Bruce Pearl comments on UConn | The Boneyard

Bruce Pearl comments on UConn

Reaction Score
For all of his skeptics and critics, the reality is this: Bruce Pearl has coached Auburn to the point where it's expected to beat UConn, a program that's won more national championships than any program in the past 25 years. That's who's next. The Huskies face the Tigers on Saturday. Auburn won in OT at UConn last year. Now Tiger fans are expecting a winning streak. That's a commentary on why Pearl was brought to Auburn in the first place. It's messy, it's controversial, but Auburn is relevant and charging into 2018 with optimism not even Pearl could have conjured back in the fall.

"They're not the same UConn team of the past but they've got a great coach and got a couple of great special players -- and size," Pearl said. "UConn's a scary team because they do have some tremendous pieces. They were better with Alterique Gilbert on the floor because he was a great extension of coach (Kevin) Ollie. Right now they're in the process of reinventing themselves. But they've got the pieces, there's no question. What's going to be different about them vs. every team in the SEC is they've got real size, real personnel, and for us there's no margin for error."

And then this:

Shorthanded, overlooked Auburn is 10-1 after its road victory Tuesday night against Murray State. It's no small deal; Murray State's got a good shot to win the OVC and make the NCAA Tournament come March. Auburn was the first SEC program to play at Murray State in two decades. Pearl scheduled the game originally to boost his team's non-conference reputation. It will wind up paying off big-time come March.

"I can't get household names to go to Auburn," he said.

Sheesh, UConn isn't even a household name anymore? What, did we drop off a cliff that quickly?

Bruce Pearl amazingly has Auburn at 10-1 just a few weeks after his job was in danger

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Isn't he part of the FBI investigation in college basketball?

If so, I wouldn't be writing sentences like this: "That's a commentary on why Pearl was brought to Auburn in the first place."

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Isn't he part of the FBI investigation in college basketball?

If so, I wouldn't be writing sentences like this: "That's a commentary on why Pearl was brought to Auburn in the first place."

The only problem that Auburn would have with an FBI investigation is that Pearl got caught.

Reaction Score
Yes we have four national championships and they don’t. That’s awesome. They are however the better program at the moment for many reasons. Sad but true.

Reaction Score
It is all coach speak more or less. He doesn’t want a clunker before he steps up in competition. Good coaching. Most coaches take the same approach.

Reaction Score
Yes we have four national championships and they don’t. That’s awesome. They are however the better program at the moment for many reasons. Sad but true.

There are a lot of programs better than UConn at the moment.

This one though somehow landed a top CT kid out of the blue!! And a year later the FBI came to town to say Hello Bruce.

Sad? Yes, sad.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of programs better than UConn at the moment.

This one though somehow landed a top CT kid out of the blue!! And a year later the FBI came to town to say Hello Bruce.

Sad? Yes, sad.
Mustapha is a great kid and you won’t find any wrong doing there. That’s on us. From what I heard Same can not be said about the other CT kid also playing in the SEC. I actually have to give Ollie credit on that one. He let them know UConn doesn’t do that so people should get off KO back on that kid not being here. Again, from what I heard.

Reaction Score
Mustapha is a great kid and you won’t find any wrong doing there. That’s on us. From what I heard Same can not be said about the other CT kid also playing in the SEC. I actually have to give Ollie credit on that one. He let them know UConn doesn’t do that so people should get off KO back on that kid not being here. Again, from what I heard.
But isn't LSU similar to Georgetown and Stanford in academic standing? Who could turn that down?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

I didn't hear the same thing Heron.

Mine is very much through the grapevine though, I don't have insight sources. I just sometimes work in the AAU circuit.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I imagine you are reading too much into that one sentence.

‘I’ is probably the key word. I imagine the UConn/Auburn series came together at the AD level.

It is also a built in excuse.

I also think he's talking about straight home games rather than home and homes. I don't think they have any problem there.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I didn't take that quote as a diss to UConn, just that he can't get 'others' to play at Auburn. To me no sleight at all.
Agreed. It sounded more like something Boeheim would say to make sure nothing got put up on the bulletin board.

Reaction Score
I thought his analysis of where we are and why we were better with Gilbert was accurate

I found nothing he said to be offensive

Just ran the numbers because I was curious. Here they are:

upload_2017-12-21_17-11-33.png

So, we weren't actually playing much/any better with AG. Level of competition has actually gone down without him but the numbers aren't much different. We are actually averaging more assists without him; turnovers are also up. These are obviously basic stats and not an in depth analysis, but take it for what its worth.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

View attachment 27093

So, we weren't actually playing much/any better with AG. Level of competition has actually gone down without him but the numbers aren't much different. We are actually averaging more assists without him; turnovers are also up. These are obviously basic stats and not an in depth analysis, but take it for what its worth.

3-0, and competing with MSU to competing at a whole lot lower level and getting blown out against the best teams

doesn't take numbers or stats or spin, just takes eyes and a tad bit of basketball IQ

we were better, there is no debate

where do they come from? what were they watching? the blind hate is surreal

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

View attachment 27093

Keep in mind those were the first games with a young team unfamiliar playing with each other. You'd expect those numbers to elevate and stabilize over time.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Bruce Pearl is as shady as Calipari but with the coaching ability of a potato. Got fired from Tennessee for egregious recruiting violations and has had the Auburn job for like a day and the fricking FBI is all over them. How does this scumbag have a job?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom