OT: - Bucks fire Adrian Griffin | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Bucks fire Adrian Griffin

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Who woulda thought trading Jrue for Dame would have such a drastic impact on your defense? Not sure how a coach can fix that?

Assuming everything is squeaky clean behind the scenes, and this is only the bucks veterans using him as a scapegoat, UConn assistant coach Adrian Griffin sounds good.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Who woulda thought trading Jrue for Dame would have such a drastic impact on your defense?
Good job by Brad Stevens. Strengthen your own team while weakening a key opponent.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I would have kept him. I thought he was a great coach. Giannis getting hurt messed up that series. They might have lost it anyway but once it got away from them there was nothing to be done.

Word is Griffin never really had the locker room. And with the team (mostly Giannis) complaining about the D all of the time - I don't think they had a choice. 30-13 and this team should be better than that.

The bigger issue being - they can't win a title without a change - and you need time to fix it. So you had to move now or it would be too late. They are all in.
The guy who takes his rest on the defense side of the ball 75% of the time?

Reaction Score
Who woulda thought trading Jrue for Dame would have such a drastic impact on your defense? Not sure how a coach can fix that?

Assuming everything is squeaky clean behind the scenes, and this is only the bucks veterans using him as a scapegoat, UConn assistant coach Adrian Griffin sounds good.

The entire approach is different. Of course there would be a drop-off even if Bud was still the coach, but it wouldn't be like this.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And his daughter plays at UConn
She's out for the season. I can't remember if she has another year of eligibility, or not. She was a fun kid to watch as she was amazingly athletic and made a lot of great hustle plays. Decent outside shot, but she looked terrific when she took it to the hoop.

Reaction Score
Superstars writing up their own plays from the bench, refusing to change the D scheme to fit the players, obvious relationship issues with players and other coaching staff combined with a record that looks great at the top until you look at how close every game has been. They've been down in the 4th quarter for seemingly half their wins and they've lost or played soooo poorly against sub par competition.

Firing Bud was a terrible decision, firing Griffin made sense. Get it together so they can still go all the way this year and not waste all the talent they have.

Reaction Score
Bucks fan friend said roughly that Griffin prioritized super aggressive defense that causes turnovers (probably why he liked Andre so much), but the Bucks don’t have the personnel for that so it doesn’t work and end up giving up a lot of paint looks despite having Giannis and Brook Lopez down there

Too stubborn to change playstyle to match the players, guys lost trust, and lost interest playing hard for him. Friend thinks their good record is just a matter of out-talenting everyone else

Reaction Score
NBA is a superstar league. Giannis/Dame weren't buying the AG view. Case closed. Could tell by watching their body language during huddles/timeouts with AG that something was up.

Reaction Score
I read that they are still paying Bud's remaining salary on his contract and now they let Griffin go 4 months into a 4 year contract. They'll be actively paying 3 head coaches salaries once they have a replacement. Wild.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Not at the moment.
How was that relevant when Andre was picked up by the Bucks? Or are you suggesting that the her playing at UConn was a contributor to Andre getting minutes? Honest question.

Reaction Score
Being reported on the TNT NBA broadcast that Doc is accepting the job, gonna be interesting how many of the younger guys he's going to play

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
How was that relevant when Andre was picked up by the Bucks? Or are you suggesting that the her playing at UConn was a contributor to Andre getting minutes? Honest question.
Probably only saying that Aubrey Griffin is injured and out for the rest of the season .

Reaction Score
Being reported on the TNT NBA broadcast that Doc is accepting the job, gonna be interesting how many of the younger guys he's going to play
Article I posted suggests that a bad defensive strategy that pulled Giannis, Brook Lopez, and Bobby Portis away from defending the paint, and not consistently playing younger guys that could've helped shore up their on ball defense issues were reasons for the firing.

Also Doc worked for the bucks as a consultant earlier in the year so he's aware of the issues and may know that playing young guys like Dre is part of the solution.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Edward wrote that AG's daughter plays for UConn. Being that she is hurt, I clarified that she wasn't at the moment. :(

Reaction Score
She's out for the season. I can't remember if she has another year of eligibility, or not. She was a fun kid to watch as she was amazingly athletic and made a lot of great hustle plays. Decent outside shot, but she looked terrific when she took it to the hoop.
She has another year left

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
My only point is that AG has several connections to UConn BB one being his daughter is a currently injured member of UConn WBB

Reaction Score
Article I posted suggests that a bad defensive strategy that pulled Giannis, Brook Lopez, and Bobby Portis away from defending the paint, and not consistently playing younger guys that could've helped shore up their on ball defense issues were reasons for the firing.

Also Doc worked for the bucks as a consultant earlier in the year so he's aware of the issues and may know that playing young guys like Dre is part of the solution.

This makes sense. Doc has been at an abnormally high number of Marquette games this year and I thought it was odd. Now I know why he's been in town so much!

Reaction Score
Doc has been an "informal" consultant to Buck's GM/AG for part of this season. He's certainly familiar with the roster and what Andre can/can't do and how to utilize his skill set. As to whether he prefers to not to play rookies-I can't say. But he is aware of Andre's talents by virtue of his input/observations with Horst/Griffin over the course of this season prior to him being hired.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom