Butler Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Butler Post Game Thread

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I feel like DH should have a scheme set and have the guys working on it since this seems to be the anti-UConn recipe.

Reaction Score
I've been thinking about why we have trouble with the switching. Something one of the announcers said caught my attention. He kept waiting for Castle to attack the mismatch in the post after the switch. He mentioned it frequently.

It's something we don't do very often. We continue to move the ball around the arc looking for a clean three. We do rarely post up Karaban after the switch. But not a lot. We are not hardwired to find the mismatch on a switch and pound it inside.
It's not something that's extremely common across college basketball for a couple of reasons.
-Forcing the ball into the mismatch has to happen quick, otherwise it allows other defenders to dig in & help
- Also increases the risk for tipped passes & deflections because everyone knows where the ball is going, including the on-ball defender
-Players have a tendency to stand around when there's a mismatch and it grinds the offense to a halt.

Reaction Score
Thought Diarra and Castle D/hustle/passing had huge impact on outcome of game. Get J-Stew/Solo gaining their confidence and a healthy DC by the end of the month. A lot to like.

Reaction Score
It's not something that's extremely common across college basketball for a couple of reasons.
-Forcing the ball into the mismatch has to happen quick, otherwise it allows other defenders to dig in & help
- Also increases the risk for tipped passes & deflections because everyone knows where the ball is going, including the on-ball defender
-Players have a tendency to stand around when there's a mismatch and it grinds the offense to a halt.
These are great points. I've been seeing college teams not take advantage, all the while it's the entire offense of about 12 of the 16 NBA playoff teams (all of them do it in crunch time).
If we can somehow get even halfway decent at taking advantage of these mismatches, we could force the switching teams to abandon that defense against us, or at least have to make a very difficult defensive choice.
Then again, if it was just that easy then everyone would do it. idk

Reaction Score
Watching the game and noticing Castles defender sag way off him…..Why do we continue to have players that never improve their shot at UConn? Taleik Brown, Andre Jackson, and Stephon Castle come to mind. Why not bring in a shooting guru that can work with these guys? Jackson’s shot in the NBA looks much improved, there is no reason why he couldn’t do that 2 years earlier?
Did you ever consider these guys are amazing defenders, passers, rebounders etc. castle is easily the best defender on the team. Hurley just needs to get him in the right spots. Hurley took half a season but ultimately figured out where andre needed to be on offense. I am sure he learned a lot and will maximize castles skill set.

Reaction Score
These are great points. I've been seeing college teams not take advantage, all the while it's the entire offense of about 12 of the 16 NBA playoff teams (all of them do it in crunch time).
If we can somehow get even halfway decent at taking advantage of these mismatches, we could force the switching teams to abandon that defense against us, or at least have to make a very difficult defensive choice.
Then again, if it was just that easy then everyone would do it. idk
We got a little better at it in the final mins last night. I remember one time we executed perfectly- AK got the matchup with their PG, dove to the post, I believe castle hit him right away and AK went straight at him and got a foul.

It’s a hard thing to execute in college but I think they did try to have castle post a few times as well when he had the right guy on him. Again, something that will come more with more in-game reps.

see it the same way I see the 5-out lineup: we don’t have to throw away our primary offense in favor of this… but if we can become comfortable enough to run it well and score out of it, it forces the other team to adjust to the way we want to play. It just becomes another tool in our toolbox rather than a weapon in the other team’s.

Reaction Score
One other random point. Laphonso Ellis is so good. He doesn't call many of our games, but every time he does I wish he was on the call more.
Totally agree. I was commenting {to the Mrs.] during the game how insightful his commentary was. Like how we should be spreading it out and just let Stephon Castle attack the hoop. He didn’t think anyone was going to be able to stop Castle at the rim.

Reaction Score
I've been thinking about why we have trouble with the switching. Something one of the announcers said caught my attention. He kept waiting for Castle to attack the mismatch in the post after the switch. He mentioned it frequently.

It's something we don't do very often. We continue to move the ball around the arc looking for a clean three. We do rarely post up Karaban after the switch. But not a lot. We are not hardwired to find the mismatch on a switch and pound it inside.
Laphonso Ellis.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
horrible coaching job by THAD!!! thank goodness/ their freshman big white kid with pony tail was killing us the first half and he never seen the court in second half
Was thinking the same thing during the game @KyUCONN

1704605370025.png

Haircut immediately made my old ass think of this.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
Energy yes, skills a bit different. Gwynn could light it up in a hurry hence his nickname. So pleased with what Diarra is showing this season. He comes in fresh, disrupts, hands, scores inside, now the 3. He’s actually his own microwave.
definitely different abilities but the energy they infuse into the game when they step on the floor has a similar impact. To have someone come off the bench & reinvigorate the team is where I was gong with this.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
If you're not getting a lob, that entry pass from the top is tough with the defender most likely trailing... Still have to go to a wing before finding the post up.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Totally agree. I was commenting {to the Mrs.] during the game how insightful his commentary was.
I liked when he said that of all the UConn players, Cam was the most like Hurley.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom