BYU or Air Force rumored to BE | The Boneyard

BYU or Air Force rumored to BE

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have no problem with either program, but where does the Big East stop? 20? 25?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
f yea, we need both on board. dump the bball schools and go all sports.
this NBE is better than leftovers in the acc if we get left out of the b4

uconn/ruty/temple/cincy
usf/ucf/ecu/navy
smu/uh/memphis/lville or smiss
sdsu/bsu//byu

get r done!!!!!

Reaction Score
I hope you guys have learned something from me about those sources that say things. The media is going to poke and prod at the Big EAst from all directions until the next contract is done, and they can get some hot pokers going if they want, those media companies.

Addazio didn't say anything about BYU or Air Force in this article.

This is what matters:
Temple will play an annual game against Rutgers no matter how the divisions are aligned. Being able to play Connecticut and Navy each year also is a high priority for the Owls.

Coaches want to protect and promote regional rivalries and maximize the best value for a lucrative television contract.

"So the next step is to put models together," Carparelli said. "We'll probably put dozens of models together about what home-away rotations might look like under all those scenarios so they can make a further evaluation."

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...ng_on_divisional_alignment.html#ixzz1vj5rJnTh
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Reaction Score
The Big East is a bucket with a hole at the top and a hole at the bottom - just keep adding programs as fast as they seep out.

one of these days, you and I are going to square off. :)

For now, I pass the peace pipe, and I'm trustworthy.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Let me preface what I'm about to say with the fact that the sentence seemed a little more like a feeler than something that has legs, but if we were to add BYU and AirForce, that would be a huge pickup for the league; plain and simple. Both are nationally supported teams with a good football product and tradition. They would strengthen our western partners and allow the eastern teams to truly stay together. Also, they would most certainly add money to the tv contracts, based on their large followings.

This is not a piece of news to "poo-poo" on. If that comment about BYU / has any legs, this is very good news for the Big East, and more importantly, very good news for UConn.

Reaction Score
Let me preface what I'm about to say with the fact that the sentence seemed a little more like a feeler than something that has legs, but if we were to add BYU and AirForce, that would be a huge pickup for the league; plain and simple. Both are nationally supported teams with a good football product and tradition. They would strengthen our western partners and allow the eastern teams to truly stay together. Also, they would most certainly add money to the tv contracts, based on their large followings.

This is not a piece of news to "poo-poo" on. If that comment about BYU / has any legs, this is very good news for the Big East, and more importantly, very good news for UConn.
It's good news if They're added for all sports along with SDSU & Boise. Let's get out of partial membership mode.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Can we add both, and kick Memphis out?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Wonder if those programs took a look at what is being discussed as far as a tv contract goes for the big east and wonder if its not at least worth kicking the tires on this thing. You gotta figures those two programs would add value to a tv contract.

The big east presidents have to see what this next contract is worth before jumping to the ACC. If were headed to a big 4 structure anyway, the ACC isn't going to be one of the four anyways.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Wonder if those programs took a look at what is being discussed as far as a tv contract goes for the big east and wonder if its not at least worth kicking the tires on this thing. You gotta figures those two programs would add value to a tv contract.

The big east presidents have to see what this next contract is worth before jumping to the ACC. If were headed to a big 4 structure anyway, the ACC isn't going to be one of the four anyways.

Here is slightly more on the situation:

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/201...yu-air-force-confernece-expansion-realignment

It does sound more like feelers and politicking, but the article does go on to describe that both teams would be valuable from a tv contract standpoint.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This was the rumor when Navy joined and sounds like a rehash. Why would they sign on at this particular moment, when the everything is in flux and a huge turning point in CFB is about to be made? The BE won't be any better three months from now, but could be a whole lot worse. Are they trying to get in ahead of Wake Forest?:confused:

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
bsu- great fball and building a national following becuase of it. there bball the last couple years is really building quickly also. usf/ucf like. no real great mk grab but the national audience for games is big tv wise. no recruit base really.

sdsu-bball has exploded on the scene lately. fball is not far behind. great to be in cali market and recruiting for the conf.

byu-both bball and fball just need that next bump, both are good. national brand and tv viewing is huge.

-fball is close to being good, a small bump in conf($$/recruiting etc) will help. national brand tv wise

uh-fball has arrived, bball is very close. great mk, texas recruiting alot of history

smu-is trying hard with LB and the ad move in bball and fball. they are not far away in either believe it or not. good market add and texas recruiting...

memphis-great bball, fball project, fedx $, good market, stadium ready. has a brand in bball that will help tv for fball.

thats why we need to go all sports in a league of 16 or 18 in this NBE. our west coast potential is huge and our bball can pass the pac12 the minute we start. fball wise all it takes is a byu vs bsu mid season at 6-1 and 7-0 and there u go. things will take off quick.

uconn/ruty/temple/cincy
usf/ucf/ecu/navy
smu/uh/memphis/lville
sdsu/bsu//byu
smiss/unr on deck

if we are doomed from the big 4, i'm 100% on the NBE going to 16 or 18 all sports.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Here is slightly more on the situation:

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/201...yu-air-force-confernece-expansion-realignment

It does sound more like feelers and politicking, but the article does go on to describe that both teams would be valuable from a tv contract standpoint.
They are one of the few chips left that have some level of actual national interest. What'll be interesting with BYU is media rights. Hadn't they wanted to maintain as much control to broadcast their games on their own BYU network? Essentially, whatever they decide, it will be in the best interests of their mission for the Mormon church.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

But if the ACC blows up before September some schools, probably UConn, are going to be given the same choice that the ACC gave Cuse and Pitt. "We've got 2 slots (or 4 depending on which rumors you buy into) you are our choice, decide within 2 weeks or we'll move to the next team on your list, at least some of which are in your conference."

What do you do? WHAT DO YOU DO?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
But if the ACC blows up before September some schools, probably UConn, are going to be given the same choice that the ACC gave Cuse and Pitt. "We've got 2 slots (or 4 depending on which rumors you buy into) you are our choice, decide within 2 weeks or we'll move to the next team on your list, at least some of which are in your conference."

What do you do? WHAT DO YOU DO?

The Big East hasn't blown up after almost a year's worth of bad news, departures, and law suits. You think the ACC will be done by September? You think that they will have all of their ducks in a row fast enough to pull the trigger on someone right away in response to the departure of Fla St and/or Clemson and/or Ga Tech? The Big12 hasn't even completed pulling the trigger to bring those teams in yet! The Big East right now is begging its fanbase, "Help me help you!"

"You are hanging on by a very thin thread....HELP ME HEL...ha, ha...THAT'S MY MAN!"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't know, the ACC has know that they were vulnerable for a while. I would surprise me it they have a contingency plan in place. I don't underestismate Sworford's ablility and willingness to gut this conference.

(By the way nice post)

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I don't know, the ACC has know that they were vulnerable for a while. I would surprise me it they have a contingency plan in place. I don't underestismate Sworford's ablility and willingness to gut this conference.

(By the way nice post)

Thanks. I think that even if the ACC went into "Defcon 5" after some teams departed, I'm not sure that they would come up with a consensus about whom to invite. They can continue to hold their breath about ND. They would have the "Why is BC crying because we mentioned the name UConn?" thing, and the "Does the nation still think Rutgers stinks because we've always told them so, or do they respect them now?" Just getting everyone on the same page with which team to invite would probably take at least a month or two in and of itself. I have a feeling that before the ACC blows up, we will know at least some if not all about the new playoff picture, the new tv contract, and our own pursuits of BYU and . Things change so fast, that we might as well focus on how to make this conference as good as we can, and then worry about everything else when it happens (since we can't control it...)

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Thanks. I think that even if the ACC went into "Defcon 5" after some teams departed, I'm not sure that they would come up with a consensus about whom to invite. They can continue to hold their breath about ND. They would have the "Why is BC crying because we mentioned the name UConn?" thing, and the "Does the nation still think Rutgers stinks because we've always told them so, or do they respect them now?" Just getting everyone on the same page with which team to invite would probably take at least a month or two in and of itself. I have a feeling that before the ACC blows up, we will know at least some if not all about the new playoff picture, the new tv contract, and our own pursuits of BYU and . Things change so fast, that we might as well focus on how to make this conference as good as we can, and then worry about everything else when it happens (since we can't control it...)

I'm curious if Rutgers would even go to the ACC. It seems like an awfully high number of sites seem to think they are a big target for the B1G. I wonder if their AD would have the same thinking as HuskyFanDan in that they should hold out for the B1G instead of join with another conference falling apart in the ACC (assuming those teams all leave). It seems to be a bigger question for Rutgers, if you believe all the rumors, than it would be for UConn.

Reaction Score
I have a few issues with BYU, and I'm not sure I love them in the league. But I get that they will be a solid team. And I guess I don't get thrilled about Air Force fo rthe smae reasons Navy (or Army) doesn't thrill me. I have my doubts whether the Sevrice academies can compete at the level that the Big East is aiming for on a consistent basis. Navy has been pretty good of late, but they tend to play a schedule that is really designed to allow them to compete...Typically there are Notre Dame and maybe a couple of other mid-level BCS schools (last year South Carolina, Maryland ), a 1AA and the rest Sunbelt( Western Ky, Troy) CUSA (SoMiss, East Carolina, SMU) 2 other military schools (Army Air Force) and another Mountain West or WAC, last year San Jose State. Basically it is 3 BCS, 1 FCS, and the rest non-BCS, half of which are Sunbelt level. I get the marketing side, Air Force and Navy have national followings sort of, but I'm not sure how well that will play if they end up 4-8, 5-7 for a few years in a row. Frankly, I'm not sure that benefits the academies either, but that's another issue. I think those schools have a pretty low ceiling relative to many others and I am concerned that they will either hold the others back or get left behind themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom