Brittney Griner meets with U.S. officials for first time since Russian detainment started in February | The Boneyard

Brittney Griner meets with U.S. officials for first time since Russian detainment started in February

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
U.S. consular officials were able to visit with WNBA star Brittney Griner in Russia for the first time Wednesday and reported that she was doing "well." "A U.S. consular official was able to verify that she is doing as well as can be expected," U.S. State Department spokesperson Ned Price said Wednesday. "We'll continue to work closely with her legal team and her broader network."

Reaction Score
That is just poor. It took nearly 7 weeks for SOMEONE from the U.S. to reach out?
This article says the Russians were refusing to give US Consulate access to Griner.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
This article says the Russians were refusing to give US Consulate access to Griner.

Is there a facepalm emoji? I should have read the article!

Mulder

In Search of One Objective Poster
Reaction Score
Are there any 'Release Brittney Campaigns' from Sue Bird, Nneka Ogwumike, LeBron James, or Megan Rapinoe? Or, have I just missed them?

Reaction Score
Are there any 'Release Brittney Campaigns' from Sue Bird, Nneka Ogwumike, LeBron James, or Megan Rapinoe? Or, have I just missed them?

The US State Department has advised Brittney's family and the team to keep this mostly out of the news and not do any protests or bring a lot of attention to this.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Doubt she will play this year, you are already in June. It would take at least a month to get in any type of basketball shape.
Not counting what her mental state will be.

Her playing status should be the last thing on anyone's mind right now. Just getting her the hell out of there is the ONLY priority.

Reaction Score
When she does return at least she will have months worth of two week checks waiting on her if years even better since PHX merc are paying her full salary. Money vs Freedom the obvious answer is freedom overall get home safe BG.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Griner has been playing in Russia for years. Anyone care to bet that when she is released and allowed to leave the country, she never returns? :mad:
I know Russia offers a pretty hefty pay day for many of the women players that go there. But after this, and I am one of the women players thinking about playing in Russia in the future, I would pass. I would go to some other country. I would not even consider playing in Russia every again.

Reaction Score
Dawn has been posting stuff all over social media calling for her release. Posted a pic of Brittney's wife's commencement guide with her wife's name listed bc she graduated and Brittney couldn't be there bc of being detained. All sorts of things she's been posting.

Reaction Score
I imagine they’re quietly working behind the scenes, mainly because of where she is. Too much loud noise will surely wake up the bear!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I imagine they’re quietly working behind the scenes, mainly because of where she is. Too much loud noise will surely wake up the bear!
The fact that there is even some line of communication with a government, legal system capable of just about anything seems positive.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The US should not allow anyone to travel there in the immediate future.
There is a level four travel advisory in place. That is a recommendation not to travel to Russia and to leave immediately if you are there. There are only limited options in and out of Russia right now. I think a few of the Middle East Airlines still have limited flights.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom