Bus load of Canadian girls coming to see Aaliyah | The Boneyard

Bus load of Canadian girls coming to see Aaliyah

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Fantastic! Obvious question to be answered by our recruiting gurus: Are any of them at the level of
UConn prospects?
No doubt Aaliyah will meet and greet and take selfies with her young “homies” that endured a 10-hour bus ride to see her play. They are already Aaliyah fans. If they aren’t UConn fans now, they will be after the game. It’s hard to attend a UConn WBB game and not become hooked. This should be a road trip none of them will ever forget. I wouldn’t mind attending today’s game either. :)

Reaction Score
Aalijah is so deserving to have loyal fans from Canada make such a long trip to meet and see her play. I know that she is so happy and she is so deserving. It's an honor. Great learning experience for all the young ladies. AE a true role model.

Carnac

Reaction Score

I'd like to spend about half an hour in that book store looking over and buying some UConn gear. Don't be surprised if this group makes another road trip next year to a UConn home game since they had such a memorable time/trip this time. :) Aaliyah made lifetime fans of ALL those girls today.

In football, they say any play good enough to run once, is good enough to run twice. The same can be said about road trips to Gampel Pavilion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm too lazy to look this up, but does anyone know if UConn has scheduled a "homecoming" game for AE in her senior year ?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
True, but they are BOTH excellent role models for young “would-be” female basketball players from Canada or the U.S. Kia Nurse almost walks on water in canadian women’s basketball circles.
Didn't say she wasn't just reminding @Bills Fan that their could be, for what Kia has done for WBB in Canada makes her a very good and is equal to or maybe a little better as a role model. Kia has started a girls basketball league in Canada, I believe that it is the first one ever established in Canada. Of course Kia has the funds and sponsor support for the league, something that she can do, currently AE is not in that position.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
RNS also played at the Canterbury School as part of this trip, so that's pretty cool.
FYI, Canterbury School is located in New Milford, CT, which is north of Danbury, and on the other side of the State from Storrs. Those girls really love to travel.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I don’t think next years schedule has been announced
It's been my experience that PREconference schedules are completed during the summer leading up to the coming season. Teams have to compare dates they can play and find a date that is compatible for both teams. When scheduling a "homecoming" game, first, UConn must find a "local" Division 1 college/university in the senior's home town that will host UConn and that senior.

Not all teams are willing to host UConn for a homecoming game. During the 2015-2016 season, Breanna Stewart's senior year, UConn wanted to schedule a homecoming game in her hometown of Syracuse New York. The Syracuse University head coach at that time, Quentin Hillsman, refused UConn's request to host them. UConn would get the last laugh when they defeated Syracuse for the national championship later that season for UConn's 11th and last championship.

1674409859163.png

Quentin Hillsman

UConn then turned to the next closest college which was Colgate University approximately 42 miles away. The coaches at Colgate were thrilled and honored to host a homecoming game for Stewart. The ironic thing about that situation was that Syracuse played a home game the same night that UConn played Colgate in their tiny 1,750 seat facility, Cotterell Court. Naturally, the UConn game was sold out. The reported attendance at the 49,057 seat Carrier Dome was approximately 338. Hillsman was replaced by former Buffalo head coach Felisha Legette-Jack in March of 2022.

Most coaches are willing to host UConn for several reasons..........as a favor to Geno, It's good competition for their team, the exposure for their program is heightened when UConn comes to town, it can be used as a recruiting tool, and the game is always nationally televised on SNY if not the national networks.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom