C. Collier to the W | Page 2 | The Boneyard

C. Collier to the W

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Collier is one of those centers that may develop over a few years in the WNBA - Russell was one who didn't get much coaching at TN but seems to be finding her spot. TX up until this year with Vic wasn't a really well coached team.

Reaction Score
Collier would likely improve with another year under her belt with Vic but the entire world has been crazy for a year now. This draft doesn't look to have too many sure things in terms of legit WNBA starters but some great supporting cast players could come out of it.

There will be more and more players declaring early in the coming years as the money is tough to pass up. It makes me feel old but all of these young ladies playing college ball now have never known a world without the WNBA. The fact they can stay in the US and make money playing (no it's not significant money but it is much better than most 21/22 year olds get in their first job out of school).

Collier has a good frame and could be a solid to very good WNBA player. This draft will be an interesting one.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
My bad. You are correct.
No biggie. There was much discussion of this when it happened. Geno felt strongly that she belonged on center court with Moriah and Stewie on Senior Day. I'm not sure why Morgan waited to announce but she did.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No biggie. There was much discussion of this when it happened. Geno felt strongly that she belonged on center court with Moriah and Stewie on Senior Day. I'm not sure why Morgan waited to announce but she did.
I suspect Tuck did not want her decision to be a distraction for her teammates while they were chasing a 4th straight championship, which is why I’m a little surprised that Collier did not wait until TX was done competing this season.

Reaction Score
Her stock is as high as it can be. And she has probably seen enough of Baylor

By the way, what is the deadline to declare?
24 hours after the Final game of the NCAA tournament, I believe.

Reaction Score
I suspect Tuck did not want her decision to be a distraction for her teammates while they were chasing a 4th straight championship, which is why I’m a little surprised that Collier did not wait until TX was done competing this season.
They are done, unless there is a women’s NIT.

Reaction Score
The B12 tournament is this week. And they are projected as a 7 seed in the NCAAT, so they aren't done.

(And yes there is a WNIT, but with 32 teams instead of 64 this year.)
You are of course correct. I got caught up in Finals day today; thanks for setting me straight.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Good choice for her if she wants to stay home. Should be the easy pick for #1 overall which wasn't necessarily the case had she stayed her senior year. No qualms at all with her declaring early either....probably is best to get it out of the way so it isn't weighing on her shoulders. She has a lot of tools to be great but needs to add some toughness. Reminds me a bit of Azura Stevens in that regard. Both could be fantastic stretch 4s, ala a modern day Tangela Smith but they need to become stronger inside.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Announcing might help Texas’s recruiting

Come on over Jessika Carter. She knows Vics system and what Harris expects from post players. I can see her leaving the bulldogs for the longhorns.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I mean she is going to graduate early so good for her. I do think she could use another year in college. She is going to get humbled real quick in the W.

Reaction Score
difference with Tuck is she had completed 4 years with her class she came in with and her decision was "do I want to stay for a 5th year", whereas Collier is leaving early after 3 years so it isnt really the same situation. I would compare it more with Megan Walker's decision who left early but could have probably done with staying another year in hindsight.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Ok then why declare so early? :confused:

Not a great message to your team I think as they prepare for the postseason?
Maybe for team clarity, they now definitely know tht they should recruit someone to replace her, for motivation, maybe her teammates will give tht extra effort to win one for her, (being a fan of UCONN I personally thk motivation should go along with the signing of a players L.O.I), and Peace of mind on her part, plus if the Wings take her as the #1 pick she'll be playing very close to home, remember tht was the reason she reneged on UCONN. jmo

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Collier is one of those centers that may develop over a few years in the WNBA - Russell was one who didn't get much coaching at TN but seems to be finding her spot. TX up until this year with Vic wasn't a really well coached team.
She won't be playing Center in the WNBA. She is a stretch-four with very good 3-point shooting.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
difference with Tuck is she had completed 4 years with her class she came in with and her decision was "do I want to stay for a 5th year", whereas Collier is leaving early after 3 years so it isnt really the same situation. I would compare it more with Megan Walker's decision who left early but could have probably done with staying another year in hindsight.

Worth noting, Walker didn't have a degree in hand where as Collier will have hers. Sabally is the one other player I can think of who I've read left early with degree in hand or was set to earn her degree by of the summer.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Come on over Jessika Carter. She knows Vics system and what Harris expects from post players. I can see her leaving the bulldogs for the longhorns.

I bet Vic gets a couple of big transfers this off season. Very interested to see how things shake out at with his former players at MSU.

Reaction Score
I think she might have more success in the W than ppl think. She is definitely the top priority on every defense a6he plays against. In the WNBA she will probably only have to try to defeat one defender, and she has some moves. I think she will be good. I assume she's going to Dallas, so she should get one on one coverage.

Reaction Score
Very disappointing year for Texas had much to do with Charli declaring for the draft. They're not even ranked.

Reaction Score
While I have criticized Collier in the past, she did a great job getting stronger and understanding how to better use her skills. Wonder if ONO can add more power to her game for her senior year.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Very disappointing year for Texas had much to do with Charli declaring for the draft. They're not even ranked.
What were your expectations? Having a new coaching staff and 8 new players on the roster doesn't always translate to a great season. Collier's individual numbers were stellar despite her supporting cast.

AgStatesman

The Boards Most Rational Poster
Reaction Score
What were your expectations? Having a new coaching staff and 8 new players on the roster doesn't always translate to a great season. Collier's individual numbers were stellar despite her supporting cast.
Didn't she completely tap out against some of the teams tougher opponents though? Her quitting on her team a couple times when the going was getting tough leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Didn't she completely tap out against some of the teams tougher opponents though? Her quitting on her team a couple times when the going was getting tough leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
What does that have to do with what I posted?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom