Bueckers named BIG East freshman of the week.......again. | The Boneyard

Bueckers named BIG East freshman of the week.......again.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Women's Basketball 12/21/2020 11:45:00 AM
NEW YORK – For the second straight week, UConn women's basketball guard Paige Bueckers was named the BIG EAST Freshman of the Week Monday.

Bueckers sparked the third-ranked Huskies to a 3-0 week in BIG EAST play, averaging 18.3 points, 6.3 assists, 5.0 rebounds and .595 shooting. The rookie guard opened the week with 25 points, four boards and five assists in a win at Seton Hall on Tuesday, followed by an 11-point, seven-rebound, five-assist outing in Thursday's victory over Creighton.

Familiar faces claim BIG EAST wbb weekly awards - Christyn Williams made the honor roll.

Last edited:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Just call it the Bueckers Award.

Like the rest of UConn nation, I am overjoyed at the prospect of her in a UConn uniform for the next four years. Better than advertised, which is remarkable given the buildup.

I am particularly looking forward to how she meshes with Evina, this year and hopefully next.

From watching the first four games, I can see that they are complementary pieces.

If you were to graph Paige`s movements on the court, you would see a lot of bending, curling movements, circles, zig zags, stop starts, weaves. Evina`s graph would look much different. Angled, straight lines, point A to point B, efficient, direct.

Evina seems very organized - her playing in Warlick`s non-system must have been torture - and it is clear she was paying attention during her "sit out" year, as she knows where to be at all times.

One is spectacular, the other precise. One is rolling sevens, while the other is counting cards at the blackjack table. An entrepeneur and an Executive Vice President. We need them both.

But this is Paige`s team and she is just getting acclimated, by March she will be playing at a whole different level. And where she is right now is pretty amazing.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As I said last week, the first freshman to win the BE FOW award, other than Paige, is likely to be Azzi....... :cool:
Um, I think you want to restate your premise...Big East Freshman of the Week award and the phrase "first freshmen to win" seem to be incongruous. "First" already happened so I am confused by what you are saying.

I do think Aaliyah will win the award at some point this season...Next year, Azzi may well be the first UConn player to win the FOW for the 2021-22 season...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Um, I think you want to restate your premise...Big East Freshman of the Week award and the phrase "first freshmen to win" seem to be incongruous. "First" already happened so I am confused by what you are saying.

I do think Aaliyah will win the award at some point this season...Next year, Azzi may well be the first UConn player to win the FOW for the 2021-22 season...
OK. How about the next freshman to win after Paige will be Azzi......

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Man, you are one tough grader, you can't even throw Aaliyah a "bone" as a BoneYarder to say she might win earn the award once this year? See what I did there? ;)
If Aaliyah wins FOW this year it will likely be Paige throwing her a bone, or more precisely, dropping a handful of “dimes” in Aaliyah’s direction.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Going back a few years, Rebecca was the Big East Freshman of the Week a then-record 7 times. Sixteen years later, we had a freshman who was a consensus 1st Team All-American. Maya Moore was the Big East Freshman of the Week a record 10 times. I'm pretty sure that record still stands. At the end of the season, Maya was named the Big East Freshman of the Year AND Big East Player of the Year, beating out Angel McCoughtry for the latter award. She was really, really, really, really good.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Just call it the Bueckers Award.

Like the rest of UConn nation, I am overjoyed at the prospect of her in a UConn uniform for the next four years. Better than advertised, which is remarkable given the buildup.

I am particularly looking forward to how she meshes with Evina, this year and hopefully next.

From watching the first four games, I can see that they are complementary pieces.

If you were to graph Paige`s movements on the court, you would see a lot of bending, curling movements, circles, zig zags, stop starts, weaves. Evina`s graph would look much different. Angular, straight lines, point A to point B, efficient, direct.

Evina seems very organized - her playing in Warlick`s non-system must have been torture - and it is clear she was paying attention during her "sit out" year, as she knows where to be at all times.

One is spectacular, the other precise. One is rolling sevens, while the other is counting cards at the blackjack table. An entrepeneur and an Executive Vice President. We need them both.

But this is Paige`s team and she is just getting acclimated, by March she will be playing at a whole different level. And where she is right now is pretty amazing.
Agree totally on both players. . As I said in another thread, I would describe Evina as a “quiet player”, meaning she isn’t flashy, she just does all the right things without wasted motion and I suspect will be scoring more. She’s missed two years, and now is surrounded by top notch talent and coaching. She looks like a perfect piece to this team.

Reaction Score
Lol. BE Freshman of the week. If Geno let her have the reigns, she would be player of the week most times.

Reaction Score
I prefer Subway....and I do think Aaliyah has a legitimate opportunity to earn one or more FOW awards.
I do believe Edwards can earn her first FoW award versus Baylor - particularly with strength on the defensive end turning into fast breaks on the offensive end.

However, it will be shared with Bueckers as co-Freshmen of the week, to continue Buecker's streak of consecutive awards....

Reaction Score
I would bet that a non-Uconn player will win this award sometime this year because even Paige would have a bad game once in a while as she did in high school.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Agree totally on both players. . As I said in another thread, I would describe Evina as a “quiet player”, meaning she isn’t flashy, she just does all the right things without wasted motion and I suspect will be scoring more. She’s missed two years, and now is surrounded by top notch talent and coaching. She looks like a perfect piece to this team.
While I am in agreement I have been using the word smooth, I think it says so much about all she does, and it's starting to look effortless.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Lol. BE Freshman of the week. If Geno let her have the reigns, she would be player of the week most times.
If Paige were player of the week, would they give Frosh of the week to someone else?

Reaction Score
Women's Basketball 12/21/2020 11:45:00 AM
NEW YORK – For the second straight week, UConn women's basketball guard Paige Bueckers was named the BIG EAST Freshman of the Week Monday.

Bueckers sparked the third-ranked Huskies to a 3-0 week in BIG EAST play, averaging 18.3 points, 6.3 assists, 5.0 rebounds and .595 shooting. The rookie guard opened the week with 25 points, four boards and five assists in a win at Seton Hall on Tuesday, followed by an 11-point, seven-rebound, five-assist outing in Thursday's victory over Creighton.

Has any women won Freshman of the Week every week a year in any conference?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Has any women won Freshman of the Week every week a year in any conference?
Doubtful, but I can't answer that definitively. The best freshman I've seen over 25-30 years was Maya Moore. She won the BE FOY 10 times. I'm guessing there were about 14 awards (weeks) per season.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Doubtful, but I can't answer that definitively. The best freshman I've seen over 25-30 years was Maya Moore. She won the BE FOY 10 times. I'm guessing there were about 14 awards (weeks) per season.

The BE was very strong during Maya's era especially. Now, winning FOW every week is as much Paige as the conference we are in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom