Busting Brackets Top 25 Frontcourts and Backcourts | The Boneyard

Busting Brackets Top 25 Frontcourts and Backcourts

Reaction Score
If someone thinks you have the 12th best frontcourt and the 18th best backcourt that must mean they think the team is really good. Right?

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how we use Jackson. I honestly believe he can play 2-4 regularly, defend 1-5 in the big east. I think it was Rothstein that said we may play him as a small ball 4 but I’ve heard in practice he’s being used at the 2 and the 3.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how we use Jackson. I honestly believe he can play 2-4 regularly, defend 1-5 in the big east. I think it was Rothstein that said we may play him as a small ball 4 but I’ve heard in practice he’s being used at the 2 and the 3.

It seems like Martin is a better option as a small ball 4. I think Jackson has a shot to start at the SG spot as a sophomore, so it wouldn't surprise me if he plays there and the 3. His NBA role would be as a guard, so he's going to want to flash the ball handling and passing in college.

Plus we are just loaded with bigs. If this team plays small, it means a big chunk of the roster doesn't play.

Reaction Score
It seems like Martin is a better option as a small ball 4
agreed. martin and polley and akok and whaley should get >99% of the minutes at PF this year. that doesnt leave much of a chance for springs to crack the rotation yet, but if jackson plays at the 4 too then springs has 0 chance of playing

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Gaffney is worried about what a writer who thinks we have the 12th best group of bigs in the country thinks, he isn't savvy enough to run the point.

Our 7 bigs, if you count Polley as one, have not one player who has come near all league status. Are we really deep? Yes. Are we experienced? Yes. Is there potential for this to end up a good group? Yes. But 12th in the nation? Better than our backcourt? Just not a reasonable take on things.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
agreed. martin and polley and akok and whaley should get >99% of the minutes at PF this year. that doesnt leave much of a chance for springs to crack the rotation yet, but if jackson plays at the 4 too springs has 0 chance of playing

Hurley did also say that Sanogo can now play the 4 because of his weight loss. Not sure how much he will, but DH mentioned it. I think Martin, Jackson, Adams will share the minutes at the 3.

Reaction Score
assuming a balanced roster, which we have, a weighted average (3/5s front court and 2/5s backcourt) = 12 (.6) + 17 (.4) = 14th overall
Gotta believe making Gaffney part of our Backcourt Ranking would have improved these numbers..

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If Gaffney is worried about what a writer who thinks we have the 12th best group of bigs in the country thinks, he isn't savvy enough to run the point.

Our 7 bigs, if you count Polley as one, have not one player who has come near all league status. Are we really deep? Yes. Are we experienced? Yes. Is there potential for this to end up a good group? Yes. But 12th in the nation? Better than our backcourt? Just not a reasonable take on things.
Whoever emerges out of those 7 is going to be very, very good. Akok and sanogo are definitely all conference talents, and Whaley very well might be all conference this year.

Reaction Score
I saw the front court one beforehand, clicked to about 15 or so, didn’t see UConn and clicked out thinking they missed us... it feels good to be somewhat relevant again

Reaction Score
Interresting that this guy ranks front > backcourt
they dont seem to think much of gaffney so it makes sense. aside from bouk we've got an unknown in cole and a role player in adams

Reaction Score
The answer to the question of equating to a top 25 ranking is... outside the top 30

Doesn't make a lot of sense, does it? Except that the when you look at who wrote the articles, Ian Mumm wrote the top frontcourts and backcourts articles and the top 25 had a bunch of voters that ended up ranking the teams. Eh, who cares. Bring it on!

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
they dont seem to think much of gaffney so it makes sense. aside from bouk we've got an unknown in cole and a role player in adams

If they aren’t mentioning Gaffney at all and underplaying Cole, I think that’s a big part ignorance on the writer’s part.

Cole looks like a stud by all accounts and was great at a low-mid major. He’s the kinda kid they’d be talking up like CRAZY if he went to Duke MSU or Kansas, just as examples.

If you consider Jackson even a part time guard, that’s a darn formidable 5 guys. Bouk and Cole could be one of the best in the country.

Reaction Score
If they aren’t mentioning Gaffney at all and underplaying Cole, I think that’s a big part ignorance on the writer’s part.

Cole looks like a stud by all accounts and was great at a low-mid major. He’s the kinda kid they’d be talking up like CRAZY if he went to Duke MSU or Kansas, just as examples.

If you consider Jackson even a part time guard, that’s a darn formidable 5 guys. Bouk and Cole could be one of the best in the country.

I'm pumping the brakes on Cole more than you. Howard wasn't "low mid-major"... they were one of the worst teams in the country. Cole performed well vs the better teams like I've pointed out before, but his usage was really high.

I do think he'll be good. Leading the offense and play hard on D is what we need. effeciency to me is going to be more important than raw numbers. I doubt anyone but Bouk gets a substantial number of shots up on average.

Maybe a 9/2/4 type of season on fairly effecient numbers that creep up later in the season to be very good.

Just a guess. And I'll be happy if I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
The answer to the question of equating to a top 25 ranking is... outside the top 30

ESPN is starting to get the hype. They moved UConn into the first "Next in line" spot. Which I'm assuming means #26.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
It seems like Martin is a better option as a small ball 4. I think Jackson has a shot to start at the SG spot as a sophomore, so it wouldn't surprise me if he plays there and the 3. His NBA role would be as a guard, so he's going to want to flash the ball handling and passing in college.

Plus we are just loaded with bigs. If this team plays small, it means a big chunk of the roster doesn't play.
I like Martin at the small ball 4 too. Although I see him more as a traditional small forward, like a poor man’s Harrison Barnes.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm pumping the brakes on Cole more than you. Howard wasn't "low mid-major"... they were one of the worst teams in the country. Cole performed well vs the better teams like I've pointed out before, but his usage was really high.

I do think he'll be good. Leading the offense and play hard on D is what we need. effeciency to me is going to be more important than raw numbers. I doubt anyone but Bouk gets a substantial number of shots up on average.

Maybe a 9/2/4 type of season on fairly effecient numbers that creep up later in the season to be very good.

We need to settle Coles expectations before all the threads about why he isnt an all conference player. Should probably repost those stats from the meac stars that transfered to the P5.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

Understood...but he knows how to play and he’s good. He doesn’t need to score 25 a game. I think he’s the type of kid that we see all the time, meaning he’s good enough for any level, but that didn’t show when he was coming out of HS. I think you’ll be surprised.

Reaction Score
Between Cole and Gaffney.. We are set at PG for 40 solid minutes per game for the next two years..I don't know how the minutes will be split but I wouldn't be surprised if they also played 10-12 minutes per game at the same time.. The MEAC..Top to bottom..Is not as good as the AAC or BE.. No argument.. So let's forget about his career at Howard..IMO.. I do believe that some Yarders are not taking RJ's exceptional HS career vs 5 star heavy nationally ranked HS teams into account as to predicting his future value for the Good Guys..Not to mention his redshirt year in Storrs getting stronger and better.. Glad to have RJ/JG on the team..

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Rumor mill: Bouknight and Whaley named team captains. Can anyone confirm?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom