Burton: “We want to be a leader in NIL in Group of Five” | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Burton: “We want to be a leader in NIL in Group of Five”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Disagree. The Big East and Hockey East are both power conferences in everything but football. We are independent in football, not a member of a G5 conference.
How is Hockey East, a Hockey only conference, a power conference in everything but football?

The Big East is ONLY a high-major in men’s basketball. It is not a high-major or power conference in anything else.

Drew

Reaction Score
We are not trying to compete with the big boys, at least not yet. I mean I don't think Burton could have spell it out any easier "We want to be a leader in NIL in GROUP OF FIVE" emphasis on group of 5.
Exactly. You don’t get promoted for doing your current job, you get promoted for doing the next job in your current title.

If we were creating a NIL pool that mirrored P5’s (a la SMUs as an example) it would become a major positive for us in realignment (and was for SMU). Having an average G5 NIL operation is standard work for where we are at currently.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
How is Hockey East, a Hockey only conference, a power conference in everything but football?

The Big East is ONLY a high-major in men’s basketball. It is not a high-major or power conference in anything else.
Hockey East is a power conference in hockey. Big East is a power conference in all sports it plays.

Drew

Reaction Score
Hockey East is a power conference in hockey. Big East is a power conference in all sports it plays.
You’re going to sit here with a straight face and tell me the Big East is a power league in baseball, volleyball, etc? It’s a one bid league.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Exactly. You don’t get promoted for doing your current job, you get promoted for doing the next job in your current title.

If we were creating a NIL pool that mirrored P5’s (a la SMUs as an example) it would become a major positive for us in realignment (and was for SMU). Having an average G5 NIL operation is standard work for where we are at currently.
I think we are making the same point in different ways. I want us to look like a power conference school so that we become one.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
You’re going to sit here with a straight face and tell me the Big East is a power league in baseball, volleyball, etc? It’s a one bid league.
Yes. Plus, you can't see my face

Drew

Reaction Score
I think we are making the same point in different ways. I want us to look like a power conference school so that we become one.
Correct- you have to behave like one in order to get the invite. We’re basically a junior resource who wants to become a manager and is telling our boss that we’ll start acting like a Manager once we get promoted. It doesn’t happen that way.

Drew

Reaction Score
Yes. Plus, you can't see my face
It wouldn’t be the first time people have lied on the internet, that’s for sure.

Reaction Score

You can’t fake it till you make it. We need to let go of this strategy.

If you want to prove you can be a P4 football school then be a proven winner at the G5 level in football.

Reaction Score
The D'Amelio is not a 501c3.

I imagine (as bleeding blue is also gong to participate as an NIL collective) that they will provide confirmation of taxable status for all donations. If a donation to them is directed (by the donor) for NIL us, that donation won't be deductible.

But it is still NIL related to the extent that the athlete gets the $ for service performed to a charity instead of going directly to the athlete for nothing. Point being is that your $ "might" go further (on a tax effected basis) with BBFG than with DHC given the structure.

Reaction Score
I think that Xavier also made the NCAA baseball tournament in 2023

Reaction Score
Did he factor in the outflows? It isn't like you just put $50M in the market and let it ride forever.
I understand. But inflows (cash contributions to the fund from donors) are not counted either. If the $600 million is less than the long-term return from 1995, then either we had poor returns or the cash contributions to the fund are very low. The point being that we don't have the financial muscle to seriously compete in this new environment.

Reaction Score
Jason Belzer says a top tight end is worth around $100k in the portal, but word on the street is that our TE just got around TRIPLE that to go to Tennessee.

So all these numbers are outdated and understated. Chumps like us are trying to adjust to, “the big boys spent $1.5M on transfers last year”… while the big boys have kept growing and are probably spending at least triple what they did last year. We need more money!

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Why? They are the ones who pushed for Edsall to come back.
I thought it was more about getting rid of Diaco than pushing for Edsall. We had no money for the Diaco buyout, and then Edsall was the only bum available that we could afford. At the time it was absolutely worth it to move on from Diaco, so thanks to the Burtons for that.

Reaction Score
I thought it was more about getting rid of Diaco than pushing for Edsall. We had no money for the Diaco buyout, and then Edsall was the only bum available that we could afford. At the time it was absolutely worth it to move on from Diaco, so thanks to the Burtons for that.

As bad as Diaco was, we might have been better off keeping him. Hindsight 20/20 though.

Reaction Score
Wasn't that going from bad to laughingly worse?

Reaction Score
I understand. But inflows (cash contributions to the fund from donors) are not counted either. If the $600 million is less than the long-term return from 1995, then either we had poor returns or the cash contributions to the fund are very low. The point being that we don't have the financial muscle to seriously compete in this new environment.

They didn't start taking this stuff seriously until 2010.

Newton raised $400M but didn't even start until 2013.

I remember telling Newton in 2014 or so that you couldn't even create a monthly donation on the UCONN website. I had been complaining about it for years, but the employees didn't understand it because they could have money taken out of their checks so it wasn't relevant to them. But I'm involved at SCSU and have had monthly donations on my Amex card since 2005.

He was super embarrassed. So you can't look at this as a straight line. If he raised $400M in 5 years - the money is out there.

Reaction Score
Imagine being so stupid that you go out on a limb for a mediocre retread like Paul Pasqualoni; while knowingly alienating the family whose name is on your football building.

That’s the history of UConn Football in a nutshell.
Pasqualoni would have had a winning season in his first two seasons had he hired anyone but DeLeone for OC.

Reaction Score
They didn't start taking this stuff seriously until 2010.

Newton raised $400M but didn't even start until 2013.

I remember telling Newton in 2014 or so that you couldn't even create a monthly donation on the UCONN website. I had been complaining about it for years, but the employees didn't understand it because they could have money taken out of their checks so it wasn't relevant to them. But I'm involved at SCSU and have had monthly donations on my Amex card since 2005.

He was super embarrassed. So you can't look at this as a straight line. If he raised $400M in 5 years - the money is out there.
Exactly. I could tell stories about UConn fundraising in the late 1990s that were embarassing as well. And, some very recent ones as well.

Reaction Score
Exactly. I could tell stories about UConn fundraising in the late 1990s that were embarassing as well. And, some very recent ones as well.

In addition, a lot of the money that was raised went to facilities so none of that went to the endowment. So there is a lot to unpack there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom