Burr Carlson passes away | The Boneyard

Burr Carlson passes away

Reaction Score
Burr was an assistant under Fred Shabel in the 60's. He became HC for a few lean years.
Dee Rowe replaced him in the late 60's

Reaction Score
That clip brought back so many memories and names I had forgotten about like Bill Dela Sala and Ed Slomsenski (sp). I saw every home game plus a couple of away games during the Kimball and Wes years. When Fred Shabel was hired, he visited a number of dorms to introduce himself and talk BBall. I was fortunate enough to be at one of these and you could tell he would be successful. I was there when Wes set the scoring record and just watching him and Toby in the video was a trip down memory lane. Great times in the old Yankee Conf.

Reaction Score
Somebody needs to post the droopy dog mascot image as a tribute to this guy.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Thoughts and prayers to his family. He had an unsuccessful two year stint as HC in the late 1960's, largely because the school administration wouldn't let him recruit marginal qualifiers. Despite records of 11-13 and 5-19, Carlson really had Syracuse's number. His 67-68 team beat them 89-84 at Manley FH, and his 5-19 team in 68-69 trounced them 103-84 at the Field House.

RIP Burr...always a Husky.

C

Chief00

Thoughts and prayers to his family. He had an unsuccessful two year stint as HC in the late 1960's, largely because the school administration wouldn't let him recruit marginal qualifiers. Despite records of 11-13 and 5-19, Carlson really had Syracuse's number. His 67-68 team beat them 89-84 at Manley FH, and his 5-19 team in 68-69 trounced them 103-84 at the Field House.

RIP Burr...always a Husky.

That has always been an issue with Chief - why exclude the marginal qualifiers?

Reaction Score
That has always been an issue with Chief - why exclude the marginal qualifiers?

At that time, Yalies , who controlled the state legislature, said that the school should put more focus on academics, less on athletics. This, while the campus was deteriorating due to lack of state funding.

Earlier, at an Aetna Men's Club Banquet, coach Shabel told my uncle that UConn was threatened with the loss of funding if football was moved up to the level of BCU, Syracuse, etc. as planned. So Forzano, Rutigliano, and Holtz were forced out.

Yale's desire to remain the state's dominant football program was the reason. Academics was the excuse.

I met Coach Carlson during an event to thank major donors, a few days before the Gampel opening against St John's. Great guy who loved UConn.

C

Chief00

At that time, Yalies , who controlled the state legislature, said that the school should put more focus on academics, less on athletics. This, while the campus was deteriorating due to lack of state funding.

Earlier, at an Aetna Men's Club Banquet, coach Shabel told my uncle that UConn was threatened with the loss of funding if football was moved up to the level of BCU, Syracuse, etc. as planned. So Forzano, Rutigliano, and Holtz were forced out.

Yale's desire to remain the state's dominant football program was the reason. Academics was the excuse.

I met Coach Carlson during an event to thank major donors, a few days before the Gampel opening against St John's. Great guy who loved UConn.

Thanks - interesting history before my time.

Reaction Score

There was a story a while back that credited the opening of the UConn School of Law, which eventually lead to UConn lawyers dominating the legislature, as the key factor in UConn finally getting major funding for the renovation of the campus and the building of many new buildings and facilities during the past two decades.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Not only that, but then UConn president Homer Babbidge came directly from Yale, and was all too eager to play along. His vision was to turn UConn into a "public Ivy". That's why he hired Toner to coach the team, because he was an Ivy League guy coming from Columbia, who shared in Babbidge's vision.

They must have gotten real nervous when we first beat Yale in football during the 1965 season. For all their emphasis on keeping Yale in the forefront, other than the 1960 season when Yale went undefeated, and the two seasons with Dowling and Hill (1967-68), Yale was decidedly mediocre or worse during the decade of the 60's. Of course, so was UConn. Then came the 80's and 90's when we started routinely whipping up on the Elis, sometimes unmercifully, to the point where they chose to suspend the series.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom