Burton isn't hanging this on Susan... | The Boneyard

Burton isn't hanging this on Susan...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
But wanna guess who? He's not wrong.

"I think that we just got caught in the headlights and weren't ready a long time ago," Burton told Greenwich Time Wednesday in an exclusive interview.
Burton, 71, a corporate raider from Greenwich whose holdings include a $2 billion printing conglomerate, blamed the prior administrations at the school and its former athletic department regime.
"It's a disappointing day for UConn," Burton said. "I don't care what anyone says. Any fan of UConn would have liked to be part of the ACC. If they say they don't, they're not telling you the truth."
At the same time, Burton spoke highly of Susan Herbst, UConn's president of 18 months, who he said he wished was around five years ago when conference realignment came on the radar.
"We're five years late," Burton said. "And you pay the price for it."

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Billionaires tend to be pompous and right a lot of the time.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Really idiotic how this all went down after Edsall left. This school deserves everything it's getting right now. Someone get a Gypsy and curse Hathaway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Guys don't worry; remember when we hired Pasqualoni one of the reasons he was hired was because he had the support of the Connecticut High School Football Coaches. With their support we are assuredly guaranteed acceptance into the CCC, or if we're lucky the FCIAC.

Also, this is a good day for Hathaway haters as the hatred for him is at an all time high and steadily growing.

Reaction Score
It is a dog eat dog world. I have been on this forum preaching the fact that we need to expand the Rent to 55K to show we are serious about football. Many here have said until there is demand, there is no point. RU expanded their stadium by going into huge debt. UL expanded their place as well. Those things paid dividends for both schools. Meanwhile, we are here.

Whether we like it or not, football drives the bus and conference realignment. Our 40K stadium just screams small time. We have no choice, we have to start investing in football by expanding the stadium and get a real coach or we will get left behind again down the road.

Reaction Score
I think this guidance is what the University needs to take to heart.​

"UConn would nevertheless be foolish to abandon its exit strategy from the Big East, according to Burton"
It's obvious to me that, we were outmaneuvered by L'ville, most likely by their AD. We brought in a very inexperienced AD, at the wrong time. Warde may well turn out to be very capable, but he wasn't the right choice for us with the environment the way it is today, a year ago, and even further back.

IMO, UConn didn't close the deal and get the appropriate support from the ACC membership, it's that plain and simple. For all the great things this University has to offer, we should have been selected...but you've gotta close the deal. We need some closers to join the administration at UConn immediately so we are ready if/when our next opportunity surfaces.

Tough day to be a Husky!

Reaction Score
I think this guidance is what the University needs to take to heart.​

"UConn would nevertheless be foolish to abandon its exit strategy from the Big East, according to Burton"
It's obvious to me that, we were outmaneuvered by L'ville, most likely by their AD. We brought in a very inexperienced AD, at the wrong time. Warde may well turn out to be very capable, but he wasn't the right choice for us with the environment the way it is today, a year ago, and even further back.

IMO, UConn didn't close the deal and get the appropriate support from the ACC membership, it's that plain and simple. For all the great things this University has to offer, we should have been selected...but you've gotta close the deal. We need some closers to join the administration at UConn immediately so we are ready if/when our next opportunity surfaces.

Tough day to be a Husky!

Completely agree. I said as much in an earlier thread i started. You are exactly correct in your assessment.

We didn't SELL and we certainly never CLOSED.

Reaction Score
those high school football coaches. I hope they are proud of their influence now.

Reaction Score
Hogan was obviously a poor pick but remember he fooled 2 schools. Somehow Austin is now in charge of the Community College system.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i have always wanted to have a drink and watch a game with burton and see what the chat turns into. maybe 1 day i'll get that dream.

Reaction Score
We pimped ourselves a year ago and got the cold shoulder; we took the high road this year and got same result. At some point one might think, it's the message, and not the messneger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom