Butler Didn't Do It ThoughtZ™ | The Boneyard

Butler Didn't Do It ThoughtZ™

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
  1. 6 seconds in to his first game time in forever, Akok showed no hesitancy to go high in the air for the block attempt. Would have brought the house down (MY house. Probably not Hinkle) if he'd made the block, but it was still great to see how effortlessly he went up.
  2. Twenty-five seconds later Martin rebounds his own miss and dumps it to Akok for his first bucket of the season.
  3. Next possession -- Polley three. We only outscored them 5 to 4 in that sequence, but somehow, that's when I knew we were going to win and relaxed.
  4. I like aggressive Polley.
  5. Refs favored butler. They seemed to make quite a few reflex calls on block attempts, but through my nat'l flag blue tinted glasses, it looked like 4 on us to 2 on Butler.
  6. 12:30 left badams put the ball on his hip on the drive. Reminded me a bit of Kemba.
  7. We made good use of our 15 available fouls in the middle -- 11 among Whaley, Sanogo and Carlton in 52 minutes. If you want to add Martin and Polley as interior guys, they had 64 minutes and one foul between them. But I'm only counting time at the 5 or the traditional 4.
  8. I know it's not in DH's DNA to turn a guy loose the first few games after returning from injury, but I would have liked to see more than 6 minutes of Akok today.
  9. I found it incomprehensible that Whalley, Carlton and Sanogo only got 10 boards among the three of them.
  10. Martin only shot 5 of 12, and I swear, most of what he missed was from within 2 feet of the rim.
  11. Martin also tied Cole for the rebounding lead with 7 each.
  12. Particularly in the 2nd half, we had quite a few defensive lapses when we had 3 guys basically at the foul line, and they got driven right past by a guard. I got the feeling that it was more a matter of the Butler staff having figured out a weakness in the defensive scheme that DH was using for a stretch in the 2nd half, more than a personnel issue.
  13. Wonder if Adams ever led the team in minutes before? Only a minute more than Zay and 2 minutes more than either Martin or Polley, but still... He kept the bonehead plays to a minimum, and I've got to admit, I feel pretty confident with him on the FT line. His value is on the rise with Bouk out.
  14. Cole's 7/7/2 line isn't going to make headlines, but I felt like he had his strongest performance of the year.
  15. Gaffney also contributed more to the W than his 5/4/3 line would suggest, particularly in the 2nd half. His aggressive play seems to run in spurts though. Still, both of our much maligned PGs played passable half court defense for the most part.
  16. Thanks mostly to Polley and Martin, we shot nearly 50% from 3 as a team. Mix in our 80% from the line, and it's starting to feel kinda like the old days.
  17. Whaley fouled out with a few seconds left, but he seemed to be a particular target of the refs. 2 of his fouls were pretty clearly clean blocks, and another was questionable -- at least to my eye. Yeah, I know, nat'l flag blue glasses, yada yada, but there were a lot of much more obvious fouls both ways that weren't called.
  18. Loved Josh's mid court steal and breakaway for the jam. See video below. He deserves a little fun for all the heavy lifting he's called on to do.
  19. The team spirit, if that's what you want to call it, is building. Hurley's system is catching on. The guys seem to be understanding it and appreciating it. And they are all in on the culture Hurley espouses. They pick each other up when they get knocked down. They cheer each other on and celebrate each others successful plays. Most of all, they look like they really enjoy winning. It's a beautiful thing to see.
  20. Happy with the win, but unless we get considerably better somewhere, we're not going to beat a good team without Bouk.
  21. ESPN website is horrible; Tyler Polley should be a story since Bouk went down. On his stats page on ESPN.Com, the "Latest News" feature is that he's out for the season with a torn ACL.

Last edited:

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Waaaaay too long. I didn’t even read that. Stop bloviating.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Will Ferrell Anchorman GIF by AOK

Vu ja De or I am over sativa'd?

Last edited:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Chief00 read it and enjoyed it and would have preferred to not read your comment, despite its brevity.

Gave you a like but Richard Cabeza00 never comments on other BY game breakdowns because it pushes them to the front of the home page. Instead, he finds silly reasons to respond to his own.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
Wow. Props to whoever did that but now that it’s over this thread is way less fun.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Gave you a like but Richard Cabeza00 never comments on other BY game breakdowns because it pushes them to the front of the home page. Instead, he finds silly reasons to respond to his own.

The name's Ricardo, señor.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Says the poster whose lips are firmly planted on a pair of red briefs
Oh come on. You actually dissected that entire 21-point policy memo? I'm not here to read legal briefs...only Chief's Briefs!

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
7. Refs favored butler. They seemed to make quite a few reflex calls on block attempts, but through my nat'l flag blue tinted glasses, it looked like 4 on us to 2 on Butler.
I'm going to disagree. A few bad calls like always but I honestly don't remember anything heinous. That ref with the luxurious white hair always bones us yet he didn't yesterday. He had a few chances, too.

Reaction Score
Too many turnovers in the first half, and the staff unable quickly to fix the problem when the guard cut around a high screen consisting of two stacked bigs and neither of the defensive bigs knew whose job it was to hedge the screen. But other than that, without Bouk and with foul trouble interfering with the planned roations, I thought the play was quite good. And the effort is becoming consistently strong.

Reaction Score
I don't the refs favored Butler. I just think they were bad in general.

I just think it is funny how the NCAA rules of emphasis are completely forgotten by the refs after a year or two. Whaley got popped in the jaw at least two times by Golden on moves. Also love how the illegal screens with your feet wider than your shoulders have disappeared as well. And finally, it seems like every time Gaffney tries to drive he has a forearm on him, so the freedom movement era is over for now apparently.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I saw >80% from the FT line. That's championship material right there

The difference maker in close games

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
It takes about a minute to read. I always wonder, do people pick up a book anymore or are those "too long" too? Even crazier, it's about a topic you like. Come on man.
My bad. You're right. I guess I just prefer brevity and conciseness on the internet. I read many books though - I'm currently working on 4 right now.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Nice job @RichZ. Two comments:
  • Akok was definitely tentative in the paint on D. I’m glad DH is taking it slow.
  • I feel like Whaley gets an extra foul call here and there because of his body movements (not to mention he’s a demonstrative guy). When he blocks a shot, at times there can be a lot of extra movement. Just watched a few minutes of a highlight reel and he occasionally kicks out his legs or arms (even on an open jumper). This is not a criticism, just an observation. Sometimes I think he does it for balance and other times he’s just a big, long-limbed dude with a motor and people get in his way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom