BYU | The Boneyard

BYU

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
BYU is making a nice run of it as an independent in football and a member of the WCC in hoops. I still think that football independence and joining a good or great basketball only conference is the best option for UConn. The AAC will kill our athletic program eventually.

Reaction Score
I'm sure the resulting Buckland Hills PiercingPagoda.com Bowl games against Central Connecticut will be high drama for all involved.

You're drunk. Go to bed.
Until the football program kills our hoops program, then all bets are off

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm sure the resulting Buckland Hills PiercingPagoda.com Bowl games against Central Connecticut will be high drama for all involved.

You're drunk. Go to bed.

A) whatever bowls byu has access to will blow the AAC's bowls away.

B) simply being associated with Memphis and Tulane puts us in their category to the rest of the country.

I hope you were drunk, because if that is your logic when sober, you are in trouble.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Ugh. I opened this thread thinking it was about our upcoming football series. Instead I get another "kill the football program" thread. I feel like we are all dead horses constantly being beaten.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A) whatever bowls byu has access to will blow the AAC's bowls away.

B) simply being associated with Memphis and Tulane puts us in their category to the rest of the country.

I hope you were drunk, because if that is your logic when sober, you are in trouble.

If we had close to BYU's history and following your position might have some validity. As things stand currently football independence would give us two home games a year, one against an FCS school.

Reaction Score
BYU is making a nice run of it as an independent in football and a member of the WCC in hoops. I still think that football independence and joining a good or great basketball only conference is the best option for UConn. The AAC will kill our athletic program eventually.
Not to try and bring sense into your thought process, but did you at any time think that ND is to Catholics is something like BYU is to Mormons? Have kind of a built in national constituancy. What type of run would UConn be making this year as an independent at 0-5; with 40,000 home stadium not always full vs. 60,000 home attendance for BYU, and without 14 million direct potential fans re a common religion (half in USA).

Be great to see what you would expect the 12 game schedule to look like for independent UConn, especially in late October and November.

I thought Freescooter already has Ollie killing the boys basketball team.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Every answer to my post is some version of "we suck so we could never pull it off". Anyone who believes that thinks we are doomed to midmajor-hood anyway.

That AAC is a death sentence to the athletic program.

Reaction Score

You're drunk. Go to bed.
Central Connecticut is ahead of UConn right now in the Nutmeg Poll.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If we are the equivalent of New Mexico State, then you are right, UConn should be in a midmajor league.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Every answer to my post is some version of "we suck so we could never pull it off". Anyone who believes that thinks we are doomed to midmajor-hood anyway.

That AAC is a death sentence to the athletic program.

OK drama queen. Stating that we have little history and fan following when compared to BYU equates to 'we suck'.

I get it now. someone can claim that our best course of action is to drop football and he is all gung ho on the future of the football program. Someone else states that a school that has been competing at this level for basically a decade does not have the history or following of another that within the past thirty years has won a national title, fielded a Heisman trophy winner, placed a player in the NFL who ended up in the Hall of Fame and has had numerous ranked squads is claiming that 'we suck and can never pull this off'.

You need to step out into reality on occasion.

Reaction Score

You're drunk. Go to bed.

we could sell this out if we play it at arute field.

Reaction Score

Can't agree here. BYU football is in a different place than UConn football. As mentioned earlier, they are somewhat similar to Notre Dame in that they have national following. Their following is smaller than ND's, but it's enough fro BYU to play as an independent. UConn football has nowhere near the following of BYU football.

Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz...by any chance, are you involved in self mutilation?

Reaction Score
Can't agree here. BYU football is in a different place than UConn football. As mentioned earlier, they are somewhat similar to Notre Dame in that they have national following. Their following is smaller than ND's, but it's enough fro BYU to play as an independent. UConn football has nowhere near the following of BYU football.

BYU and UCONN are in vastly different, and far-apart, FB program related places. But, BYU, independent or otherwise, will never compare to ND unless/until the big Bowls are removed from the national championship equation. Reason? Every major bowl wants 1) ND, 2) nationally prominent programs with large, wealthy fan bases that likes to party/spend money, and 3) programs with fans that are not culturally or religiously predisposed or inhibited in a way that would preclude participation in relatively expensive, usually minor, bowl season debauchery.By the way, the same premise, on BYU, was offered by print media on a number of occasions in the last three decades. I ain't making this up.

As an aside, maybe UCONN is approaching CR from the wrong direction. New goals, confirmed in writing, to P5 Conference Heads and major bowl committees.
1) We will do whatever to get real good in football.
2) We will provide 30- 50K deep pocketed, raging party animals to any major bowl resident city to which we are invited.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
OK drama queen. Stating that we have little history and fan following when compared to BYU equates to 'we suck'.

I get it now. someone can claim that our best course of action is to drop football and he is all gung ho on the future of the football program. Someone else states that a school that has been competing at this level for basically a decade does not have the history or following of another that within the past thirty years has won a national title, fielded a Heisman trophy winner, placed a player in the NFL who ended up in the Hall of Fame and has had numerous ranked squads is claiming that 'we suck and can never pull this off'.

You need to step out into reality on occasion.

What reality is that? Being in a mid-major southern league is the stupidest possible solution of all of our choices. We would be better off in the MAC, or trying to form a northeastern conference with Buffalo, UMass, Temple and some of the CAA schools. ANYTHING is better than the path we are going down.

Reaction Score
What reality is that? Being in a mid-major southern league is the stupidest possible solution of all of our choices. We would be better off in the MAC, or trying to form a northeastern conference with Buffalo, UMass, Temple and some of the CAA schools. ANYTHING is better than the path we are going down.

Can you imagine how riveting the basketball games would be? It not great now, but at that point we become ccsu.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Can you imagine how riveting the basketball games would be? It not great now, but at that point we become ccsu.

Have you seen the league we are in? For hoops there is Memphis, Temple, cincinatti,.....and a bunch of schools thar are generally going to be outside the top 150. I am advocating taking Temple and Cincinatti with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom