Butler Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Butler Postgame Thread

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Give credit to Butler. They came out on fire and gave UConn a good run. But only for about a third of the game.

Paige with the assist record for a single game and for a freshman. Absolutely amazing!

Aaliyah with the double double. Butler had no answer for her inside.

Five players in double figures. Good games by Liv, Christyn, E and Nika.

Now back home and finish it and Marquette off.

Reaction Score
Mir not on bench tonight. Must not have traveled with team.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Today’s game broadcast by SNY was the final one for this season. A tip o the turban to Gary, Kara, Meghan and Allen on a job well done all season. I enjoy their work. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For Paige the volume shots were there but not the efficiency. Guess you can't break records and be efficient at the same time. Aaliya was a beast. 3 point defense disappeared.
It’s ok since she didn’t take really any bad ones. She basically shot mostly wide open threes when the ball swung to her against the zone late in the shot clock, but wasn’t knocking them down. Maybe one in the first half was a little quick (not the one with 45 seconds left when she was going two for one). Sort of a bummer she didn’t shoot a little better, or she would have had close to 30+15.

The other interesting statistical thing, she had 14 assists and 1 turnover. The 1 turnover was the first play of the game when she kicked it to the corner and Nika wasn’t there any more. Not really Nika’s fault, since she had to think about balancing the floor for transition defense when Paige drove - just one of those plays that happen once in a while when one player zigs when the other thinks zag.

Reaction Score
Passing and shooting practice. The defense was so so. Marquette will be a better test. Paige is a great passer and fun to watch. It gets contagious. Aaliyah and Nika are gaining more confidence. Evina needs to score makes us more dangerous.

Reaction Score
Maybe a couple of smaller details: 1) Aubrey is contributing big-time, even with 0 points. It says to me that she is comfortable in her role. Maybe the scoring won't come until next year. I can't remember a time that the offense stopped when she got the ball. She can score in transition and put-backs. 2) I'm finally happy with CW. She's happy and it shows in her play. She's not hesitating. See the interview with Nika after Creighton. Must watch TV. That defensive play was the defensive play of the game- swatted the shot and flicked it to a teammate. 3) I want Liv to play stronger. Make more plays. SC played her straight up and she did fine. The double teams thwart her. Some top-20 coaches saw that today.

Reaction Score
Today’s game broadcast was the final one for this season. A tip o the turban to Gary, Kara, Meghan and Alan on a job well done all season. I enjoy their work. :)
I’ll agree as soon as I hear the technical explanation on Ono. They missed that one completely. No excuses

other than that, I agree!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Mir not on bench tonight. Must not have traveled with team.
Mir was with the team in Omaha, and I’m pretty certain they didn’t head back to Storrs after the Creighton game, simply flying on to Indy.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Butler had 5 seniors playing their last home game, and to their credit they made it a memorable one.
5 seniors and they've only won 2 games this season? Oh my...what are they going to have coming back next year?

Reaction Score
Did AE draw eight fouls? What quick progress in that dimension. And agree with others - she and Paige are moving into a very productive basketball groove together. So much to look forward to.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Paige probably should have had close to 20 assists if her teammates made more shots. Also Paige should have scored 30+ points if she had normal shooting day. Paige is probably not satisfied with how she played today. ?

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I’ll agree as soon as I hear the technical explanation on Ono. They missed that one completely. No excuses

other than that, I agree!
Everyone missed it, they even said so when it happened, there was no explanation given by the refs to the media - which I believe has been the MO this season. I am guessing it will be answered in the post game presser, if Geno actually got a ref to explain it to him.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This was a very good win against a hot shooting team. These things are going to happen. Early on Butler surprised UConn with how deft they were from the arc. From the 2nd period on UConn played much tougher on the perimeter. UConn looked their best when they picked up the pace at the end of the 3rd period. Here they looked like a championship team. They played tough defense on the perimeter, switched like demons and denied anything off the dribble. Once they got the ball they pushed to the rim and ran the lane like hellions.

Yes AE played a treat and was a beast inside all night. Yes Evina finally hit some shots, and I hope this gets her going offensively. I was so happy for her. Yes Nika hit some three's and made some great passes. Yes, CW played well on both ends. This was one of her best defensive games. And Paige had eyes in back of her head on some of those assists.

But.

But oh my did Nika play matador defense all night, and off the ball she had issues in and around screens. For the second straight game Paige's on ball defense was poor, and she was consistently schooled off the dribble. Again. And 95% of Paige's missed shots over the last 3 games have been short. That to me screams tired legs. Freshmen have more than just a new school, a new system and new teammates to figure out. The fact is most freshmen have poor sleeping habits, poor dietary habits and poor practice habits. Now I don't think Paige has poor practice habits at all, but I think she still has much to learn about how to care for her body, and to me, it's starting to show. That for me is very much a part of the freshmen wall.

But.

Again, a good win against the type of team that had nothing to lose and was hot from the arc. As someone mentioned in the game thread, this is the type of thing that happens time and again in the NCAA's. Teams need to see this type of stuff and figure it out in order to win a championship.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom