Caitlin Changed the Game | The Boneyard

Caitlin Changed the Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've been wary of the hyperbole surrounding Caitlin, and especially the one where she's somehow changed the game, or done more for it than any players in recent memory. However... I think if we narrow the focus of this claim a bit, I'd have to agree with it.

IF we ask who has brought the most attention to Women's College Basketball in the last 25 years, I think it's fair to say it's Caitlin. A lot of it is timing -- lots of previous players have the skills and talent she has -- but the fact is her timing was impeccable. She came on the scene just as the audience for college basketball was ready for a change, and she gave it to them.

She's not the GOAT -- sorry that's Stewie -- nor is she the one who gave the WNBA instant credibility -- that's Rebecca Lobo -- but she is the one who got WCBB the following it has long needed and deserved.

Good work, Caitlin!

Reaction Score
Yeah I agree. Never really seen anything like her. I know the comparison has been made a lot, but she definitely reminds me of Steph Curry especially in his early years in Golden State, because you really had never seen someone do the things he did. It's a different feeling you get when watching, and I can only imagine playing against someone who's shooting from that distance and making highlights constantly. It's like disorienting, the crowd is going crazy, and the momentum of the game just totally swings. There were a couple of moments today that were like that. So even on some of the close out fouls, I don't even blame the SC players or Ash the other day, cuz it just seems so hard to keep ur head in those moments where she's just idk, impacting the game. Impacting the game is poor diction on my part, I don't have the words to describe whats happening.

Anyways I don't love GOAT talks. I know it's part of sports dialogue. But I blame Lebron a bit for making it so prevalent in today's day and age. To not be considered the greatest person to ever walk the planet earth at something is not even in the territory of a slight. But I get to fans it feels that way. But she's definitely one of the best players I've ever seen, and I'm glad ppl appreciate her. I mean it goes to show the depth of the game, and there are soooo many great players who never win in college. Dawn is one of them. I think of Skylar Diggins, Lou Lopez Senechal(jk just loved Lou). Obviously Sabrina Ionescu and Sloot are among them. So many more I'm really just thinking of the past 20 years that I've paid close attention to wcbb. But she's a legend for sure, and I'm glad she's been able to captivate so many ppl the past couple of years.

Reaction Score
I've been wary of the hyperbole surrounding Caitlin, and especially the one where she's somehow changed the game, or done more for it than any players in recent memory. However... I think if we narrow the focus of this claim a bit, I'd have to agree with it.

IF we ask who has brought the most attention to Women's College Basketball in the last 25 years, I think it's fair to say it's Caitlin. A lot of it is timing -- lots of previous players have the skills and talent she has -- but the fact is her timing was impeccable. She came on the scene just as the audience for college basketball was ready for a change, and she gave it to them.

She's not the GOAT -- sorry that's Stewie -- nor is she the one who gave the WNBA instant credibility -- that's Rebecca Lobo -- but she is the one who got WCBB the following it has long needed and deserved.

Good work, Caitlin!
I'd argue that not 'lots of players have had the skills and talent she has,' Bone Dog, but this a solid post putting Caitlin in perspective as she retreats into WCBB history.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I’ve followed the game for about 30 years and haven’t seen anyone change the public perception of women’s basketball or draw fans in close to the magnitude that Clark has accomplished.

For those who say she hasn’t changed the game—the results will show up 5-10 years from now when we get a bevy of young women with passing and shooting skills like Clark. The immediate results are that we might see teams structure their team around a ball dominant player like Iowa did the past 4 years.

Whether or not you consider her the GOAT comes purely down to your criteria. No knock on Stewart and what she accomplished, but it’s easy to dangle the championship requirement as a precursor to be the best when you’ve played with 10+ WNBA players through college. Clark didn’t choose to join a Goliath and took a different path, coming up just a hair short her last 2 years of college leading a slew of players who weren’t McDonald All Americans or future WNBA players. I won’t argue that she is or isn’t the GOAT, but she certainly has a legitimate argument for the title, as do several other players.

At this point I’m just grateful for all of the positive attention that’s on the sport and thank Caitlin as she’s been a catalyst of that. I hope the surge in popularity continues this summer in the W and it leads to better salaries, private flights, etc for the players. I also hope the popularity and attention continues into women’s college basketball next year where there is a ton of star power and young talent ready to make their mark.

Reaction Score
New poster here, as I am a casual Huskies and NBA fan. Confession: since last year’s tourney I’ve kinda fallen for Caitlin. She is truly a unique figure in sports who’s shouldered an INSANE amount of public pressure and hype, yet she seemed to meet expectations each and every step of the way, except arguably for the lack of titles. She really captivated me and my social circle. While I think her game is the most electric I’ve ever seen in the women’s game, it’s the way she interviews and conducts herself that really, really impresses me. Idk, she seems to have a maturity and perspective that just speaks to me at this stage in my life.

Not to mention Americans are far more divided than we’ve ever been, but riding on the wave of Caitlin’s influence for wbb has, I think, united many of us. If only for a short while.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
She absolutely changed the game! I've said it before and I'll say it again. She's going to have the first 20 ppg/10 apg seasonal averages in the WNBA and will do it a few times. We do not talk enough about her passing ability.
It's the best aspect of her game IMO. Her vision in the open court is the best I've ever seen, as is her ability to make lead passes to players on the run or cutting to the basket. She's going to be a star in the pros.

Reaction Score
How quickly people forget Paige's freshman season
Amen, Cornell Lt. Paige, since High School, has been staying for hours after games to sign autographs and pose for pictures with thousands of young women and girls. She's still as much of an inspiration for future young women basketball players as anyone else.

Reaction Score
. While I think her game is the most electric I’ve ever seen in the women’s game, it’s the way she interviews and conducts herself that really, really impresses me. Idk, she seems to have a maturity and perspective that just speaks to me at this stage in my life.
That's kind of her thing. :)

Reaction Score
Yep. Well said by all. Caitlin Clark has changed the game. What a phenomenal player and person Caitlin has become. Like Coach Staley said, Caitlin has elevated the women's game.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
How has she changed the game? She has brought much more needed attention to the game but, other than her logo threes, what has changed in the game? It is not played any faster or slower or above the rim. There have been many players who can see the floor like she does and make pinpoint passes, UConn has one. She is a very exciting player to watch and set many scoring records and almost single handedly made the WBB game very popular, but the game is the same.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
How has she changed the game? She has brought much more needed attention to the game but, other than her logo threes, what has changed in the game? It is not played any faster or slower or above the rim. There have been many players who can see the floor like she does and make pinpoint passes, UConn has one. She is a very exciting player to watch and set many scoring records and almost single handedly made the WBB game very popular, but the game is the same.
Okay, which players have changed the way the game is played? A few players have dunked occasionally, but the women's game is still played below the rim. Not aware of a single player who is responsible for speeding up or slowing down the game. This seems like an impossible bar you are setting.

Reaction Score
The lack of any kind of real assessment of Caitlin's game by the national media is beyond disappointing. There are some things that she does exceptionally well and others, well, no so well.

She has fantastic court vision and is an exceptional passer in an offense designed around her skill set. She has tremendous range on her 3-point shot and, while a very good 3-point shooter, I would not describe her as the best ever. Offensively she has a very limited mid-range game, and rarely takes a shot inside the arc and outside the paint. This may very well be by design, but it limits her effectiveness when teams are running her off the arc. She is effective driving to the hoop, but often relies more on getting fouled than finishing.

Defensively, wow. She puts virtually no effort on defensive, almost never raising her hands above her waist, half-hearted challenges to shooters and doesn't stop anyone driving to the hoop. Surprised her coach didn't demand at least something on that end of the floor.

Wonderful player, but far from the most complete player we've seen. Now can we stop the silly GOAT discussion for a 21 year old kid?

Reaction Score
I'd say she didn't change the game itself but changed how it's perceived and received by a larger audience.

I'm old and remember the evolutions of Swoopes, undefeated UConn, the 96 Olympic Team, the LVs 3 peat with Holdsclaw, the Huskies 3 peat with DT, Parker, Moore, Griner, the four peat with Stewie, Ionescu coming on the scene, the sensational PB freshman year and then Clark's national stage debut.

All of those events over a 30 year span helped move the sport forward in incremental steps but none of them caused the significant leap Clark's presence and persona did. Casual men's fans were watching and talking about it, the national media covered her like no one before (yes it got tiresome) and for a sport that has practially begged for attention for most of my lifetime she delivered it and more.

The WNBA has been hyping up future stars for 25 years to help grow their sport and none have taken off but it too has seen a small and slow upward trend in attendance and viewership. There is an audience there but it will never be what it has been in Iowa even if she takes the league by storm but she made some new fans for a sport that needs all they can get.

Lobo's ESPN article said it better than I could so check it out if you can.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Okay, which players have changed the way the game is played? A few players have dunked occasionally, but the women's game is still played below the rim. Not aware of a single player who is responsible for speeding up or slowing down the game. This seems like an impossible bar you are setting.
I am responding to the post stating that Clark changed the way the game is played. You tell me which players have changed the game. Some rule changes have changed the game but no player that I can think of. Also, I did not set the bar.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure it's possible to truly change the game, but where wbb is concerned, I hadn't felt "anticipation" like I did when CC had the ball. Every time she started dribbling the ball up court you never knew what was going to happen, but you sensed it was going to be entertaining: a long outlet pass, a dribble drive layup, a bomb, a step-back three, etc. In one sense, maybe she elevated the game to a more entertaining product, which at the end of the day is all any sport wants for its fans. In that vein, she got a ton of other eyeballs on other women superstars.

And obviously she was coached not to play tight defense because if she got in foul trouble, Iowa was cooked.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure it's possible to truly change the game, but where wbb is concerned, I hadn't felt "anticipation" like I did when CC had the ball. Every time she started dribbling the ball up court you never knew what was going to happen, but you sensed it was going to be entertaining: a long outlet pass, a dribble drive layup, a bomb, a step-back three, etc. In one sense, maybe she elevated the game to a more entertaining product, which at the end of the day is all any sport wants for its fans. In that vein, she got a ton of other eyeballs on other women superstars.

And obviously she was coached not to play tight defense because if she got in foul trouble, Iowa was cooked.

I'm not talking about "tight" defense. I'm talking about any defense. Can still have your hands up and cover passing lanes.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I know, stats are just numbers, whatever. Have you seen her final tally? She was 50 points and 10 rebounds short of 4000/1000/1000. That is INSANE! Nobody will ever get remotely close to that again. Also got up to 1144 in assists, good for #3 all time. #1 scorer and #3 in assists. Again, INSANE. Depending on how many of her assists were on 3 point buckets, we're talking around 6300 points she had a direct hand in.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Offensively she has a very limited mid-range game, and rarely takes a shot inside the arc and outside the paint. This may very well be by design, but it limits her effectiveness when teams are running her off the arc. She is effective driving to the hoop, but often relies more on getting fouled than finishing.
Quick, someone hire JonathanXIV to their coaching staff! The most potent offense in the country for 3 consecutive seasons wasn't optimized, according to this savant. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom