BTW, UConn is a damn good school too! | The Boneyard

BTW, UConn is a damn good school too!

Reaction Score
Take a look at the WSJ's 2024 list of the country's best colleges.

UConn rates #46 overall. That superior academic conference, the ACC, sported the following rankings:

Syracuse #144 - all the bluster and BS didn't fool anybody.
LV #324 - it's in a different solar system.
Pitt #307 - challenging LV...
SMU #175 - better than many of the schools it will be subsidizing.
Cal-Berkeley #81 (another subsidizer) - Sadly, the whole area is rapidly becoming a S-hole.

There are three ACC schools ahead of us - Stanford #4 (another subsidizer), Duke #16, and ND #32 ("an only when it suits them" member). (We are tied with BC for rating points but it's listed at #45)
(If you want to make yourself mad, compare the AAU schools on the list to UConn.)

Reaction Score
Is there a non paywall version? I am on Apple News, but it isnt working to get the data. Just the article .

Reaction Score
Is there a non paywall version? I am on Apple News, but it isnt working to get the data. Just the article .
Just google "WSJ college rankings 2024 reddit". The rankings are there (BYU over John Hopkins), but I didn't see criteria.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Take a look at the WSJ's 2024 list of the country's best colleges.

UConn rates #46 overall. That superior academic conference, the ACC, sported the following rankings:

Syracuse #144 - all the bluster and BS didn't fool anybody.
LV #324 - it's in a different solar system.
Pitt #307 - challenging LV...
SMU #175 - better than many of the schools it will be subsidizing.
Cal-Berkeley #81 (another subsidizer) - Sadly, the whole area is rapidly becoming a S-hole.

There are three ACC schools ahead of us - Stanford #4 (another subsidizer), Duke #16, and ND #32 ("an only when it suits them" member). (We are tied with BC for rating points but it's listed at #45)
(If you want to make yourself mad, compare the AAU schools on the list to UConn.)

Louisville is a burning dumpster of dirty diapers of a college, so even #324 seems kind of generous. Syracuse is a gigantic waste of money that may not exist in 20 years, so they seem overrated at 144. Pitt deserves a little more love than that.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
I read UConn is ranked higher than Brown University…won’t help get AAU, but it’s a satisfying to know we’re not a bunch of dumb@$$&$.

Reaction Score
I wonder...various ratings bend different ways....FIU is the #4 Best Public University ? Naw.
As you might expect from the WSJ, the rating is heavily based on "Student Outcomes" (70%).
This includes, graduation rates, cost of attendance, debt burden, job opportunities and financial success thereafter.
20% is categorized as learning environment, strength of curriculum etc. 10% is based on diversity. These rating criteria are at least as valid as other rating systems I have seen.

Regarding FIU, I just don't know enough about it. But if the WSJ is using the same criteria for all, they must have seen something.

Reaction Score
Louisville is a burning dumpster of dirty diapers of a college, so even #324 seems kind of generous. Syracuse is a gigantic waste of money that may not exist in 20 years, so they seem overrated at 144. Pitt deserves a little more love than that.
I have had the same impression re: Syracuse for decades. I always knew LV was a joke and it was rated where I expected. Regarding Pitt, I too was surprised, but I don't have any information to counter the WSJ's rating. The point of this is that you just have to snicker any time the ACC starts touting its academic prowess. Stanford helps a lot, but the dregs still hold court...

Reaction Score
I have had the same impression re: Syracuse for decades. I always knew LV was a joke and it was rated where I expected. Regarding Pitt, I too was surprised, but I don't have any information to counter the WSJ's rating. The point of this is that you just have to snicker any time the ACC starts touting its academic prowess. Stanford helps a lot, but the dregs still hold court...
Louisville is the only counter you'll ever need in regards to ACC academics. We chase football dollars just like the rest of them (save the Ivies).

Reaction Score
Confirmation bias is running rampant in this thread. With a bit of effort, one can find a poll which agrees with almost any point of view.

Reaction Score
Confirmation bias is running rampant in this thread. With a bit of effort, one can find a poll which agrees with almost any point of view.
Have you read anything about the criteria used? Have you looked at the list? There's more to it than "confirmation bias".

Reaction Score
Just google "WSJ college rankings 2024 reddit". The rankings are there (BYU over John Hopkins), but I didn't see criteria.

Happy for UConn but the ratings were very uh interesting.

Reaction Score
Given where UConn was ranked, I thought that they were intelligent, accurate and thought provoking.

Not going to argue about it. But there wasn’t much variation between where UConn was ranked in this one vs. other rankings. Which I would say is a good thing.

UVA 87

Johns Hopkins 99

Tufts 287

UChicago 37!

Floriduh over Duke

BYU over Hopkins

Must be some interesting criteria.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not going to argue about it. But there wasn’t much variation between where UConn was ranked in this one vs. other rankings. Which I would say is a good thing.

UVA 87

Johns Hopkins 99

Tufts 287

UChicago 37!

Floriduh over Duke

BYU over Hopkins

Must be some interesting criteria.
Yeah my comment was tongue in cheek. I don't care about it one way or the other, other than I always appreciate good news about the University.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I read the criteria. My point is that different criteria, like those employed by USN&WR or various others, would result in entirely different pecking orders. Touting the particular list that reinforces one's loyalties or preconceived notions of worth (and maybe their butthurt or contempt re: certain rivals) is a reflection of confirmation bias.

How about a list of schools whose dropouts (guys like Gates, Musk, Jobs, Zuckerberg, etc.) have succeeded in starting multi-billion-dollar enterprises? I suspect that Harvard and Stanford would top such a list, but maybe not. What other schools might make the cut?

Reaction Score
Yeah, I read the criteria. My point is that different criteria, like those employed by USN&WR or various others, would result in entirely different pecking orders. Touting the particular list that reinforces one's loyalties or preconceived notions of worth (and maybe their butthurt or contempt re: certain rivals) is a reflection of confirmation bias.

How about a list of schools whose dropouts (guys like Gates, Musk, Jobs, Zuckerberg, etc.) have succeeded in starting multi-billion-dollar enterprises? I suspect that Harvard and Stanford would top such a list, but maybe not. What other schools might make the cut?
I guess confirmation bias may apply to my feelings about Syracuse always being over rated and LV being pure guano. That is undeniable - so trolls take notice!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Have you read anything about the criteria used? Have you looked at the list? There's more to it than "confirmation bias".
Why engage? It’s just shade from a troll.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As you might expect from the WSJ, the rating is heavily based on "Student Outcomes" (70%).
This includes, graduation rates, cost of attendance, debt burden, job opportunities and financial success thereafter.
20% is categorized as learning environment, strength of curriculum etc. 10% is based on diversity. These rating criteria are at least as valid as other rating systems I have seen.

Regarding FIU, I just don't know enough about it. But if the WSJ is using the same criteria for all, they must have seen something.

I take all these ranking with several grains of salt. That being said, those are some pretty good metrics to measure the quality of an education in terms of ROI.

Reaction Score
I take all these ranking with several grains of salt. That being said, those are some pretty good metrics to measure the quality of an education in terms of ROI.
Yeah - when the cost of attendance exceeded $80k/year, it's past time to consider ROI.

Reaction Score
Louisville is the only counter you'll ever need in regards to ACC academics. We chase football dollars just like the rest of them (save the Ivies).
The Ivies still compete with the best in hockey and lacrosse. Most everything else is second tier. Even in hockey and lacrosse not all Ivies field teams. (no hockey for Penn and Columbia and no lacrosse for Columbia) They have different aspirations and don't need the money.

UConn, however, clearly needs the money. So the quest continues. But, it is definitely a boost for us to do well in the WSJ ratings. Ultimately, parents and students are looking at ratings and realizing that schools like Syracuse are simply not a good value compared to UConn. That's serving us well. (and pissing off all things orange).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom