Bulletin board material for Jalen | The Boneyard

Bulletin board material for Jalen

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Ranking college basketball's top 9 point guards: UNC's Joel Berry among the best

Even without my husky blue glasses on he should be on this list. He should be even better this season with more help. I know there has been some talk about taking him off the ball but for this article and based on what he did last season I don't think Norlander doesn't have him as a PG.

I think our crowd has seen their fair share of excellent play at this position over the last 6 years and beyond and know we have something very special in Jalen, but the other pieces need to come into play for him to stand out nationally. I've looked at a couple of draft boards and he doesn't show up there either. Opposing teams planned their entire defense around stopping Jalen and letting the other players beat them. They did that because we didn't really have another good facilitator. Getting the defense up on Jalen clogged up our offense and stopped our best scorer. If AG can balance out that equation I think Jalen can get on any top 9 list for that position.

Reaction Score
I like Cartwright and Farrell but don't think either of them had or will have better years than Adams

Reaction Score
If you're in the AAC it's going to be tough to make many of these lists. Fortunately, NBA scouts are far more diligent than journalists.

That's a great argument, but one you can't really use when they have a different AAC player in this same list (not to mention a different Jaylen Adams who plays for St Bonaventure).

Reaction Score
Give me Shake Milton and Adams over Farrell and Cartwright.

Sexton barely passes, so I wouldn’t really consider him a true PG. Freshman getting ranked so high always seems dumb, but Duval has a loaded supporting cast.

Reaction Score
Give me Shake Milton and Adams over Farrell and Cartwright.

Sexton barely passes, so I wouldn’t really consider him a true PG. Freshman getting ranked so high always seems dumb, but Duval has a loaded supporting cast.

Milton is a shooting guard playing point guard. Farrell is a true legit point guard and one of the best in the country but I'd take Jalen over all of them.

Reaction Score
Anyone that thinks it's a dumb list needs to compare those guys' turnover and shooting numbers to Adams'. He's got the assist numbers and volume scoring, but he needs to play better in the other areas of a PG's game that contribute to winning.

Berry - TO % 16%, 2PT% 47%, 3PT% 38%
Brunson - 17%, 62%, 38%
Jay Adams - 19%, 49%, 36%
Graham - 16%, 50%, 39%
Shamet - 13%, 51%, 44%
Cartwright - 22%, 43%, 39%
Duval - Freshman
Farrell - 19%, 47%, 42%
Sexton - Freshman

Jalen Adams - 21%, 44%, 36%

Cartwright is the only guy that Adams has beat in 2/3 categories, but Cartwright was even better at creating for teammates -- of course he had more talent to pass to. Graham played in a much more limited role, so his numbers are a bit inflated, I expect them to regress a bit. I'd take Adams over those 2 and put him on the list, but it's not a ridiculous list by any means.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There's another Jalen Adams? Perhaps some confusion on the writer's part.

Reaction Score
There's another Jalen Adams? Perhaps some confusion on the writer's part.
Matt Norlander lives in CT and I think is a CT native so he's well aware of who Jalen Adams is. There is zero chance he mixed up the 2.

Reaction Score
Anyone that thinks it's a dumb list needs to compare those guys' turnover and shooting numbers to Adams'. He's got the assist numbers and volume scoring, but he needs to play better in the other areas of a PG's game that contribute to winning.

Brunson - 17%, 62%, 38%
Graham - 16%, 50%, 39%
Shamet - 13%, 51%, 44%
Duval - Freshman
Farrell - 19%, 47%, 42%
Sexton - Freshman

Cartwright is the only guy that Adams has beat in 2/3 categories, but Cartwright was even better at creating for teammates -- of course he had more talent to pass to. Graham played in a much more limited role, so his numbers are a bit inflated, I expect them to regress a bit. I'd take Adams over those 2 and put him on the list, but it's not a ridiculous list by any means.

Adams out scored, out rebounded and out assisted almost everyone on this list on a per game basis (the main exception being the other JAdams.)

The argument that will then be made is that his totals were higher because his minutes were higher, which is true but only half the story. Because his minutes were higher he was often playing to the point of exhaustion which is why his percentages are lower. You can't have it both ways. If he played less minutes his per games would be lower but his percentages would be higher.

In either event there is no PG in the nation that is demonstrably better than Jalen Adams and leaving him off the list was ridiculous.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
These lists mean absolute bullspit
I can't recall but I highly doubt Bazz was on any top 10 list and Kemba wasn't even ranked in the top 3 PGs in the BE in 2011
Is he top 10 PG? I don't know BUT I do know he is most likely one of the top 3 in relation to overall skill level.
I pay zero attention to these lists - especially if they contain kids who haven't stepped on a college court
I have a feeling, barring injury, JA will have a banner year.

Reaction Score
Adams out scored, out rebounded and out assisted almost everyone on this list on a per game basis (the main exception being the other JAdams.)

The argument that will then be made is that his totals were higher because his minutes were higher, which is true but only half the story. Because his minutes were higher he was often playing to the point of exhaustion which is why his percentages are lower. You can't have it both ways. If he played less minutes his per games would be lower but his percentages would be higher.

In either event there is no PG in the nation that is demonstrably better than Jalen Adams and leaving him off the list was ridiculous.

I started typing out the minutes rebuttal before finishing your post, good prediction lol. But your exhaustion retort is a crutch argument; we know for sure that per game stats are less reliable for projecting forward than per possession numbers, and arguing differently on a per case basis is a fool's errand of hypotheticals. Usage will be a big factor in efficiency, but his usage wasn't actually that high (and it should be noted he only averaged 14pts per game, not something like 20). and in the end you should use better metrics when possible.

His passing numbers were great, but his scoring (context blind) was barely average and rebounding is more or less irrelevant for a PG in this discussion (unless it's truly otherworldly).

These lists mean absolute bullspit
I can't recall but I highly doubt Bazz was on any top 10 list and Kemba wasn't even ranked in the top 3 PGs in the BE in 2011

Shabazz was #4 PG on Bleacher Report, and #20 overall (around #7 PG) on CBS.

Reaction Score

Brunson - 17%, 62%, 38%
Graham - 16%, 50%, 39%
Shamet - 13%, 51%, 44%
Duval - Freshman
Farrell - 19%, 47%, 42%
Sexton - Freshman

You do a nice job of walking us through how he came to that conclusion, but it's still a really bad list. Some level of projection clearly factored into the list, otherwise the two freshman wouldn't have been on there (Duval I can understand, Sexton is a real stretch). Adams isn't some run-of-the-mill point guard who had a nice year. He's a five star recruit who's tracked the same way as Kemba and Shabazz before him.

There are a lot of other questions about the roster heading into this season, and the program in general is in flux. You can't blame anybody who tuned out on us last year given how bad we were. As a whole, we have a lot to prove, and this certainly isn't going to be one of those off-seasons where I spend a lot of time griping about being snubbed from these preseason lists. But this is the one exception. Jalen Adams is really good and anybody who watched him play - especially against Houston and Cincinnati in the conference tournament - knows that. I said I'd take him over not just any point guard in the country (Brunson is the one that makes me pause), but any player. That's an extreme position that is directly related to me being a UConn fan, but if you write for CBS and you have guys like Farrell and Graham and Cartwright ahead of him, you're not doing your job. This is shades of Aaron Craft over Shabazz.

Reaction Score
I like Jaylen Adams.
Same that backcourt with Matt Mobley (ex CCSU star) will be a force in the A10. Think the Bonnies have a decent chance at getting into the postseason, although the big dance is probably out of their reach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom