Buckeyes in TCU out | The Boneyard

Buckeyes in TCU out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's the right choice. Tcu wasn't number three to begin with.

Reaction Score
It's the right choice. Tcu wasn't number three to begin with.

Except they were, and had a better weekend than FSU who was #4. How does that make any sense at all?

Reaction Score
Except they were, and had a better weekend than FSU who was #4. How does that make any sense at all?

How do you figure that? FSU beat the #11 team in a CG, a team that beat the #9 team (an SEC team) the week before. TCU beat a 2-10 team. You really comparing the two?

The Committee Chair was pretty clear. Playing and winning a 13th game against a top opponent, and playing a strong OOC schedule, were important criteria. TCU could not measure up to FSU in either criteria - I think we can all agree on that.

FWIW, the Big12 needs to get a CG, IMO. Their Commissioner pretty my alluded to this when interviewed this afternoon.

Reaction Score
In football culture, it's an unwritten rule that you have to include the defending champion in the playoff if they go undefeated the following year.

Reaction Score
I agree with what bc said but want to add I didn't think they were a number three team based not the fact Baylor is better and would be considered the conference champs based on the head to head competition.
well I agree with what bc said about Florida state first of all having a better weekend
Second indent think tcu is even the best team in the conference. Baylor would be conference champs based on head to head.

What did bowlsby say that alluded to a ccg.

Reaction Score
I agree with what bc said but want to add I didn't think they were a number three team based not the fact Baylor is better and would be considered the conference champs based on the head to head competition.

well I agree with what bc said about Florida state first of all having a better weekend
Second indent think tcu is even the best team in the conference. Baylor would be conference champs based on head to head.

What did bowlsby say that alluded to a ccg.

In an ESPN interview after the selections were announced, he commented that it appeared the B12 was at a disadvantage this year due to not having a CCG and that the member schools may have to have to reconsider the current B12 FB model.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It's the right call. There are 4 conference champions in the Top 4. All true champions decided on the field. I don't think you'd get a 2/3 majority from B12 fans if you polled them as to who is the best team in their conference. Ohio State DISMANTLED a very good Wisconsin team in the CCG...with a 3rd string QB. Exactly what they had to do to crack the Top 4.

This should get the folks within the B12 to add at least 2 schools to create a CCG like the others. Most likely Cincinnati and UCF.

Reaction Score
The real lesson here is to schedule patsies outside the conference, because TCU and Baylor were in it because of a very weak OOC schedule, and Ohio State's was pretty bad as well. FSU is in a relatively easier conference, but they schedule well outside it.

Reaction Score
I don't think TCU and Baylor needed the powder puff OOC this year and they would have mopped up most of the ACC as well. In that sense they screwed up. The committee maneuvered teams where they wanted them down the line this past week to send teams where they wanted to go and maximize revenue. Or it was just a coincidence that all previous weeks metrics meant zippo.

Reaction Score
I don't think TCU and Baylor needed the powder puff OOC this year and they would have mopped up most of the ACC as well. In that sense they screwed up. The committee maneuvered teams where they wanted them down the line this past week to send teams where they wanted to go and maximize revenue. Or it was just a coincidence that all previous weeks metrics meant zippo.

The problem here is that you are attributing to the Committee a methodology that they specifically said they we're not going to follow. All along they have said as each week passes, the Committee would reassess their criteria as part of the process.

Now, at the very end of the season, they had three teams who were the undisputed champions of their respective conferences. Each had to risk the uncertainties of a 13th game to play a top, ranked opponent in a real CG.

TCU and Baylor only had to play 12 games. No conference championship. In the caese of TCU, they closed the season playing a 2-10 team! Hard to match that game up against the ACC, SEC, PAC, or BiG CCG's! In the case of Baylor, some felt their body of work was less than TCU's. But Baylor BEAT TCU on the field. So the B12 presents both teams as co-champions? Just who would the Committee have selected anyways??

As others have said, and what the B12 Commissioner alluded to today, the B12 is going to have to take a hard look at their current model as, IMO, they were not well served by it this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom