BY25 Poll #5: Results are in | The Boneyard

BY25 Poll #5: Results are in

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Number of 1st-place votes shown in parentheses:

1611017835752.png

Also receiving votes (on at least two ballots): Tennessee 38, West Virginia 34, Missouri State 29, Iowa 21, Washington State 17, Iowa State 17, Michigan State 13, Nebraska 11, Villanova 6, Rice 5, FGCU 3.

The following teams appeared on only one ballot: Alabama, Cal Baptist, High Point.

Thank you to all who voted. Sixteen ballots were submitted.

The next poll will be Monday, February 6, 2021

Reaction Score
Maryland went 5-0 and jumped #12 to #6.
Michigan 14-9.
Georgia & SoDakSt enter
Baylor fell 6 to 11, Ore 7 to 12, Ark 13-18, Miss St 15-21, Tex 16-25
Iowa & MichSt fell out

Plebe

Reaction Score
Depaul at #15 ?

giphy.gif
Let's see here. They have a win over a team ranked ahead of them, and they haven't lost to anyone below them.

The same cannot be said of most of the teams in the poll. If anything, this would suggest they are underranked.

Care to provide any empirical evidence for your stance?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Implied bracket:

A: Louisville, TAMU, Arizona, DePaul
B: UConn, UCLA, Michigan, Gonzaga
C: NC St, Maryland, Oregon, Kentucky
D: SoCar, Stanford, Baylor, USF

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Let's see here. They have a win over a team ranked ahead of them, and they haven't lost to anyone below them.

The same cannot be said of most of the teams in the poll. If anything, this would suggest they are underranked.

giphy.gif

Reaction Score

Agree DePaul under ranked. I’ve watched many big 10 games and believe if they were in Big 10 they would be ranked between 6-10.

Plebe

Reaction Score
There were many things I've found interesting about this latest poll. Just a few thoughts off the top of my head:
  • Many voters seemed extremely forgiving (or unaware?) of Texas's latest struggles, losing horribly to West Virginia and then inexplicably losing to a bad Texas Tech team.

• Similarly, I found myself wondering at times if people even noticed that Texas A&M lost to the pitiful LSU, a team that nearly went 0-fer in its nonconference.

• Sometimes, what I call the "paired reaction" to an upset (i.e., the impact on a voter's placement of the winner and loser of a surprising result) seems incongruous. For example, most of the voters kept Baylor ranked in the 9-12 range (though I dropped them well below that, and one other voter dropped them out entirely). However, only a few voters included Iowa State in their poll, despite the Cyclones' winning 7 of their last 8 games, including a huge road win over Baylor. Not sure how Baylor continues to be regarded as a borderline top 10 team at the same time that Iowa State can be excluded from top 25.

Reaction Score
There were many things I've found interesting about this latest poll. Just a few thoughts off the top of my head:
  • Similarly, I found myself wondering at times if people even noticed that Texas A&M lost to the pitiful LSU, a team that nearly went 0-fer in its nonconference.
In the 2 week stretch where TAMU lost to LSU, it also beat 3 top 15 teams.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So High Point University is tied for #37 in the BY Poll.

Took a whole lotta tryin'
Just to get up that hill.
Now we're up in the big leagues
Gettin' our turn at bat.

Plebe

Reaction Score
So High Point University is tied for #37 in the BY Poll.

Took a whole lotta tryin'
Just to get up that hill.
Now we're up in the big leagues
Gettin' our turn at bat.

Pretty impressive for a team with losses to UNC Asheville, Wofford and Liberty, not to mention a proper drubbing at the hands of the (also unranked) University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Tar Heels.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Pretty impressive for a team with losses to UNC Asheville, Wofford and Liberty, not to mention a proper drubbing at the hands of the (also unranked) University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Tar Heels

In defense of the Panthers.... Liberty is a solid team (currently 1st place. in the ASUN).. no shame losing to them. Wofford was a rivalry game.. a throw out the record books game that took place early in the season. The UNC-A loss was a bad loss.. but they turned around and beat them the next day... and haven't lost since ( 9 game winning streak)

Now about that game vs the Tarheels. HPU pounced on them early.. led 20-4.. 32-14 after the first quarter.. and 43-38 at half. The hated tarheels didn't take a lead until about 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. The tarheels held a 4 pt lead with less than 8 minutes to go in the game.. before the Panthers finally ran out of steam. So it wasn't exactly a drubbing... just a vastly more talented team .... a bigger, stronger, deeper team wearing down a plucky bunch of Panthers in the end.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom