OT: - broadcast shenanigans | The Boneyard

OT: broadcast shenanigans

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I live in the greater Washington area and the Mystics are almost never available on broadcast. The local sports channels carry very few games, but the Mystics block any broadcast of their games, home or away. This is nothing new.

But tonight, ESPN2 is broadcasting (notice I didn't say "airing"). . . air guitar!!!

I didn't think it could get worse than poker. Then I thought it couldn't get worse than cornhole. Now I don't know what they could do that would be worse than air guitar. I'm not absolutely sure that a mime competition would actually be worse than air guitar.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I live in the greater Washington area and the Mystics are almost never available on broadcast. The local sports channels carry very few games, but the Mystics block any broadcast of their games, home or away. This is nothing new.

But tonight, ESPN2 is broadcasting (notice I didn't say "airing"). . . air guitar!!!

I didn't think it could get worse than poker. Then I thought it couldn't get worse than cornhole. Now I don't know what they could do that would be worse than air guitar. I'm not absolutely sure that a mime competition would actually be worse than air guitar.
Not missing much with tonights game against the Sky. 53-30 Sky with 2 minutes left in 1st half

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Popular “culture” and I don't keep company very often, so I had to hit that font of all wisdom and arcane knowledge, wikipedia, for enlightenment.
“Air guitar is a form of dance and movement in which the performer pretends to play an imaginary rock or heavy metal-style electric guitar, including riffs and solos. Playing an air guitar usually consists of exaggerated strumming and picking motions, and is often coupled with loud singing or lip-synching.”

Sounds pukeworthy.

If I didn’t know Bigboote to be an upstanding gent, a scholar, and a devotee of eclectic musical tastes, I'd swear he was spinnin' a yarn. But it's really a thing, or is that thang?

E8C727DB-1660-49A5-B5C0-08839816BAEA.jpeg

Reaction Score
In general, I find that WNBA announcers and commentators talk incessantly. Their color commentators seem to be required to say some drivel about every single play. By comparison, college wbb tv announcers are paragons of their craft.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If it's almost a sport, it's on the Ocho. Yeah, I can't even pretend air guitar is almost a sport. That is beyond bizarre.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Popular “culture” and I don't keep company very often, so I had to hit that font of all wisdom and arcane knowledge, wikipedia, for enlightenment.
“Air guitar is a form of dance and movement in which the performer pretends to play an imaginary rock or heavy metal-style electric guitar, including riffs and solos. Playing an air guitar usually consists of exaggerated strumming and picking motions, and is often coupled with loud singing or lip-synching.”

Sounds pukeworthy.

If I didn’t know Bigboote to be an upstanding gent, a scholar, and a devotee of eclectic musical tastes, I'd swear he was spinnin' a yarn. But it's really a thing, or is that thang?

View attachment 78043
I couldn't make this stuff up. My daughter the writer maybe, but I'm just not that creative.

So I've just tuned in. There's a guy with a license plate around his neck (Ricky Stinkfingers, again, I'm not making this up) and a pair of tiger-print panties on the outside of his tights, no shirt and an emergency vest. Damn I'm working up a sweat just watching it (not, I'm working a sweat up laughing so hard). The announcer just called air guitar "the purest form of art on the face of the earth."

What's the world come to?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
That person should be banished from this planet.
I have no idea what ESPN ocho is -- evidently they're having it on ESPN2 all day.

Will they have Silly Walks championships or the Upper Class Twit of the Year later?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I have no idea what ESPN ocho is -- evidently they're having it on ESPN2 all day.
It's a good joke from the movie "Dodgeball." I think they officially stopped at ESPN3. In the movie they have ESPN8 that brings the viewers all kinds of pseudo sports from around the world, like squirrel water skiing. But I guess maybe it's a case of life imitating art, and ESPN actually does have The Ocho?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Thanks for that, NW. Evidently a couple of times a year, ESPN2 has had “ocho day” when they “showcase offbeat sports.” Looks as though broadcasts of cornhole may have started that way.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
im still waiting for two 'sports' from grammar schooldaze to make it to the tv.
three penny hockey. on a typical student desktop, player 1 starts with 3 pennies in a tight row at their end. with a flick to the center penny, you shoot it through the other 2, with a plan for the next shot where you shoot another penny through the imaginary line formed by pennies 1 and 3. then you shoot the last penny through that line formed by the other two.
finally, player 2 makes a goal on their end by placing the small finger and the index finger on the desk, with fingers 3 and 4 folded under the desk edge - a 'u' or backward 'c' so to speak. player 1 takes the fourth shot toward the goal. then player 2 takes a turn.
desktop football. fold a piece of paper into a triangle. make sure to leave the last fold short as you have to tuck it into another. do this wrong, and the football will keep falling apart. place the football hanging slightly off the desk at your end, and hit it with an open palm down the field. now, you can either flick it to try and make a touchdown (a flick that ends up with a portion of the football clearly hanging over the other edge, 6 points) or lift up and hold the football with an end touching the field. flick it into the air, and aim at the goalpost player 2 has made with his hands. field goal, 3 points.
i tried to keep both going into middle school times, with no luck. everyone else became too cool for kids games. puberty an all that, i guess.
high school? everybody was too busy with the betting sheets. i think they offered 'bookie' in the vocational track at my school.

we also had a pantload of outdoor (mostly, that's another story..lol.) games involving gasoline, fireworks, bike ramps, rocks, steel pipes, u know, the usual playthings. that one made it to tv, it's called 'jackass.'
slip and slides belong solely on grass. on asphalt, it's no game. i well recall playing the 'invent a flamethrower' game, but that ended when someone's folks found out. i thought it might be kinda unique, but when i moved to the hills, i learned that country kids had a game called 'potato gun.' it requires hairspray. wish i knew that one when i was a kid. it could have come in handy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's a good joke from the movie "Dodgeball." I think they officially stopped at ESPN3. In the movie they have ESPN8 that brings the viewers all kinds of pseudo sports from around the world, like squirrel water skiing. But I guess maybe it's a case of life imitating art, and ESPN actually does have The Ocho?
I actually believe "Dodgeball" would be aired on the "Deuce" these days compared to some others...'Cornhole", "Axe throwing"....etc comes to mind. ;)

Reaction Score

The British comedian, Peter Kay, has a lot of fun with music, from misheard lyrics to “playing” and singing along on the “air shovel”. Funny guy and not a bad singer in his own right.

Reaction Score

Cornhole? Air guitar? Surely, you jest. Surly, I don't. Sometimes I long for the days of three TV channels and having to get off your butt to change them. Then I remember the "Heidi game". Three channels or three thousand, you can't win either way.

When I first heard of the game cornhole, I recalled an old joke about royalty that I couldn't repeat here, and I was incredulous that the word would be used in polite conversation.

Who knew that Kim Jong-Un had tattoos.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Thanks, that means a lot coming from a fellow beer drinker. ;)
. Say for what were hop yards meant, or why was Burton built on Trent? Oh many a peer of England brews livelier liquor than the muse. Ale man, ale's the stuff to drink ... And malt does more than Milton can to justify God's ways to man. Look into the pewter pot to see the world as the world's not. Oh I have been to Ludlow Fair, and left my necktie God knows where. etc, etc. :eek:;):confused:

Reaction Score
In general, I find that WNBA announcers and commentators talk incessantly. Their color commentators seem to be required to say some drivel about every single play. By comparison, college wbb tv announcers are paragons of their craft.
I mute most of the commentation for UCONN women's games. Too many side tracks and assorted issues other than the game itself. Peace be with you

Reaction Score
Nock Hockey anyone?
Haven’t seen knock hockey yet, but I did see table top hockey last night. (I am not kidding) Looking forward to ping pong basketball.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
. Say for what were hop yards meant, or why was Burton built on Trent? Oh many a peer of England brews livelier liquor than the muse. Ale man, ale's the stuff to drink ... And malt does more than Milton can to justify God's ways to man. Look into the pewter pot to see the world as the world's not. Oh I have been to Ludlow Fair, and left my necktie God knows where. etc, etc. :eek:;):confused:
I'd thought maybe that was a collection of lines from folk songs. I must admit I looked it up, poetry never having been my cuppa. My folks had a collection or two from A E Houseman.

I think he may have been inspired by a folk song or two.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Haven’t seen knock hockey yet, but I did see table top hockey last night. (I am not kidding) Looking forward to ping pong basketball.

See? You can't make this stuff up. :eek:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I'd thought maybe that was a collection of lines from folk songs. I must admit I looked it up, poetry never having been my cuppa. My folks had a collection or two from A E Houseman.

I think he may have been inspired by a folk song or two.
He had a very unique outlook on life, for sure. He certainly realized our limitations!.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom