BYU Game on Friday? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BYU Game on Friday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/022414aaa.html

>>STORRS, Conn. (February 24, 2014) The University of Connecticut football team will kick off its 2014 season before an ESPN national television audience on Friday, August 29 against BYU at Rentschler Field. Kickoff time will be 8:00 p.m.

The announcement reflects a date change for the game as it was originally scheduled to be played on Thursday, August 28.

“It is a great honor to be selected by ESPN to be the Friday night national game to begin the 2014 college football season,” said UConn head coach Bob Diaco. “The matchup between two nationally-recognized teams with UConn vs. BYU will provide an electric game day atmosphere at Rentschler Field. The excitement created with our new UConn team and fan experience will prove to make August 29th an unforgettable night at The Rent!”<<
At least he called UConn's home stadium by its proper nickname, unlike Steve Rushin in 2004 (For those who don't know, Mr. Rushin is a former columnist for Sports Illustrated and is currently married to former Greatest Women's Basketball Player in the World and UConn alum, Rebecca Lobo).

In 2003 the Huskies moved into brand-new, 40,000-seat, $91 million Rentschler Field, also known as the Wrench and, to a small group of contrarians, the 'Schler.

If I hear anyone refer to the place in question as the "Schler, he cannot hold those around that person responsible for the beating that person subsequently receives.

Edit: on Second thought I may begin championing the term...time will tell.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Seemed to me that we played on Thursday because the bigger games were on Friday. Now we are one of the bigger games this year. Great place for a win.

Reaction Score
At least he called UConn's home stadium by its proper nickname, unlike Steve Rushin in 2004 (For those who don't know, Mr. Rushin is a former columnist for Sports Illustrated and is currently married to former Greatest Women's Basketball Player in the World and UConn alum, Rebecca Lobo).

In 2003 the Huskies moved into brand-new, 40,000-seat, $91 million Rentschler Field, also known as the Wrench and, to a small group of contrarians, the 'Schler.

If I hear anyone refer to the place in question as the "Schler, he cannot hold those around that person responsible for the beating that person subsequently receives.

Edit: on Second thought I may begin championing the term...time will tell.

Back with SI.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Back with SI.
That's what you took out of it? Not "The Wrench" or "The 'Schler"?

What is this world coming to? ;)

Husky25

Reaction Score
No. I was just commenting that Rushin is back at SI and no longer "former SI."
Just giving you a hard time...all good.

Reaction Score
Crap. I am on a flight to Vegas at that time. I hope they have live TV on the jet.

On a non-personal note...college fans will be starved to watch a game and I think this is a great opportunity to be front and center for a night. Game would have been lost on Thursday night...on Friday it will be all about this game.

I like it!

Great point on being the first Friday night game of the season on ESPN.

Reaction Score
Switching from Thur. to Fri. plus ESPN will make the following much more likely:
1. Sell out
2. Wild, alcohol fueled crowd.
3. Lots of eyes nationally on our program as many college football fans will be hungry for ANY action.
4. Better chance for a must win (positive national perception that the program badly needs) that could really put us on the right path for the season.
5. Crowd stays in their seats longer with no work the next day.
The "my kids have soccer" people have to wake up early to bring the kids to soccer though.

Reaction Score
I'm pumped. Great start to Labor Day weekend. That Friday at work is always a little gruesome. Now it'll just be a terrible Saturday morning hangover like every other Saturday!

Reaction Score
The "my kids have soccer" people have to wake up early to bring the kids to soccer though.

As a parent I am confident it is more likely those people are leaving because it is more important to get the kids to bed than the parents.

I have more respect for parents who bring their kids to a game, get them used to going to the games and interested in UConn football at a young age but leave a little early from a night game, than a student section that is half empty by the 4th quarter for most games.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with moving this game to Friday night. As a rule I don't much care for Friday night games, or Sunday night games either, but given the time of year it makes great sense to do this. I hope the Bobster opens his run with a big win.

Reaction Score
Thinking about making this or Army my fly up game now. Decisions decisions.

Reaction Score
I'm impressed how many people have Labor Day plans already. I have no idea what I'm doing any further than Friday.

Problem solved - at least for Friday night. Now I do have plans for the start of the Labor Day weekend - at least to kick it off. Great news, glad to see the change to Friday from Thursday.

Yeah I can totally see that point. I can see where that would be far more of a concern than having the kids have to wake up early the next day for that "pesky" school nonsense. Besides, at least with a Thursday night game, its only on the kids to have to get themselves up and ride the bus, thereby not having to inconvenience or "wake up" the parents. Sarcasm intended. I'm all for the Friday night game. Been advocating for it some time now. I was good with the Saturdays but folks didn't like it (ie, too hot, last summer weekend, travel plans, whatever). Just never understood how other programs could pull it off. One thing for certain . . . Thursday night games sucked.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
Would this have happened if PP was the coach?
Probably not. I don't think they really cared about the fans.

For instance, I got the feeling at last years spring game that the coaching staff resented having to practice at Rentschler Field. (Exhibit #1: Practicing Goal Line plays for the first 25 minutes of a timed scrimmage.) Former "Coach" Pasqualoni probably wanted as few people there as possible.

This year, it seems that Coach Diaco wants to put up the Michigan Bleachers and Rentschler bursting at the seams...for a glorified scrimmage.

Reaction Score
Thinking about making this or Army my fly up game now. Decisions decisions.
If you want to see a good football game come to BYU. If you want to see a UConn victory, Army is your choice.

Reaction Score
No this is really exciting I mad I'm gonna miss it, just looks like i have the watch ESPN app on during my cousins wedding, she'll understand right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom