OT: - Butler hires Austin Parkinson as women's basketball coach | The Boneyard

OT: Butler hires Austin Parkinson as women's basketball coach

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
INDIANAPOLIS -- Butler hired Austin Parkinson as its women's basketball coach Friday, ending a search that lasted a little more than two weeks. Parkinson won't even have to leave town. The IUPUI campus is only a few miles away from Butler's Hinkle Fieldhouse. He replaces Kurt Godlevske, who was fired by athletic director Barry Collier on March 22 after two of the worst seasons in Bulldogs history. Butler went 1-27 last season.

I posted this as an item of interest to ALL Big East fans. Butler was horrible the last two years. Hopefully Parkinson can come in and turn this program around and at least make them competitive. The athletic directors at Georgetown and Xavier need to follow suit. The BIG East would garner more respect around WCBB if its members were ALL competitive. We'll never be as strong as the power 5 conferences, but at least we can try. This year the BIG East got 4 schools into the tournament. I'd like to see that scenario manifest itself every year. Parkinson has a BIG job ahead of him. He and his staff should already have contacted some of the 1000+ players in the portal that may be able to help them. I wish him all the luck in the world (except of course when we play them). :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Also, Seton Hall got to the WNIT championship and Marquette made some noise. I think the Big East was one of the biggest conferences out there this year (ignore me trying to shove DePaul under the carpet while nobody’s looking……)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
INDIANAPOLIS -- Butler hired Austin Parkinson as its women's basketball coach Friday, ending a search that lasted a little more than two weeks. Parkinson won't even have to leave town. The IUPUI campus is only a few miles away from Butler's Hinkle Fieldhouse. He replaces Kurt Godlevske, who was fired by athletic director Barry Collier on March 22 after two of the worst seasons in Bulldogs history. Butler went 1-27 last season.
Damn, Austin's got some work to do. On the other hand, pretty much they can only improve.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I posted this as an item of interest to ALL Big East fans. Butler was horrible the last two years. Hopefully Parkinson can come in and turn this program around and at least make them competitive. The athletic directors at Georgetown and Xavier need to follow suit....
@Carnac -Georgetown did add a top 100 recruit for next year, something that 7 other Big East schools were unable to do. Their coach, James Howard just finished his 4th year and the team shows some signs of improvement so he has another 1-2 years to show more.

Xavier's Melanie Moore just finished her 3rd year of a rebuild so she has two more years (5 year contract?) to see if she can improve.

Yes, Butler, Georgetown and Xavier were all horrible from a NET and RPI rating, seriously lowering the league's overall ranking to just behind the American but let's not solely blame these programs who at least have made changes to get better. What about Providence College? That coach has to go. What about St. John's? Formerly a decent program but Tartamella has been there 10 years now and has done very little since taking over for Barnes-Arico.

As for Seton Hall, yes Bozzella had a phenomenal run both in the Big East and WNIT but his was an underachieving season and has had two key transfers that assisted his program in unprecedented ways (both are now done). He still leaves me unimpressed and he has been there 9 years now. What does this team have next year besides Lauren Park-Lane?

To me, Butler absolutely had to make a change, was it the right change, no so sure. PC and St. John's are next on the clock. Georgetown hopes to have improvement with their new class this year. Xavier should be improved next year. Seton Hall could have issues but again, the transfer portal can do wonders for any of these programs.

Reaction Score
Damn, Austin's got some work to do. On the other hand, pretty much they can only improve.
Wasn't Hana Muhl originally a signed commitment to IUPUI?? So what does anyone
think are Hana's chances of getting her release from IUPUI and then playing for BUTLER!
Muhl vs Muhl that would be interesting!! Hana ... follow that head coach that you
signed to play for!!

Reaction Score
Wasn't Hana Muhl originally a signed commitment to IUPUI?? So what does anyone
think are Hana's chances of getting her release from IUPUI and then playing for BUTLER!
Muhl vs Muhl that would be interesting!! Hana ... follow that head coach that you
signed to play for!!
My mistake! Hana signed with THE FIGHTING ILLINI = Big 10 ( Bloomington ) with Coach
Nancy Fahey, who has retired. Hana recently withdrew her commitment due to the
coaching change. The new Butler Head Coach comes from the
Horizon Conference, IUPUI Jaguars, which is is Urbana-Champaign. So the
Muhl - Muhl contest , so far, is only in my head!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My mistake! Hana signed with THE FIGHTING ILLINI = Big 10 ( Bloomington ) with Coach
Nancy Fahey, who has retired. Hana recently withdrew her commitment due to the
coaching change. The new Butler Head Coach comes from the
Horizon Conference, IUPUI Jaguars, which is is Urbana-Champaign. So the
Muhl - Muhl contest , so far, is only in my head!
Ummmm

U of I (University of Illinois) is located in Champaign-Urbana

IUPUI (University of Indiana University of Purdue Indianapolis) is located in....Indianapolis.

UI (University of Indiana) is located in Bloomington

ISU (Illinois State University) is located in Bloomington-Normal

Reaction Score
Also, Seton Hall got to the WNIT championship and Marquette made some noise. I think the Big East was one of the biggest conferences out there this year (ignore me trying to shove DePaul under the carpet while nobody’s looking……)

Creighton and Villanova, both of which return virtually all of their important starters and bench players, will be even tougher next year. DePaul falls off the map, but Connecticut will have its hands full with those two programs. And I'm guessing that the NCAA will not snub them as they did this year.

Reaction Score
Creighton and Villanova, both of which return virtually all of their important starters and bench players, will be even tougher next year. DePaul falls off the map, but Connecticut will have its hands full with those two programs. And I'm guessing that the NCAA will not snub them as they did this year.
Unfortunately Villanova is not returning “virtually all of their important starters and bench players.” They lose Herlihy to exhausted eligibility and Garzon has entered transfer portal. That is the 2nd and 3rd leading scorers for nova. Hopefully they pick up in the portal but they’re not known for portal success.

Depaul has lost their 2nd and 3rd scorers as well. Morris entered the portal. And Held declared for WNBA. If held withdraws from wnba she has 1 year of eligibility left. Their 6th man (Bekelja) has exhausted her eligibility.

Creighton is really the only one of the aforementioned that are returning strong.

Hopefully the others can find some luck in the portal.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Its confusing I know, but its Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis located in (surprise) Indianapolis. A collaborative enterprise.

Reaction Score
Ummmm

U of I (University of Illinois) is located in Champaign-Urbana

IUPUI (University of Indiana University of Purdue Indianapolis) is located in....Indianapolis.

UI (University of Indiana) is located in Bloomington

ISU (Illinois State University) is located in Bloomington-Normal

Its confusing I know, but its Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis located in (surprise) Indianapolis. A collaborative enterprise.

No matter how you slice it this is confusing as hell lol Head bang

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom