OT: - Buying a Combi-Boiler | The Boneyard

OT: Buying a Combi-Boiler

Reaction Score
There seems to be a lot of manufacturers to choose from: A.O. Smith, Rinnai, Navien, etc. I've had a Navien for about 10 years but considering a different choice this time around.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
There seems to be a lot of manufacturers to choose from: A.O. Smith, Rinnai, Navien, etc. I've had a Navien for about 10 years but considering a different choice this time around.
I just leave me some boiled combi!

Make sure you get the imported.

Reaction Score
We had a Navien installed earlier this year and it has been awesome. Replaced our old furnace, water heater and oil tank. I don't know how it compares to the others but our contractor said it was one of the best.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I just leave me some boiled combi!

Make sure you get the imported.
Boiled? Bah, you need to smoke it using pimento sticks.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
The supply chain for many items has been interrupted, you may want to check on what's currently available and lead times on back-ordered items depending on your time frame. I work in construction and product availability is hit & miss right now, with heating season upon us inventory will dwindle fast.

Reaction Score
Just installed a Utica Propane Boiler. Thing is terrific. Had an old oil New Yorker, this is much cleaner and the setup is nice.

Reaction Score
As someone who has been selling these the last 15 years, the only high efficiency combi boiler that will last over 10 years is a Bosch Green Star. Navient uses plastic parts inside their boilers. It's an on demand water heater converted to heat your home. Repairs on cheap combi boilers run over $1000 each. If you want something that will last 20-30 years then you're honestly better off getting a cast iron boiler 80%. For efficiency and better hot water get a stainless steel indirect water heater. They're expensive but most have lifetime warranties. You don't get the .9% financing but at least you wont need to buy 4 boilers over the next 30 years.

The only other decent 95% efficient boiler is Lochinvar. It's less expensive than a Bosch. Stay away from Navien, IBC, Rinnai and AO Smith. They will all break in under 10 years. You'll get free parts but pay $1000 to put it in.

Reaction Score
Just installed a Utica Propane Boiler. Thing is terrific. Had an old oil New Yorker, this is much cleaner and the setup is nice.
The Utica is better than the others mentioned but it does have a tendency to leak. Just open up the cover every once in a while and make sure it's ok. I've sold a few dozen Utica 95%ers and I would expect it to make it to 15 years with proper maintenance and installation.

Reaction Score
The Utica is better than the others mentioned but it does have a tendency to leak. Just open up the cover every once in a while and make sure it's ok. I've sold a few dozen Utica 95%ers and I would expect it to make it to 15 years with proper maintenance and installation.

Will do with that. Got an indirect water heater installed also -- hot water is amazing, though it wasn't cheap.

Reaction Score
As someone who has been selling these the last 15 years, the only high efficiency combi boiler that will last over 10 years is a Bosch Green Star. Navient uses plastic parts inside their boilers. It's an on demand water heater converted to heat your home. Repairs on cheap combi boilers run over $1000 each. If you want something that will last 20-30 years then you're honestly better off getting a cast iron boiler 80%. For efficiency and better hot water get a stainless steel indirect water heater. They're expensive but most have lifetime warranties. You don't get the .9% financing but at least you wont need to buy 4 boilers over the next 30 years.

The only other decent 95% efficient boiler is Lochinvar. It's less expensive than a Bosch. Stay away from Navien, IBC, Rinnai and AO Smith. They will all break in under 10 years. You'll get free parts but pay $1000 to put it in.
So I am in the middle of this also and my heating guy wants to install an Energy Kinetics Resolute boiler (90+ Resolute). What do you think of that product?

Reaction Score
I bought a Burnham when I expanded the house thereby needing a larger unit. The folks at Hitachi Industrial thought it the best boiler in US.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

This is exactly my set up. Probably due to hard water issues (now solved) we did have to replace the cast iron part of the boiler and have gone through 4 different "lifetime" stainless indirect fired hot water heaters. Replaced under warranty, but we pay for labor.

Reaction Score
This is exactly my set up. Probably due to hard water issues (now solved) we did have to replace the cast iron part of the boiler and have gone through 4 different "lifetime" stainless indirect fired hot water heaters. Replaced under warranty, but we pay for labor.

It is funny how u become experts out of necessity.

house in Farmington has well, so my tankless boiler provided on demand hot water. Great right? No way. The hard water absolutely desoteyes the tankless coil twice in 8 years. That is an $1800 repair.

I went and splurged on an indirect system for $3200. No problems. Than, when the oil boiler needed a new power vent ($2k) decided to just go to propane.

I even looked at geothermal heat pump. But the cost is like $20k at a minimum. I don’t care how cheap it is to run.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It is funny how u become experts out of necessity.

house in Farmington has well, so my tankless boiler provided on demand hot water. Great right? No way. The hard water absolutely desoteyes the tankless coil twice in 8 years. That is an $1800 repair.

I went and splurged on an indirect system for $3200. No problems. Than, when the oil boiler needed a new power vent ($2k) decided to just go to propane.

I even looked at geothermal heat pump. But the cost is like $20k at a minimum. I don’t care how cheap it is to run.

Yep. I went with a water softener, because the water also destroyed an expensive Kitchen Aid dishwasher. And was wrecking my sprinkler heads too. But it was my indirect water tank that was needing replacement, even with the stainless.

My well is about 570 ft deep and my house is on ledge.

Reaction Score
So I am in the middle of this also and my heating guy wants to install an Energy Kinetics Resolute boiler (90+ Resolute). What do you think of that product?
I'm honestly not familiar with that boiler.

Reaction Score
I bought a Burnham when I expanded the house thereby needing a larger unit. The folks at Hitachi Industrial thought it the best boiler in US.
Burnham / Crown boilers in general are a great value. They've made affordable cast iron steam and hot water boilers for decades. Very similar to Utica. If you have hard water stay away from high efficiency all together. If it kills a cast iron boiler then it will only be worse with a high efficiency.

Reaction Score
Is this a System 2000 oil boiler? If it is, dont buy it. You're better off with a Buderus 87% Very reliable oil boiler with a Riello burner.

Reaction Score
Is this a System 2000 oil boiler? If it is, dont buy it. You're better off with a Buderus 87% Very reliable oil boiler with a Riello burner.
I believe so. Here is the data sheet on it he gave me.

Attachments

• 0D493DC5-12F8-450A-A036-19227A4190CC.jpeg
    0D493DC5-12F8-450A-A036-19227A4190CC.jpeg
    22.3 KB · Views: 223
Reaction Score
I believe so. Here is the data sheet on it he gave me.
System 2000 boilers are incredibly finicky. Most HVAC technicians simply wont touch them. As soon as you hit 90% efficiency your boiler begins to condense. This means it creates moisture in the flue pipe and that's why high efficiency gas boilers use PVC or CPVC for their flue pipes. This is why the Buderus Blue Flame (Bosch) maxes at 89%. I've never seen a System 2000 over 18 years old. The moisture and the parts used to reach the efficiency break often and expensive to fix. You'll also be stuck with this installer for repairs and whatever he wants to charge you. In my opinion the best and most reliable oil boiler is the Buderus without the blue flame burner. Instead, get the Riello burner. Its still a very high end boiler but most techs can work on them and parts are readily available. It also still achieves Energy Star efficiency at 87% and the Riello burner is incredibly quiet.

System 2000s have been around for a while but for a similar cost the Buderus will last over 25 years, be very close in efficiency and it will be much more reliable. Some actually would bet it uses less oil despite its slightly lower combustion efficiency. I live in Atlanta now so unfortunately all this experience is wasted here lol.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Can someone explain for a dummy like me what a combi-boiler is and why people are replacing them every 10 years.

I have a Weil-McLain that’s 6 years old and I planned on having it for another 15+ unless something crazy happens. Oil and provides hot water as well, is that combi?

I’m on single pipe steam radiators and have no idea if that makes a difference? All this talk of leaks and hard water ruining things has me nervous I’m not aware of an imminent issue.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain for a dummy like me what a combi-boiler is and why people are replacing them every 10 years.

I have a Weil-McLain that’s 6 years old and I planned on having it for another 15+ unless something crazy happens. Oil and provides hot water as well, is that combi?

I’m on single pipe steam radiators and have no idea if that makes a difference? All this talk of leaks and hard water ruining things has me nervous I’m not aware of an imminent issue.
You have a steam boiler, cast iron heat exchanger with a tankless coil. Keep it cleaned every year and it should make it to 25-30. Combi boilers are high efficiency gas boilers. The ones that dont vent through the chimney and can hang on a wall. Those dont last more than 10 or 15 years. 80% boilers that make "on demand" hot water are called tankless coils. They provide about a showers worth of hot water and have been around for 70 years. The only bad thing is Weil Mclanes aren't made like they used to be, so you need to be good about the maintenance. If you find you want more hot water then have a plumber add an electric storage tank to it and you'll have more than you'll ever need for around $1000-$1500. You're fine, sleep well.

Reaction Score
System 2000 boilers are incredibly finicky. Most HVAC technicians simply wont touch them. As soon as you hit 90% efficiency your boiler begins to condense. This means it creates moisture in the flue pipe and that's why high efficiency gas boilers use PVC or CPVC for their flue pipes. This is why the Buderus Blue Flame (Bosch) maxes at 89%. I've never seen a System 2000 over 18 years old. The moisture and the parts used to reach the efficiency break often and expensive to fix. You'll also be stuck with this installer for repairs and whatever he wants to charge you. In my opinion the best and most reliable oil boiler is the Buderus without the blue flame burner. Instead, get the Riello burner. Its still a very high end boiler but most techs can work on them and parts are readily available. It also still achieves Energy Star efficiency at 87% and the Riello burner is incredibly quiet.

System 2000s have been around for a while but for a similar cost the Buderus will last over 25 years, be very close in efficiency and it will be much more reliable. Some actually would bet it uses less oil despite its slightly lower combustion efficiency. I live in Atlanta now so unfortunately all this experience is wasted here lol.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I will talk to him about this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom