C7 to announce league membership tomorrow? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

C7 to announce league membership tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UMass and Tulsa??? Really????
As much as I hate the ACC I can't wait until they get poached and are forced to add UConn and Cincy, making the Big East 2.0

Furthermore, Andy Katz reported yesterday that the Big East football (under whatever name) will target Tulsa and Massachusetts.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
They associated 30+ years ago. Surely you're not suggesting that decision-making process still applies today.

VCU would be a mistake IMHO. If they want that area, they should take Richmond.

No, certainly I'm not suggesting that a decision they made 30 years ago still applies today! Certainly not. How about last year, though? How about until, presumably, Tulane changed their minds according to the Marquette AD (although we all know it had less to do with Tulane coming in and more to do with Louisville and Rutgers leaving).

They knew that meant the contract would be much much less than it would have been had those teams stayed. That's when they made their decision. F#$k 30 years ago....I'm talking about a few months ago!!!

Reaction Score
The more that I read about the Big East's decision making process over the last decade, I envision closed door sessions with Curley, Larry, & Moe on one side of the table arguing with Huey, Dewey, & Louie on the other. Meanwhile, Bozo the Clown is rapping his gavel trying to bring order to the sessions.

Reaction Score
Rovell is reporting the C7 are required to add five schools and are getting $500M over 10 years. so roughly $4.2M per school per year from Fox (it will be on the Fox1 channel).

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
If you look at the geography thing Temple, UConn and Cincy are the only teams in the NNBE in the footprint of the Catholic Schools and Nova/Xavier have Philly/Cincy covered. Lose UConn and what's the sense of being in the same league?

SMU, Houston, Tulane, UCF, USF, ECU? Adding Southern Miss or Tulsa or UNLV or SDSU? The geography simply doesn't make sense to the Catholic Schools. It's not difficult to see the rift. It's largely a Northern league and the NNBE is heading South.

Reaction Score
Seems the C7 will be pushing for an early departure as Fox Sports 1 needs programming immediately. This might be the last season we play many of the C7 schools.

I was hoping we would have 1 more year with the C7 so it buys us time to get into a better situation.

Reaction Score
Seems the C7 will be pushing for an early departure as Fox Sports 1 needs programming immediately. This might be the last season we play many of the C7 schools.

I was hoping we would have 1 more year with the C7 so it buys us time to get into a better situation.

Let them go. Just get paid.

Reaction Score
If you look at the geography thing Temple, UConn and Cincy are the only teams in the NNBE in the footprint of the Catholic Schools and Nova/Xavier have Philly/Cincy covered. Lose UConn and what's the sense of being in the same league?

SMU, Houston, Tulane, UCF, USF, ECU? Adding Southern Miss or Tulsa or UNLV or SDSU? The geography simply doesn't make sense to the Catholic Schools. It's not difficult to see the rift. It's largely a Northern league and the NNBE is heading South.

Do you realize they are looking at Creighton and Butler and St. Louis?
Added to DePaul and Marquette?

They'll have 5 members in Indiana and west. Creighton is in Nebraska--that will be a difficult trip.

Reaction Score
Rovell is reporting the C7 are required to add five schools and are getting $500M over 10 years. so roughly $4.2M per school per year from Fox (it will be on the Fox1 channel).

12 years, not 10.

Reaction Score
So if the C7 are getting 5m a year lets presume schools like DePaul, PC and SHU are worth about 1.5m a year. To average that out Georgetown, Marquette and Butler would be worth around 8.5m. Comparatively speaking - UConn MBB should then be worth 10m. Let's say our football is worth another 3M, then we are worth 13M a year. As we would be above the NNBE average, we should probably hope for around 10M from the new TV contract. Anything less than that will be highly disappointing.

Reaction Score
So if the C7 are getting 5m a year lets presume schools like DePaul, PC and SHU are worth about 1.5m a year. To average that out Georgetown, Marquette and Butler would be worth around 8.5m. Comparatively speaking - UConn MBB should then be worth 10m. Let's say our football is worth another 3M, then we are worth 13M a year. As we would be above the NNBE average, we should probably hope for around 10M from the new TV contract. Anything less than that will be highly disappointing.

But, there's a tradeoff.
Aresco, from recent reports, is going with ESPN.
This should mean that UConn gets more exposure while the Catholics languish on a station with less reach. They get more money but less exposure.
That's always the trade-off with ESPN.

Reaction Score

You use a formula that shows Georgetown and 'Nova not taking more money than PC out of the pot to justify a conclusion that UConn should be paid its share based not on the conference average but its intrinsic value? How in the world does that conclusion flow from that premise?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Do you realize they are looking at Creighton and Butler and St. Louis?
Added to DePaul and Marquette?

They'll have 5 members in Indiana and west. Creighton is in Nebraska--that will be a difficult trip.

Not for DePaul, Marquette, SLU or Butler it won't.

Reaction Score
Not for DePaul, Marquette, SLU or Butler it won't.

Did you read the post I was replying to? Do you understand why I wrote what I wrote?

I mean, the logical response to your post is, Tulane is not a difficult trip for SMU and Houston, but that's not what we are talking about.

We're talking about the footprint of the CYO7 compared to the footprint of the BE.

Both conferences are going to have members west of Indiana. SMU, Tulane, Houston for the BE, DePaul, Marquette, St. Louis, Creighton and Butler for the CYO7.

This means that arguments about travel really don't hold up.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But, there's a tradeoff.
Aresco, from recent reports, is going with ESPN.
This should mean that UConn gets more exposure while the Catholics languish on a station with less reach. They get more money but less exposure.
That's always the trade-off with ESPN.

Same deal, less teams? Could be a win-win. Well kind of. I can't believe that we'd be less of a whipping boy now than before the great exodus.

Reaction Score
Same deal, less teams? Could be a win-win. Well kind of. I can't believe that we'd be less of a whipping boy now than before the great exodus.

The current deal is for $3 million a year. That would be a travesty.

CL82

Reaction Score
The current deal is for $3 million a year. That would be a travesty.

Per all sports team? Say it ain't so!

Reaction Score
You use a formula that shows Georgetown and 'Nova not taking more money than PC out of the pot to justify a conclusion that UConn should be paid its share based not on the conference average but its intrinsic value? How in the world does that conclusion flow from that premise?

There's not enough info in his post to come to any conclusions, but he did drop Uconn's payout from what he valued it to a number someone below that value. Generally speaking, I'd guess that Seton Hall, St. Louis, Creighton and all the teams not named Georgetown, Marquette, Butler, Villanova and St. John's to have the same value as the teams not named UConn, Cincy, Memphis and Temple-->little to none. If you get to $4m for basketball average like the CYO league, then add football to it, you might expect say $7m total (assuming about $3m for football) for UConn. Then add tier3 on SNY and you pobably get another $4m (i.e. $1.5m for women, $1.5m for men, $1m for football).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Did you read the post I was replying to? Do you understand why I wrote what I wrote?

I mean, the logical response to your post is, Tulane is not a difficult trip for SMU and Houston, but that's not what we are talking about.

We're talking about the footprint of the CYO7 compared to the footprint of the BE.

Both conferences are going to have members west of Indiana. SMU, Tulane, Houston for the BE, DePaul, Marquette, St. Louis, Creighton and Butler for the CYO7.

This means that arguments about travel really don't hold up.

But west isn't the only direction. North-South also applies. Florida is just as far as Omaha. So the travel will be better, especially if they break into two six team east-west divisions with round robin play within the division, and fewer games outside of it.

The biggest problem with the NNBE is that the teams were increasing not just west, but south. And all the likely additions were also either south or far west. I think the C7 did exactly the right thing, and I look forward to them putting together a strong baskteball focused league, and the Big East was intended.

Reaction Score
But west isn't the only direction. North-South also applies. Florida is just as far as Omaha. So the travel will be better, especially if they break into two six team east-west divisions with round robin play within the division, and fewer games outside of it.

The biggest problem with the NNBE is that the teams were increasing not just west, but south. And all the likely additions were also either south or far west. I think the C7 did exactly the right thing, and I look forward to them putting together a strong baskteball focused league, and the Big East was intended.

The flight to warm Florida is a pleasure and a cinch. It's direct Now try flying direct from Philly to chilly Nebraska. You can't. In fact, there are direct flights everywhere to Dallas and Houston as well.

Reaction Score
No, certainly I'm not suggesting that a decision they made 30 years ago still applies today! Certainly not. How about last year, though? How about until, presumably, Tulane changed their minds according to the Marquette AD (although we all know it had less to do with Tulane coming in and more to do with Louisville and Rutgers leaving).

They knew that meant the contract would be much much less than it would have been had those teams stayed. That's when they made their decision. F#$k 30 years ago....I'm talking about a few months ago!!!

The decision to stay in a relationship is much different than one made from scratch about whom to associate with.

Reaction Score

That's why I said we should expect around 10M even though our value is about 13M

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes, that's the current deal (not counting tier 3 rights).
Got it that's per team # now, not the ESPN offer that was rejected, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom