BTN strikes deal w/Time Warner & Cablevision | Page 3 | The Boneyard

BTN strikes deal w/Time Warner & Cablevision

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
@frankthetank I honestly don't believe you do it on purpose or with any malicious intent, but I think as a collective fan base, were just tired of opposing fans giving us their dose if reality and outsider perspective.

I don't get why he posts here. He doesn't think UCONN is a player in CR but he is here to douse out any flicker of optimism that appears.

Reaction Score
sdhusky said:
I don't get why he posts here. He doesn't think UCONN is a player in CR but he is here to douse out any flicker of optimism that appears.

If you were a fan of a useless program like Illinois what else is there to talk about?

Reaction Score
Why don't we wait for the deal to actually be signed before we go into full lemming mode or the usual suspects go into 'gleefully pick over UConn's bones' mode?

If you didn't think the BTN would get carriage in New Jersey, I'm not sure what to tell you.

I'm curious to see what the carriage actually is in New York and Connecticut.

This ^. Getting the BTN in NJ was a given from the day Rutgers was admitted. That doesn't mean that the BTN will get automatic coverage in the rest of the NY DMA just because it's available on the other side of the GWB. More importantly, it is far from a given that it will receive in league carriage rates north and east of Bergen County. No one, not even the self proclaimed experts seems to know the real terms of the deal so we should wait and see. They may actually work to UConn's advantage.

Reaction Score

There are people on the SU board that wonder why you post there? Both answers are probably.... Because you both can.. Just saying.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
There are people on the SU board that wonder why you post there? Both answers are probably.... Because you both can.. Just saying.

I lived in Syracuse during the Sherm Douglas years and was a fan of his. UCONN didn't play big boy football and Coach Mac had some teams that I actually rooted for.

I have a connection with SU that goes back 30 years. I've probably watched more SU football and BB games than any other program outside UCONN.

What's frank's connection to UCONN?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I love the bottom of the original article.

Boxscore: Louisville 91 Rutgers 32.

Fitting.

Reaction Score
I lived in Syracuse during the Sherm Douglas years and was a fan of his. UCONN didn't play big boy football and Coach Mac had some teams that I actually rooted for.

I have a connection with SU that goes back 30 years. I've probably watched more SU football and BB games than any other program outside UCONN.

What's frank's connection to UCONN?

Nice back story. Wonder if su fans care. I am of the opinion that this board draws a ton of outsiders that revel in our misery. Frank seems to like needling us..... Sometimes i wish the,moderators were qicker to ban people but most times im,not. Im banned on the su board for no known reason.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So, has there been confirmation that this is just in Jersey, in NYC or even extending into CT?

I really don't understand how this all works - if it's just Jersey for now then we're ok but if this is the full NYC dma... ugh.

I forget where, but I remember reading that Fairfield County constituted just 10% of the homes in the NYC DMA. Connecticut politicians end up wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars each election cycle because in order to reach Fairfield County homes via TV advertising, you have to pay to show your ads to the other 90%, too.

Granted, on average, it's a generally wealthy 10%, but it's about 10% nonetheless.

I think our value to a TV number-cruncher is that our fan base includes an untapped Top 30 market, 10% of the nation's largest TV market, plus slivers in Boston and Providence. Plus, we win stuff, too.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
This ^. Getting the BTN in NJ was a given from the day Rutgers was admitted. That doesn't mean that the BTN will get automatic coverage in the rest of the NY DMA just because it's available on the other side of the GWB. More importantly, it is far from a given that it will receive in league carriage rates north and east of Bergen County. No one, not even the self proclaimed experts seems to know the real terms of the deal so we should wait and see. They may actually work to UConn's advantage.

Even moreso - the question was never really whether or not there would be BTN on NY/NJ cable systems - the bigger question has always been how much they'll pay to get it. Will it be "in market" pricing, or something between their normal in/out market?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Frank's fine. He just doesn't agree with the consensus opinions here. He has a right to be wrong ;), but brings a lot to the discussion, unlike some others I could name.

Reaction Score
I forget where, but I remember reading that Fairfield County constituted just 10% of the homes in the NYC DMA. Connecticut politicians end up wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars each election cycle because in order to reach Fairfield County homes via TV advertising, you have to pay to show your ads to the other 90%, too.

Granted, on average, it's a generally wealthy 10%, but it's about 10% nonetheless.

I think our value to a TV number-cruncher is that our fan base includes an untapped Top 30 market, 10% of the nation's largest TV market, plus slivers in Boston and Providence. Plus, we win stuff, too.

30%, not 10%.

Reaction Score
What ever programming/Chanel lineup you get on Cablevision in Westchester is the same programming/Channel line-up you get in Fairfield County. The only difference is the News 12 coverage and news team. SNY has been included on the Cablevision channel line-up in Fairfield County since it's inception.

A lineup is one thing. I don't care about that. It's the carriage fees that are different.

Are you telling me that New Yorkers are paying SNY $2.60+ a month because SNY added Uconn?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

I've never purchased tv time in New York but in other markets you are able to geo target to specific area codes. When we buy from comcast in SF DMA they have something like 20 different zones. I'd assume NY is the same

Reaction Score
Actually, I think it might be less than 10%, although I can't find a source for that. Here is a map of it. Even if the NYC DMA included just Fairfield County and the five boroughs, Fairfield County wouldn't represent 30% of the total. Add in New Jersey and the number drops further.

http://www.newportmedia.com/maps/countyinfo.php?m=1

I misread your post. I thought you had written 10% of the TV households in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
I misread your post. I thought you had written 10% of the TV households in Connecticut.

Right, I think that the State itself is cut in half -- half of the population is in Fairfield + New Haven, while the other six counties include the other half.

It's even more stark when you consider that Fairfield, New Haven and Hartford Counties have about the same population (Fairfield is biggest, then Hartford, followed by New Haven). 3/4 of the State's population, more or less, lives in those three counties, while the remaining quarter lives in the other five.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Please don't run off @frankthetank. I enjoy him posting here.

Agreed.

And "Banning" screams "I have no balls." If you don't want to read a poster, ignore him as many seem to do for NelsonM or HFD back in the day. I often find humorous the contrarian views and even nonsensical dribble this place promotes from time to time.

Big Brother banning is for geldings and the otherwise insecure amongst us.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Agreed.

And "Banning" screams "I have no balls." If you don't want to read a poster, ignore him as many seem to do for NelsonM or HFD back in the day. I often find humorous the contrarian views and even nonsensical dribble this place promotes from time to time.

Big Brother banning is for geldings and the otherwise insecure amongst us.

I'm pretty sure most people here aren't insecure about UConn and it's accomplishments.

I'm just sick of condescending view points from fans of inferior programs telling us what we need to do on our own board.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure most people here aren't insecure about UConn and it's accomplishments.

I'm just sick of condescending view points from fans of inferior programs telling us what we need to do on our own board.

There is joe-fan and then there is Frank: a thoughtful, relatively unbiased CR analyst who has collected a wealth of information by being one of the few web beacons who didn't come into his quasi celebrity through wild rumor mongering.

If Frank has to set the expectations floor so be it we have plenty among us to set the ceiling.

Reaction Score
A lineup is one thing. I don't care about that. It's the carriage fees that are different.

Are you telling me that New Yorkers are paying SNY $2.60+ a month because SNY added Uconn?
I have no idea....I actually have Verizon FIOS. I would be interested to see if they jacked up the price for customers in Fairfield County that already had SNY though.

Reaction Score
I have no idea....I actually have Verizon FIOS. I would be interested to see if they jacked up the price for customers in Fairfield County that already had SNY though.

Yes, SNY was added to basic tier in Fairfield Cty and the sob rate jacked up when SNY added UConn. It wasn't on basic before that. All cable systems in Conn. have SNY on basic.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
There is joe-fan and then there is Frank: a thoughtful, relatively unbiased CR analyst who has collected a wealth of information by being one of the few web beacons who didn't come into his quasi celebrity through wild rumor mongering.

If Frank has to set the expectations floor so be it we have plenty among us to set the ceiling.

As if we don't already know what the floor is?

Football being banished to a second division?

Our tv deal paying us 10 percent of our local rivals?

That the ACC will never take us. We're an awful fit for the Big12. The B1G is a pipedream?

Thanks, but I'm good with what the floor entails. I don't need BC, Rutgers, Syracuse, ND, WVU, Oklahoma State and Illinois fans here to remind me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom