Brown defense is like the triple option | The Boneyard

Brown defense is like the triple option

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Good opponents will beat it. Give quality teams time to prepare and they can scheme against his aggressive style. Florida offense isn't great, but Mullen is a great offensive schemer.

It's hard to change the DC when they have the statistically best defense, but it's going to be hard to win big games unless Brown figures out how to situationally adjust.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Oh..I will add that it doesn't help that a few UM players sat out to prepare for the draft, but the whole defense was there when they got smoked by OSU.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Aside from Ohio State here and there, I just don't have much faith in Big 10 teams when they go up against SEC teams in these southern bowl games. I really don't have much faith in Big 10 teams when half the roster is injured or sitting out for the draft. When the tracks are clear and easy to navigate through (like they are in a dome), the speed disparity always shows up in favor of the SEC in these bowl games.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Yeah....Purdue was smoked by Auburn. But...I still think a defensive coach who isn't as one dimensional as Brown could figure it out. Especially with the recruiting classes Harbaugh has brought in.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Whether Brown is canned or not and even if it's somewhat easy to prep for his scheme as some insist, he is still better than what UConn has had in past 1/2 dozen years and what they have now
I think that UConn could do worse....

Reaction Score
Get Brown and we might even keep some of the best CT recruits who've been flocking to Michigan and Penn State the last five years.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Oh I would definitely take him back at UConn....but I would guess he thinks he is above UConn now and I am sure UConn couldn't afford him.

Reaction Score
Other than the BCS or CFP games, bowls are entirely about the wanting to be there.

Reaction Score
I read on a Michigan football blog this morning that he interviewed for the temple job
they're restless in ann arbor with his defense against the upper teams. calling for him to be let go

Reaction Score
I read on a Michigan football blog this morning that he interviewed for the temple job
they're restless in ann arbor with his defense against the upper teams. calling for him to be let go

Reaction Score
When Don Brown was DC, I preferred to watch the defense rather than the offense. It was truly exciting to see. I’d take him back in a heartbeat. Losing a game here and there because we gave up a homerun ball is so far ahead of where we are now, it isn’t worth worrying about.

However, Brian Stewart, the guy working for the Lions now, would be awesome too.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I recall people saying that when Brown was at UConn he hated the recruiting process and wanted the rest of the staff to do it. If there is any truth to that he would make for a bad HC hire.

He’s obviously a good DC hire though.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I still just remember that Western Michigan game where they shredded us with short slants because we blitzed so much. I know that there is more good than bad to his defense. I just have that game stuck in my mind everytime I hear his name. The final score wasn't as bad as it was but we were down 24-7 early.

Screenshot_20181230-090003.png

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I still just remember that Western Michigan game where they shredded us with short slants because we blitzed so much. I know that there is more good than bad to his defense. I just have that game stuck in my mind everytime I hear his name. The final score wasn't as bad as it was but we were down 24-7 early.

View attachment 37796
That's what was frustrating with his offense. If it didn't work...it really didn't work. And he didn't seem to adjust.

Again...like the triple option....feast or famine.

Reaction Score
Some of you are impossible to please. Michigan finished with the top rated defense in the FBS this year in fewest yards per game. When Brown was at BC they finished with the top rated defense in the FBS in fewest yards per game. That's a heck of a lot more feast than it is famine.

Michigan's offense certainly played a huge role in their loss yesterday only putting up 13 points and turning it over twice with one pick six. So Michigan's offense by itself scored 13 (2 Michigan points were on a safety) and gave up 7. Good luck winning any games when your offense scores a net 6 points.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some of you are impossible to please. Michigan finished with the top rated defense in the FBS this year in fewest yards per game. When Brown was at BC they finished with the top rated defense in the FBS in fewest yards per game. That's a heck of a lot more feast than it is famine.

Michigan's offense certainly played a huge role in their loss yesterday only putting up 13 points and turning it over twice with one pick six. So Michigan's offense by itself scored 13 (2 Michigan points were on a safety) and gave up 7. Good luck winning any games when your offense scores a net 6 points.

Agreed. Defenses occasionally having bad games, or defenses typcially doing worse against good offenses than bad offenses is not some unique quality of Brown's defense, its just football.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score

If you are at UM, it doesn't matter if you hold Perdue down in points...it matters that you can be competitive against OSU and other important games. By the way, Florida doesn't have a great offense this year. But they have a better defense than Brown....despite what the statistics say.

This isn't UConn or BC where destroying bad teams and getting destroyed by good teams is tolerated. UConn would be lucky to get Brown back....but unless he figures out how to scheme against top teams, he isn't good enough for UM.

Reaction Score
This isn't UConn or BC where destroying bad teams and getting destroyed by good teams is tolerated. UConn would be lucky to get Brown back....but unless he figures out how to scheme against top teams, he isn't good enough for UM.

Sure but its strange to single out Brown for this. That's true for the entire coaching staff. And not just about scheme.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I would like a defense that does something as this last season was a disaster to say the least. I would take Brown or anyone else with something different then the crap show we saw on the field

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Sure but its strange to single out Brown for this. That's true for the entire coaching staff. And not just about scheme.
It's because Brown has a very specific aggressive scheme.

Reaction Score
It's because Brown has a very specific aggressive scheme.

Maybe Florida and Ohio State just have better athletes?

Also, while I know Brown was an outlier here in that almost every other defense we've run they almost never blitzed, it's not some crazy specific defense like the triple option is for offense. That comparison is way off.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Maybe Florida and Ohio State just have better athletes?

Also, while I know Brown was an outlier here in that almost every other defense we've run they almost never blitzed, it's not some crazy specific defense like the triple option is for offense. That comparison is way off.
Sorry. Disagree. His scheme has been the same predictable scheme for years. I think the comparison works. It's not quite as unique as the triple option, but I think his approach is the defensive version.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom