By the letter of the law, the NCAA is right on Boatright.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

By the letter of the law, the NCAA is right on Boatright....

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thank you for taking advantage of this very Teachable Moment!

Peace,

John Fryer

For what it's worth. During and after L school I worked in KC. The firm that represented the NCAA at that time 92-95 (before it moved to Indy from Overland Park) was upstairs in our building. Two of my classmates worked for them and represented the NCAA regularly.

My impression was that the NCAA was more than a little arrogant, and a little full of itself. It certainly did have the capacity to be vindictive, and go after people or institutions of its choosing. Selective prosecution run wild. I notice that Elsa Cole came on board in 1997, and would like to think that she has changed some of those practices. I believe strongly that situations like those cited involving Utah should result in no penalty or sanction. Prosecutorial discretion, when implemented correctly, can be a very good thing. Coaches and players are human, and the minute details of compliance with these rules can be dehumanizing. It should never come to that.

So I'll leave it at this. Involvement with and accepting tickets from Reggie Rose creates suspicion. But the depths to which the NCAA is now investigating Ms. Boatright doesn't pass the smell test either. It serves no purpose related to the competitive landscape of the game, and thus is only a vindictive, pointless exercise, whether intended that way or not. The same is true of the bagel, dinner and pizza in the Utah situation. Electing to go forward upon learning the details of these scenarios is an indication of poor judgment and a lack of common sense at the very least.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth. During and after L school I worked in KC. The firm that represented the NCAA at that time 92-95 (before it moved to Indy from Overland Park) was upstairs in our building. Two of my classmates worked for them and represented the NCAA regularly.

My impression was that the NCAA was more than a little arrogant, and a little full of itself. It certainly did have the capacity to be vindictive, and go after people or institutions of its choosing. Selective prosecution run wild. I notice that Elsa Cole came on board in 1997, and would like to think that she has changed some of those practices. I believe strongly that situations like those cited involving Utah should result in no penalty or sanction. Prosecutorial discretion, when implemented correctly, can be a very good thing. Coaches and players are human, and the minute details of compliance with these rules can be dehumanizing. It should never come to that.

So I'll leave it at this. Involvement with and accepting tickets from Reggie Rose creates suspicion. But the depths to which the NCAA is now investigating Ms. Boatright doesn't pass the smell test either. It serves no purpose related to the competitive landscape of the game, and thus is only a vindictive, pointless exercise, whether intended that way or not. The same is true of the bagel, dinner and pizza in the Utah situation. Electing to go forward upon learning the details of these scenarios is an indication of poor judgment and a lack of common sense at the very least.
I tend to agree with this sentiment. My only disagreement is that we really don't know any of the details of the Boatright situation. As to for example the events in Utah, though, I agree that it was a case where discretion was vcalled for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog
Top Bottom