Brutal start for Olander | The Boneyard

Brutal start for Olander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Getting totally outworked in the first five minutes on the glass, and a couple terrible turnovers. I was expecting him to be a breakout player this year, and he's certainly been given the minutes. Hopefully he turns it around.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Sad thing is that Nolan made Olander look like he was the number one center in the country. This team lacks a legitimate five and a legitimate four. TO is a decent reserve four but on many UConn teams in the past decade he would be playing scrub minutes. And that is the hand KO has been dealt.

U

UCONNfan1

Sad thing is that Nolan made Olander look like he was the number one center in the country. This team lacks a legitimate five and a legitimate four. TO is a decent reserve four but on many UConn teams in the past decade he would be playing scrub minutes. And that is the hand KO has been dealt.
It appears even on this team Tyler is starting to get scrub minutes. I don't know how many minutes everyone has played but he's probably getting about 10 minutes, and against a community college team, that's not very good. 0 points, 2 assists and 2 turnovers won't earn him any PT against better teams either.

Frankly, i'd rather see Nolan or Wolf in there instead of Olander. He's a good reserve, but not a starter and not deserving of 20 minutes a game. He's a great story though and I'm glad he's on the team. I certainly don't want to bag on the kid as he's a good "local boy" and he gives 100% every second he's out there. But athletically and skill-wise, he's not a starter...

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Olander reminds me of a young, young Gavin Edwards.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
Wolf has gotta be our go to man down there on his height alone. That size is important going forward into Big East opponents. Send Olander in to back him up & hope he can just play within his limits and grab a rebound or 2. Nolan is a project. Right now he's still got that freshman deal going on and needs to get comfortable. In 2 years though, could be real nice.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
TO seems to have a confidence issue right now...if a few plays go his way, I think we will see him get back on track. He will never be a superstar but he should be able to shoot >50% from the field get 2 to 3 assists per game while pulling down 8 rebounds and scoring 6 to 8 ppg?

That being said, I think we still need a Wolf-TO mix at the five with each getting 15-25 minutes depending on matchups and how well they are playing.
Nolan has looked good in stretches but still needs some seasoning before he is ready for big minutes.

Reaction Score
Olander reminds me of a young, young Gavin Edwards.

Like a 12 year old Gavin, Maybe. Olander has no ruggedness down low, but also gives the team almost nothing offensively as well.

Very tough to watch a 6'9" 21 year old get pushed around constantly.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk 2

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
This guy is easily the worst player on the team. He's too soft, his close-out defense is laughable, and his offensive game is weak. Oh, and someone get the guy some pro-activ. Big East is gonna be scary.

Reaction Score
TO has no idea what he is doing. His one play to force himself inside and throw up a prayer. He get nothing out of the flow of the offense.He should have feasted on UMES. Instead he couldn't even establish position.

Wolf seems to understand the concept of the offense and how he fits in it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
In spite of their play I believe all of us in this thread appreciate that TO, EW and Nolan are on the team and trying their best to do something that they were not meant to do.

I know they can sometimes be uncomfortable to watch compared to the junior EO, but I can imagine what this team would have done if these three guys weren't playing for this team (or if I was playing their role). So my criticism of the play was not intended to trash the kids, but to express my understanding of the team with a twofold intent - a realistic expectation of where this team is headed, and how great KO has been at maximizing this team.

Reaction Score
This guy is easily the worst player on the team. He's too soft, his close-out defense is laughable, and his offensive game is weak. Oh, and someone get the guy some pro-activ.
Completely rude, mean, and unnecessary.

Reaction Score
+1 totally agree. All three of our centers are not performing very well. They have their moments but overall they are as a group below average. However that's what we got and hopefully they work hard in practice and get better. Being extremely critical is not helping. Hopefully they don't read the BY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom