bye bye Montrell Dobbs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

bye bye Montrell Dobbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Unfair comparing McCombs to Stephen Davis ( 220 lbs ) and Rudi Johnson ( 200 plus lbs )... Find a little back to compare him to...

Why? Just because you are small doesn't mean you have to be a scat back. It is a completely valid comparison. Two very good backs that didn't have breakaway speed yet were still very effective.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure you didn't mean to compare Lyle McCombs to Emmit Smith so I'll leave that part alone. I agree that he had a pretty incredible season and exceeded expectations. In terms of our running game next year am I more optimistic as compared to this year? Not really. Our OL losses are not insignificant and they were the ones that really made the holes for McCombs to run through. Keep in mind that most if not all of Lyle's big runs were when we went through the line untouched. I'm not as certain those same holes will be there next year and when Lyle gets hit he pretty much always goes down and he can't run away from people (witness all those lateral sweeps that went for virtually no yardage). I think he improved a lot at pass protection and catching the ball and those are great improvements to make but I'd still prefer that we were able to mix in someone with either more speed or more power. I have no idea what sort of RB Dobbs was but losing that is not insignificant. We're paper thin at the RB position next year particularly if Shoemate doesn't get the medical redshirt.

I think what makes McCombs stats even more impressive was that no one respected the run. Everyone was up in the box. They dared us to throw, we did, with horrific results. The passing game needs to improve. Badly.

Reaction Score
Why? Just because you are small doesn't mean you have to be a scat back. It is a completely valid comparison. Two very good backs that didn't have breakaway speed yet were still very effective.
I understand what you mean but those guys could break an arm tackle... McCombs is a warrior, no question in my mind about that after his performance this season. Only gripe ( like everyone else ) is his size hinders his game at this level a bit...He's gotta get bigger and stronger this offseason to warrant as many opportunities next season that he had this past one...

Reaction Score
Lyle McCombs is unbelievably tough and deserves all the praise in the world for his efforts. He had a GREAT Freshman year. Don't knock him for lacking in the passing game, we are talking about a tiny Fr. running back. He will get better and bigger. What more could you ask for?

Suggesting Nickie Williams to RB is just silly. UConn will be trying to replace its two top WRs and we want to move the top returning Wr to RB?? That makes zero sense. Yes I know we have Michael Smith coming back, but there are no guarantees as to how that will play out. There have been posters on here shouting for NW to get more time at WR. I believe they were proven correct. He will lock down a Wr position and will continue to be a huge bonus in the return game. That is exactly what the team needs from him.

Reaction Score
The RB position at UConn is starting to resemble the QB & WR positions. Better all hope that McCombs (who was terrific this year) stays healthy. After him ? ? ? Once again, what is it about UConn's inability to recruit big time playmakers.

Reaction Score
Kid had a1000+ yrds rushing when EVERYONE in the building knew he was getting the ball and the D' had 8+ in the box, he was a BE leader, and he is still growing. We're just fine at the #1 RB position. I do agree we need to strengthen the depth behind him, but he proved himself as a featured TB this season.

Reaction Score
The RB position at UConn is starting to resemble the QB & WR positions. Better all hope that McCombs (who was terrific this year) stays healthy. After him ? ? ? Once again, what is it about UConn's inability to recruit big time playmakers.

Just silly. We had 4, 4, junior TBs in the program last year. Three left early for wildly varying reasons and the fourth got injured (as did the other returning TB who had gotten on the field). More depth in on the roster, but it wasn't ready yet because it wasn't supposed to be needed. Between Lee and Foxx, -- it was just all true freshman who were supposed to have a year where they weren't needed.

Reaction Score
Just silly. We had 4, 4, junior TBs in the program last year. Three left early for wildly varying reasons and the fourth got injured (as did the other returning TB who had gotten on the field). More depth in on the roster, but it wasn't ready yet because it wasn't supposed to be needed. Between Lee and Foxx, -- it was just all true freshman who were supposed to have a year where they weren't needed.

Like I said, UConn needs to recruit more playmakers. RB is very thin right now after McCombs. Lee & Fox???? Time will tell. But nice of the coaching staff to burn Fox's RS for a handful of plays.

Reaction Score
TDH, have you forgotten Shoemate? I think he would shared carries with McCombs if not injured.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure you didn't mean to compare Lyle McCombs to Emmit Smith so I'll leave that part alone. I agree that he had a pretty incredible season and exceeded expectations. In terms of our running game next year am I more optimistic as compared to this year? Not really. Our OL losses are not insignificant and they were the ones that really made the holes for McCombs to run through. Keep in mind that most if not all of Lyle's big runs were when we went through the line untouched. I'm not as certain those same holes will be there next year and when Lyle gets hit he pretty much always goes down and he can't run away from people (witness all those lateral sweeps that went for virtually no yardage). I think he improved a lot at pass protection and catching the ball and those are great improvements to make but I'd still prefer that we were able to mix in someone with either more speed or more power. I have no idea what sort of RB Dobbs was but losing that is not insignificant. We're paper thin at the RB position next year particularly if Shoemate doesn't get the medical redshirt.

Ask him who his favorite running back is, I'll guess Marshall Faulk, but Emmitt in college is a nice pick. Do we have the next Marshall, Marshall, Marshall!!??

Reaction Score
As unbelievable as it may sound, I kind of agree that we still need to improve at the TB position (not sure if Williams is the answer though). McCombs showed a lot of heart and durability this year, no question about it. That being said, he has neither great speed nor the ability to break tackles / make people miss. That's why I was hoping JJL would get a more extended look than he did and was also disappointed when Shoemate went down again.
Man, you guys are a tough crowd. As BL said, the kid led the league in rushing. Adn he improved in lots of facets as the season went on. He is a much better pass blocker than he was. He reads holes better and he even broke smoe more tackles as the season wore on.
At 5-7, 170 he isn't ever going to be Ron Dane and run over people, but if he improves as much in the off season as he did during this season I think he'll be a very good back for us next year. For what its worth, I understand that UCONN is still in th emarket for a running back and likely will sign one. I am guessing though that whoever it is, he won't see action as a true freshman.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
His pass blocking improved as the year went on. He did a better job than JJL did back there. Just go watch the film. He needs to work on his hands but that could be said of the entire team. Drops were a issue in a few games and might have cost UConn a bowl bid.

Stats are very deceiving in this case. He can't pass block, he can't break any tackles, he can't take a long run to the house without running out of gas and he is not a good receiver. McCombs is great at cutting back, not fumbling and not getting hurt in spite of so many carries, but he is a two hand touch running back because when he is touched the play is over.

McCombs has a bright future but he needs to get alot stronger if we are going to be successful.

I think the biggest feather in DeLeone's cap this year is devising schemes that turned an average (yes average) Big East running back into the leagues yardage leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom