BYU Game on Friday? | The Boneyard

BYU Game on Friday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/022414aaa.html

>>STORRS, Conn. (February 24, 2014) The University of Connecticut football team will kick off its 2014 season before an ESPN national television audience on Friday, August 29 against BYU at Rentschler Field. Kickoff time will be 8:00 p.m.

The announcement reflects a date change for the game as it was originally scheduled to be played on Thursday, August 28.

“It is a great honor to be selected by ESPN to be the Friday night national game to begin the 2014 college football season,” said UConn head coach Bob Diaco. “The matchup between two nationally-recognized teams with UConn vs. BYU will provide an electric game day atmosphere at Rentschler Field. The excitement created with our new UConn team and fan experience will prove to make August 29th an unforgettable night at The Rent!”<<

Reaction Score

>>STORRS, Conn. (February 24, 2014) The University of Connecticut football team will kick off its 2014 season before an ESPN national television audience on Friday, August 29 against BYU at Rentschler Field. Kickoff time will be 8:00 p.m.

The announcement reflects a date change for the game as it was originally scheduled to be played on Thursday, August 28.

“It is a great honor to be selected by ESPN to be the Friday night national game to begin the 2014 college football season,” said UConn head coach Bob Diaco. “The matchup between two nationally-recognized teams with UConn vs. BYU will provide an electric game day atmosphere at Rentschler Field. The excitement created with our new UConn team and fan experience will prove to make August 29th an unforgettable night at The Rent!”<<

In honor of the late great writer, actor and director Harold Ramis, Diaco is just a "Lean, mean, fighting machine". The man is always on.

Reaction Score
WTF, I booked my Labor Day get away to leave Friday afternoon specifically working around going to this game Thursday night.

Reaction Score
WTF, I booked my Labor Day get away to leave Friday afternoon specifically working around going to this game Thursday night.
Feel for you man, but this works better for most. Still hope you can still work something out. Sucks for sure.

Reaction Score
In honor of the late great writer, actor and director Harold Ramis, Diaco is just a "Lean, mean, fighting machine". The man is always on.

In my experience, quotes are written by marketing folks and aren't actual quotes.

Reaction Score
“The matchup between two nationally-recognized teams with UConn vs. BYU will provide an electric game day atmosphere. . ."

It's great to see someone charge forward, unabashed, and position UConn football for the benefit of UConn. For the past three years adversaries, outliers, and internal inaction have held too much sway over defining UConn. Diaco appears to have the guts, tenacity, and certitude to advance UConn football. Even ESPN sees the entertainment value. His energy and confidence is sure to impact both players and fans. I don't see him backing off anytime soon.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Awesome- probably our best home game of the year, should be a ton of fun.

Reaction Score
Bout time, makes going to work on Friday alot easier. National game to start the season- well done!

Reaction Score
Guess that I'll just rearrange my schedule. Normally Thursday is my day off from work. If I take Friday off instead to prepare the tailgate, it just sets up for a 4 day holiday weekend. NICE!

Reaction Score
Looking forward to a good 4 day weekend, hell I might still take the 28th off too!

Reaction Score

Usually for a night game, the Rent parking opens up at 3:20???......Can somebody make the change to open at 1:00 or noon.??? Would like have our caravan in customary Blue parking spot earlier. It's a long Holiday weekend and many in our group will go bit earlier. Might also be an opportunity for fans to get through with tailgating & in the stadium on time (probably not) if they opened up several hours earlier...just a thought. also less traffic in if the gates opened several hours earlier...who knows?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Crap. I am on a flight to Vegas at that time. I hope they have live TV on the jet.

On a non-personal note...college fans will be starved to watch a game and I think this is a great opportunity to be front and center for a night. Game would have been lost on Thursday night...on Friday it will be all about this game.

I like it!

Reaction Score
I believe 3 marketing people were relieved of their duties when Diaco was hired. :cool: While someone else could have written it, my money is on Diaco.

Agreed ... now if we could just get Susan to fire her speech writer and get her to start using HCBD's ...

Reaction Score
Love it for UCONN's sake. I was planning to go down to Houston for the LSU / Wisconsin game on the 30th. This makes it harder, but I think it will amp up the atmosphere at the Rent so all in all a big win.

Reaction Score
I think overall this is a big positive for the program especially if we can get a W at home. Feel bad for those with commitments but I'd be happy to discuss the disposition of 4 tickets for those who can't attend. :cool:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Works a lot better for me coming from New York city. Only have to take off one day from work now.

Reaction Score
Switching from Thur. to Fri. plus ESPN will make the following much more likely:
1. Sell out
2. Wild, alcohol fueled crowd.
3. Lots of eyes nationally on our program as many college football fans will be hungry for ANY action.
4. Better chance for a must win (positive national perception that the program badly needs) that could really put us on the right path for the season.
5. Crowd stays in their seats longer with no work the next day.

Reaction Score
Terrific news. Finally, the home opener on the Friday night of Labor Day weekend. What a great way to kick off the weekend. Should have been doing this all along. UConn vs a big time opponent. ESPN televising. We're doing like the big boys.

Also, no need to worry about "being hung over and tired" at work the next day. Likewise, younger kids starting a new school year that week can either 1.) be allowed to go to the game, 2.) not have to worry about being half asleep in class the next day and 3.) being able to stay up to watch the whole game if they are not on site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom