By the time the tournament comes, Megan Walker will be a beast! | The Boneyard

By the time the tournament comes, Megan Walker will be a beast!

Reaction Score
I know that at times Megan Walker has been less than impressive. I also know that occasionally she does something outstanding (eg. Notre Dame & Depaul games)

And you can take that to the bank.
Every game she gets better & better and theres is no reason why that trend won't continue.

Its gonna be an EXCITING year!

Reaction Score
I know that at times Megan Walker has been less than impressive. I also know that occasionally she does something outstanding (eg. Notre Dame & Depaul games)

Every game she gets better & better and theres is no reason why that trend won't continue.

Spot on. Welcome Megan. A breath of fresh air. And a cool number.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I think the "Beast " part of her game won't arrive until next year, when like Crystal, she makes a monumental sophomore leap, and moves into a starting role. However, I do think that by the end of the year, Megan will have played enough minutes to be comfortable and understand the system enough to continue to be the 7th man as she has been so far.

She's already seen some of the best opponents UConn can play in the tournament, and held her own. Her confidence is nowhere near where it will be at tournament time. And please, everyone remember that Megan does not know what she's doing yet, not like she will this time next year.

Geno should really be able to count on her come March. I don't see her role as 7th man changing unless Camara breaks out and has a monster January and February, and jumps ahead of her late in the season. Megan continues to prove to everyone that she is indeed special. And boy are we all glad she chose us!!! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I do, too. Tells me she is going to have a more complete game than many UConn freshmen. Others have to grow into a full performance. Looks like she's got a good start.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Megan is already coming in as a sub on a regular basis. She is learning her role, this year, and it will expand. The more reps she gets, the more comfortable she will get and the more of her talent will show.

By the time the tournaments come around, Megan is going reek havoc on our opponents!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Megan is already coming in as a sub on a regular basis. She is learning her role, this year, and it will expand. The more reps she gets, the more comfortable she will get and the more of her talent will show.

By the time the tournaments come around, Megan is going reek havoc on our opponents!

The more she plays, the more she'll play. :cool:

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="FlyRyGuy, post: 2470825, member: 3500"]I know that at times Megan Walker has been less than impressive. I also know that occasionally she does something outstanding (eg. Notre Dame & Depaul games)

Its gonna be an EXCITING year![/QUOTE]\

Megan Walker HAS been more than IMPRESSIVE~~ what I*(&(&& believes that BS?? If you expected Maya or Stewie or DT --Maybe. But compared to the other Frosh--she's amazing. Remember she plays for GENO not another Div team--if Geno shows a bit of pleasure--she has to more than great.\
Right now she is something special.

I come on a bit strong in defense of Megan--however, I agree with you in April she will be a superb defensive and scoring player--beast???

Reaction Score
I don't think there's another program in the country where freshmen make the leaps that Uconn freshmen do. In the past few years Stewie, Moriah, Phessa, and Lou come to mind. Megan has the same qualities that the aforementioned had. The skies the limit.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I call this damning with faint praise. She did much more than hold her own. She was one of the best players on the court during the 4th Q of the ND game.

She still has a lot to learn, and is nowhere close to where she'll be this time next year. Remember what Gabby said at the beginning of her sophomore year: (I'm paraphrasing) "Now I know what I'm doing, I'm ready to play, last year, I wasn't ready". Geno says it every year to anyone who will listen: It takes the average freshman a full year to understand our system, and be able to play in and be successful in it.

This year, she's just trying to fit in and help the team where and when she can. UConn has a 29 game schedule this year. They're not even a third of they way in yet, having played only 8 games. I think eight games is a little too soon to anoint her. How about we let her finish the season, then look back and view her accomplishments, and go from there.

When she can be consistent in her play, then I'll anoint her, but not now. Remember Geno said she did not play well in the next two games following the UCLA game, and pulled her early. Great players are consistent. She's not there yet. I also didn't want to heap too much praise and adulation on her. I don't want her to lose her sense of smell. :rolleyes:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

Hope she wreaks more than she reeks!

Reaction Score
Screenshot (1).png

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm a big MW fan. I'm also a big fan of Coombs. I really thought she was going to be a reliable sub for Geno, but so far, she's been buried on the end of the bench with Gordon. Not a good sign for Coombs, and I hope the light bulb comes on for her soon (nice and bright!). But this thread was about MW.

I'm not sure how much of a beast she will be come March/April. Freshmen usually hit the "freshman wall" in Jan-Feb. Meg is very solid and was confident and smooth in the UCLA game (3-point shooting and all around play/defense). I think MW will end up being much better than what we've seen so far, and what we've seen, when she's on point, has been VERY good. I think she has a lot of basketball gifts. And she has certainly bought into the intensity required to play defense at UCONN.

My point is that I'm not sure how "complete" she will be come March/April. Beast? I think she will be a beast next year. I'd love to see her live up to those expectations this year, but I will be satisfied if she continues to work hard and show improvement every week...

Reaction Score
No one is a more avid member of the Meg Fan Club, and someday she will indeed be a monster, but I don't think Geno gives her that opportunity to develop this year. Of course, she will get time and benefit from being first wing in and therefore getting a lot of playing time with the first team. But far more important for the future of the team next year and beyond is to give Batouly and AEH enough playing. Meg will be Meg regardless.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
At this point in her career, Walker is not a special player. She has special potential. Right now she is a very good sub. IMO a special player performs well consistently. Walker has not had the experience to develop into a special player yet. In time she , I believe, will become a very special player. Byer's, give her time to develop before you anoint her with so much praise. If she fails to live up to some of those expectations, some of you calling her special will be some of the first to complain about her being a disappointment. But then, maybe your definition of special is different from mine. I believe she will improve just as much in her sophomore year as Dangerfield has this season. Now, if she played for Texas, I believe she would have out played every freshman who played in that game against Tennessee and she would be special now, but she'd be lacking in the fundamentals she is learning at UCONN. Her level of play as a senior I believe will be higher than any of the freshmen who played in the UT vs UT game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Disagree, she's special now. Because she has so many good teammates and she plays team ball I can see how some might underrate her.
Agree completely. She is special right now as @donalddoowop said she would have been the best player in that Texas vs. TN game. That she is willing to sit and play behind more talented teammates at UCONN just makes her EXTRA special.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but I continue to love the fact that Megan REBOUNDS.:)

She appears to have the same "gene" in her game that Collier has, in that rebounding is a part of her overall game. Rebounding is an instinctive in her. Something she does not think about. I've always liked that in Collier. She has always been willing to go in the paint (on either end of the court) to fight and compete for rebounds.
Not every player has this trait or gene. You're not alone, All of us love the fact that she is a rebounder. No doubt one of the many reasons why she was rated as high as she was coming out of HS. You can also tell Megan is a leader.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom