Burdick, Howard, Van Lith and ??? Are U.S.A.'s 3x3 Hoops Olympic Team (merged) | The Boneyard

Burdick, Howard, Van Lith and ??? Are U.S.A.'s 3x3 Hoops Olympic Team (merged)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Given who has been playing for the U.S. in various competitions, this isn't that much of a surprise. As the attached ESPN article says:
"Brink, Burdick and Van Lith won gold at the 2023 FIBA 3x3 World Cup -- where Brink took home MVP -- while Burdick also won gold at the 2014 World Championship for 3x3. All four recently played in the FIBA 3x3 Women's Series Springfield Stop -- where Canada beat USA to win the event -- and have other 3x3 and 5x5 experience with USA Basketball."

Howard had been called up for stints with the U.S.A. 5x5 team. This appointment to the 3x3 team seems to confirm that she wasn't viewed as making that full-court team, but would make an excellent addition to the half-court game, much like her current Atlanta Dream teammate Alisha Gray was in 2021 in Tokyo. (In fact, Gray may be in competition for one of those 5x5 slots, as I type.)

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
I'm excited to see all the players, to be honest!

Reaction Score
I love 3x3 basketball and this is a pretty darn decent roster. We got length, toughness, handles, and shooters.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Confused Britney Spears GIF

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Van Lith will likely get an Olympic medal before Clark and Bueckers. Who had that on their bingo card??
To switch sit-down games and include @TheFarmFan -- Add in the roles reversals of the Samuelsson sisters and your point and those are two wild cards.

However, I'm still not so sure of these 3x3 roster decisions. I'm fine with Ms. Brink and Howard, but both Burdick and Van Lith? Would've felt more comfortable if the committee split the difference and had one more (very) proven performer in multiple areas, whether that be professional or international fields.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
So, with Cameron Brink now out with the ACL (heal quickly, Cameron), who will take her place?
@Moose supplied this list earlier.

For 3 x 3, the Olympic team needs to consist of 2 players ranked in the top 10 for their country. For the USA the top 10 are:
1. Arica Carter
2. Camille Zimmerman
3. Cierra Burdick
4. Blake Dietrick
5. Hailey Van Lith
6. Linnae Harper
7. Madison Teonie Christiana Scott
8. Azana Nahimana Baines
9. Caroline Littlefield
10. Lucy Anne Olsen
Given this list, and that Van Lith does seem to do well in 3x3, it doesn't seem super controversial that Van Lith makes the team over those 8 other players. The remaining 2 players (Brink and Howard) were selected from the pool of the other players ranked in the top 50.

So, the U.S. still has its Top Ten and the replacement has to have some recent 3x3 experience.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Cohen: "For what it's worth, if the USA 3x3 team were to have to replace one of the current four, it could be any US player who's played an official 3x3 tournament in the last 18 months. Current group has three of USA's top-10 ranked players, and by rule they only need two from the top 10."

Names bandied about: Dearica Hamby, Allisha Gray, Katie Lou Samuelsson (which could be poetic justice given what happened in 2021).

U.S. traditionally has gone with one tall player (Dolson, Brink). Wonder if that points to Hamby, who played well last time out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Cohen: "For what it's worth, if the USA 3x3 team were to have to replace one of the current four, it could be any US player who's played an official 3x3 tournament in the last 18 months. Current group has three of USA's top-10 ranked players, and by rule they only need two from the top 10."

Names bandied about: Dearica Hamby, Allisha Gray, Katie Lou Samuelsson (which could be poetic justice given what happened in 2021).

U.S. traditionally has gone with one tall player (Dolson, Brink). Wonder if that points to Hamby, who played well last time out.
I think Hamby makes the most sense in this situation. Brink's mix of height and athleticism will be hard to match but Hamby is pretty comparable.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I'm sure there is someone already lined up. Does anyone know who it is?

Actually, thinking outside the box, Angel Reese might be the best replacement. She is leading the WNBA in offensive rebounds, top five rebounder overall. Not sure who else is available. Steph Dolson, Kiah Stokes?

Reaction Score
So, with Cameron Brink now out with the ACL (heal quickly, Cameron), who will take her place?
@Moose supplied this list earlier.

For 3 x 3, the Olympic team needs to consist of 2 players ranked in the top 10 for their country. For the USA the top 10 are:
1. Arica Carter
2. Camille Zimmerman
3. Cierra Burdick
4. Blake Dietrick
5. Hailey Van Lith
6. Linnae Harper
7. Madison Teonie Christiana Scott
8. Azana Nahimana Baines
9. Caroline Littlefield
10. Lucy Anne Olsen
Given this list, and that Van Lith does seem to do well in 3x3, it doesn't seem super controversial that Van Lith makes the team over those 8 other players. The remaining 2 players (Brink and Howard) were selected from the pool of the other players ranked in the top 50.

So, the U.S. still has its Top Ten and the replacement has to have some recent 3x3 experience.
You can search names here to find out if a replacement suggestion has any points or not. Stef Dolson has no points. Hamby and Samuelson have points.

Reaction Score
Howard just rolled her ankle. It looked pretty bad.
No, it didn't look good. Personally, she looks like she's been dealing with something for a while. In other games I've watched this season, she's been slow to get up when she's taken contact sometimes

Reaction Score
They’re probably gonna need a replacement for Howard now too after last night.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
You can search names here to find out if a replacement suggestion has any points or not. Stef Dolson has no points. Hamby and Samuelson have points.
Thanks for this tool. Very helpful. I look for a "Top 50" list, per a post of yours, and couldn't find one.
Given that the U.S.A. 3x3 Selection Committee is looking for one specific player, this took is a godsend.
I'm thinking Hamby, who gives that combination of height and quickness. We'll see soon enough, I suppose.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Dolson was on it last time and won gold. Why not?
@nickp91

Please see the thread on the 3x3 team which explains who can/can't be on the team. Stef Dolson was a gold-medial winner but she hasn't played 3x3 enough recently to qualify for inclusion. Same holds for Clark or Watkins, who really wouldn't replace a center like Brink, anyways.

Gut: Dearica Hamby, who is long, tall and has played a solid 3x3 tournament.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Richard Cohen of HerHoopsStats does a very thorough job of going through the possibilities for the U.S.A. replacing Cameron Brink.
He, too, ultimately sides with Dearica Hamby or Allisha Gray, but mentions other possibilities, including Fever teammates Lexi Hull and Katlie Lou Samuelsson.

Reaction Score
Thanks for this tool. Very helpful. I look for a "Top 50" list, per a post of yours, and couldn't find one.
Given that the U.S.A. 3x3 Selection Committee is looking for one specific player, this took is a godsend.
I'm thinking Hamby, who gives that combination of height and quickness. We'll see soon enough, I suppose.
Yes, I made the top 10 list for going through this and pulling out the top 10 USA names (I could have made an error). I am not doing that for the top 50, though... Maybe someone can write a script to scrape the data from the site and then filter for country == USA. Sorry, I am also not doing that. Also a bit of a mystery, IMO, that FIBA doesn't provide the data in a better format to determine eligibility, although, then the boneyard would have less of a fundamental role in sleuthing this stuff :cool:

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom