them ever being corrected, even by Candace Parker when they talked to her last week. Really disappointed as I thought they were better than that.

Reaction Score
Let’s all hope she can do for the W what she has done for the Big Ten. Massive increase in anttendance and TV viewership ( with pay raises to follow.)
True, but with USC moving over for the 2024 season, it will be interesting to see if Watkins has a similar impact on ratings now that they'll be on more accessible networks.

Reaction Score

Agree with everything in this post. Happy for her and it's a pretty bold decision.

I'm sure there will be many think pieces but like is there pressure on the WNBA to capitalize on all the buzz she's been generating.

Also I know there were no limitations, but does she get an invite for Paris 2024, and once again is it important for her to be in the team (I hate politics too but I'm just saying)

Reaction Score
Agree with everything in this post. Happy for her and it's a pretty bold decision.

I'm sure there will be many think pieces but like is there pressure on the WNBA to capitalize on all the buzz she's been generating.

Also I know there were no limitations, but does she get an invite for Paris 2024, and once again is it important for her to be in the team (I hate politics too but I'm just saying)
There should be pressure on the WNBA to leverage this, not only for her specifically, but for a lot of the players coming in from the NCAA. Maybe it's me, but I found their efforts lacking last year, even though they had players like Boston and Jones who have decent followings. There are a lot of great stories and personalities to showcase in the league as a whole.

Reaction Score
I bet she is glad to put this out there so that she doesn't have to dance around the topic with every post season interview.

Selfishly, as a Boston fan, I wanted Clark to join the Fever because I think the Clark/Boston duo will be an upgraded version of the Clark/Czinano connection. It really excited me to hear this news!
I'm with you, GamecockFam, yet I have mixed feelings about Caitlin's announcement.

Selfishly, I'll be sad to see the last of her remarkable performances for Iowa in coming weeks. I have truly enjoyed watching her play, and also seeing the beautiful interaction of Caitlin with her teammates, coaches and maybe especially the Iowa fans.

As a basketball fan, I'm seriously looking forward to watching her play in the WNBA. Getting to play with Aliyah Boston, NaLyssa Smith, Grace Berger, KLS, an improving Lexie Hull, and veterans such as Kelsey Mitchell will be quite the challenge for Caitlin, who's used to carrying her team each game.

If she and her teammates come together quickly, I'd expect the Fever to be a playoff team this summer, and probably a title contender within a few years.

I'd also expect my WNBA viewing subscription to be bumped up in cost.:rolleyes:

For the moment, I'll look forward to seeing what Caitlin and Co. have in store for us this Sunday, in the Big Ten tournament and in the NCAAs.

Congrats on your decision, Caitlin. I hope it makes you happy as the months and years pass along.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Aw man I was hoping we'd get a 5th year of Caitlin Clark show in Iowa City, but she has nothing left to prove and is clearly ready for the next level. Smart of her to announce it now so she gets a proper send off at senior night and again during the 1st two rounds of the tournament. It also takes the pressure off. Regardless of how Iowa does in the tournament, she's had an unparalleled career and has solidified herself as one of the all time greats in women's college basketball history. Can't wait to watch her tear up the pros with Aliyah Boston.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Aw man I was hoping we'd get a 5th year of Caitlin Clark show in Iowa City, but she has nothing left to prove and is clearly ready for the next level. Smart of her to announce it now so she gets a proper send off at senior year and after the 1st two rounds of the tournament. Also takes the pressure off. Regardless of how Iowa does in the tournament, she's had an unparalleled career and has solidified herself as one of the all time greats in women's college basketball history. Can't wait to watch her tear up the pros with Aliyah Boston.
Sunday's home game against Ohio State is going to be another level of insanity from the fanbase. Their last home game to see her play ever.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I'm typing while listening to Pablo Torres call her a "rational actor" and agree: she's going to break the Pistol's record this Sunday in her beloved Iowa arena; and, she/her team probably realized her marketing potential/value is easily going to translate from college to professional. Given that she's on a first-name basis with Jake from State Farm, I'm guessing she and Patrick Mahomes will soon be shooting commercials together.

As for hoops, I think the pairing with Aliyah Boston will be superb.

Now, here's the first question I had: will she get an invite to the U.S.A. National Team camp in April?

Stay tuned for the next chapter of the Caitlin Clark Experience. Thanks, Congratulations and Good Luck. Kill it in March!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know this will ruffle some feathers here, but this kid, and she is a kid in my book (just turned 22), singlehandedly changed the face of women's basketball. This coming from a diehard thirty plus year UConn Womens' fan. No one, I believe, has had such a nationwide impact on women's' hoops. Be it attendance, national media, fan following and role model, especially for for young girls, or just plain out of this world skills and performance, she has demonstrated her worth to the game. There are too many jealous (and uninformed) former and current players (WNBA), along with some sports talking heads who try to downplay her records or accomplishments (ie. she hasn't won a title, so she can't be a GOAT). That is all hogwash, and this kid has nothing more to prove to anyone! Wishing her all the best, and make bet she will dominate in the W as well!

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I know this will ruffle some feathers here, but this kid, and she is a kid in my book (just turned 22), singlehandedly changed the face of women's basketball. This coming from a diehard thirty plus year UConn Womens' fan. No one, I believe, has had such a nationwide impact on women's' hoops. Be it attendance, national media, fan following and role model, especially for for young girls, or just plain out of this world skills and performance, she has demonstrated her worth to the game. There are too many jealous (and uninformed) former and current players (WNBA), along with some sports talking heads who try to downplay her records or accomplishments (ie. she hasn't won a title, so she can't be a GOAT). That is all hogwash, and this kid has nothing more to prove to anyone! Wishing her all the best, and make bet she will dominate in the W as well!

Not ruffling any feathers here. Hey, please note this thread is in the General Women's Basketball Forum, where many of us don't have blue and white in our blood (well, in my case, blue and gold);)

Regardless of what team you root for -- UConn, S. Carolina, Stanford, Notre Dame -- WBB observers cannot deny just how special this athlete is. She is the face of college athletics this year and look forward to her next venture.

BTW, on that one absolutely laughable point, does anyone think Iowa would've made championship game, let alone the Final Four, without Caitlin Clark? Look at it from this perspective: Larry Bird lost his NC appearance...and then went onto win NBA and Olympic titles I suspect Cailin Clark will do much the same in the WNBA and/for the U.S.A. National Team.

p.s. Adding a UConn bent to this: do you know who will benefit from this addition to the Indiana Fever? One Katie Lou Samuelsson. KLS is a tremendous catch and shoot player and will benefit from CC, Kelsey Mitchell and, heck, even some inside-out passes from Boston.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She is doing the right thing for herself! she's got no chance to win a championship this season or next and in IND she'll be paired with Boston and be a foundation for a possible dynasty. She did achieve everything possible (aside them a championship) at the college level and there is truly nothing more for her to prove,

Reaction Score
I just can’t imagine being so ignorant, despite the multiple attempts of more informed people educating you.

It's not ignorant. It's being blatantly stubborn in his refusal to acknowledge it's possible that she's not losing money going to the WNBA. He's supposed to an expert on business sports. Instead he comes across as a grouchy WNBA hater because he refuses to believe that this move is a positive regardless of the financial impact. This is who he is when it comes to the WNBA it seems.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
It's not ignorant. It's being blatantly stubborn in his refusal to acknowledge it's possible that she's not losing money going to the WNBA. He's supposed to an expert on business sports. Instead he comes across as a grouchy WNBA hater because he refuses to believe that this move is a positive regardless of the financial impact. This is who he is when it comes to the WNBA it seems.
It's also blatantly misleading.
Just how did he come by the $750,000 figure? Clark, if my short-term memory holds, primarily is making her money from personal services contracts, not Iowa NIL funds. If anything, the State From, Nike and other contracts will follow her and probably grow. Andraya Carter was downright adamant about this last night and might've had folks like this in mind, with her "Stop it."

Plus, what an absolutely paternalistic, condescending take that he's right. As if CC hasn't addressed this as well, probably aided and abetted by advisors?

Reaction Score
If she does go No. 1 overall, Clark's salary will be $76,535, according to Spotrac. Her value on the NIL market is around $910,000, according to On3, with sponsorships including Gatorade and State Farm. Her entry to the draft comes at a pivotal point in women's college basketball.

Reaction Score
It's also blatantly misleading.
Just how did he come by the $750,000 figure? Clark, if my short-term memory holds, primarily is making her money from personal services contracts, not Iowa NIL funds. If anything, the State From, Nike and other contracts will follow her and probably grow. Andraya Carter was downright adamant about this last night and might've had folks like this in mind, with her "Stop it."

Plus, what an absolutely paternalistic, condescending take that he's right. As if CC hasn't addressed this as well, probably aided and abetted by advisors?

If you see any of his other posts trying to double down on his "opinion", he's tried to use the NIL collective argument and call it a salary. Problem with that is she hasn't taken any money for the Iowa NIL collective.

His tweet was tagged with a Community note stating she has endorsement deals worth over $900K. Totally different than accepting money from the collective which I suspect would be nowhere close to that amount.

Again, this is what he does. It's for engagement and he doesn't care how inaccurate it is. When he's been corrected, he's ignored them. If male colleagues who also are sports business experts would step in, that would be great but I haven't seen such examples yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom