OT: - CA Moves Forward with Bill Allowing Student Athletes to Profit from Name & Likeness | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: CA Moves Forward with Bill Allowing Student Athletes to Profit from Name & Likeness

Reaction Score
How much mo ney
does the school make off that $60 grand?

They probably made a lot of money off of Ian Book, but not so much off of of DJ Brown, but they both wear #12. Who decides how much goes to Book and how much goes to Brown.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
How much mo ney
does the school make off that $60 grand?
In the abstract that is probably not measurable. If they didn't give those scholarships, they wouldn't make any of the revenue they make from having college sports. But quantifying the contribution of a specific individual, not practical.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
In this far ranging discussion, a number of different issues have been debated.

Costs of college crept in. In addition to not being a subject for this forum, there are probably a million differing opinions on the subject from numerous different angles. Not going there.

As to student-athletes being "paid" via their scholarship, books, per diem , et al - in a certain sense, they are. They have essentially contracted their services as an athlete in exchange for the selection of items they currently receive. I'm pretty sure not one athlete is forced to attend a certain school for this benefit. If it doesn't work, they don't have to go.

That said, I would argue that our current system of using college as the minor leagues, particularly in hoops and football, results in a lot of folks in the school that don't necessarily belong there. Not everyone - and not every athlete - is prepared for a college education. Lots of jobs - and well paying ones - in the trades and through technical school, for those who are not going to have a career in athletics. And in some of these sports, the athletes leave early in any case and don't graduate - either at all or until later.

I would argue that athletes should be able to profit from at least some aspects of being a college athlete - the school should have certain retained rights (game images, for example) and the athlete should have the right to contract use of their name for selling merchandise (uniforms, bobble heads, whatnot) outside of the school. Details I don't know, but makes sort of sense to me.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The argument that players are being paid because they're getting free tuition is beyond ridiculous. This is a capitalist country, capping how much money a person can make based on the tuition of a particular school is not how capitalism is supposed to work. A lot of these players are worth hundreds of times the tuition. How much money did Ray Allen make for UConn when he was here? How much money could he have made in an open market? How much money could he have made just in marketing revenue?

If the NCAA doesn't start giving players some way to earn money, the NBA is going to solve the problem for them. The G league is going to start looking pretty attractive to 5 star recruits. Once that ball starts rolling, the NCAA will have no recourse.

I will stay out of the player compensation issues but not sure the G league (or equivalently, international leagues) is a good option for most potential high draft picks. Staying in college for that 1 year usually provides the best venue for the player to look like a world beater playing against good but not great competition.,

Stick these physically developing kids into a G league with older more physical and more desperate players will show a lot of chinks in the armor of these players which can cost them NBA draft position (not to mention more chances for injury)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom