Bring On The Huskies | The Boneyard

Bring On The Huskies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wonder how many of the 1000+ Yes votes are readers of this forum? Is there really that much interest in UConn in the Great Plains? Or do they just recognize that UConn is their best chance to save the B12? Because without the B12, K-State is screwed.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I wonder how many of the 1000+ Yes votes are readers of this forum? Is there really that much interest in UConn in the Great Plains? Or do they just recognize that UConn is their best chance to save the B12? Because without the B12, K-State is screwed.

UConn plays well in any place called Manhattan.

Reaction Score
I kinda Tim that whole article and poll as tongue in cheek. I voted early (I came across it well before it was posted here) and we already had like 800+ votes.

The part about following the B1G's lead when they added Rutgers for their eyeballs kind of gave me that impression. Taking a swipe at the Big 12 by asking why they would want to follow what the B1G did, when we all know the B1G has been extremely successful.

JMO though.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I kinda Tim that whole article and poll as tongue in cheek. I voted early (I came across it well before it was posted here) and we already had like 800+ votes.

The part about following the B1G's lead when they added Rutgers for their eyeballs kind of gave me that impression. Taking a swipe at the Big 12 by asking why they would want to follow what the B1G did, when we all know the B1G has been extremely successful.

JMO though.

The differences in the poll questions for UConn, BYU and Memphis are interesting. The whole series is definitely done with an attempt to be funny, mixing in little bits of reality.

Reaction Score
Oh great, I cannot wait to field insults from a fanbase whose constituents are academically incapable of attending UConn and root for a sports program that this year's football, m/w basketball and baseball had/have a worse record than us. This will be fun.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Oh great, I cannot wait to field insults from a fanbase whose constituents are academically incapable of attending UConn and root for a sports program that this year's football, m/w basketball and baseball had/have a worse record than us. This will be fun.

If that's the case then you're already living the dream. You just described half of the AAC.

Reaction Score
I posted here awhile ago what a friend had shared with me who works for one of the networks about uconn and cincy being the teams if the big12 expands. He still stands by that statement. Personally I want the Uconn program in the big12. The academics, basketball and North East connection can only benefit the conference long term.

That being said I see a lot of people on this board that talk an amazing amount of crap considering the program they cheer for has been passed up by Tcu, West Virginia, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville and Rutgers since all this began. Uconn probably shouldn't have waited until the 2000's to make the commitment to football like they did. Also I read about how competitive you guys have been playing football in the AAC and the big east. That's laughable. If KSU and Uconn flipped schedules last year uconn would have been at best a 4-8 team in the big12 and would be another Iowa State, KU like program in the only sport that matters for quite sometime in this league. Ask West Virginia (much better program) what the transition to the big12 has been like on the field for them. Ask TCU what their first two seasons were like. Point is for an AAC team that keeps getting left in the cold a lot of you like to talk crap about the Iowa states and Kstates of the world. Yes, Kstate was grandfathered in and very lucky for it. However, Ksu has proven it belongs at this level. Uconn has played it's entire football history in the minor leagues.

I hope your school gets the invite. Your fanbase however considering you've been a D1 program for all of 15 years thinks a tad bit to highly of itself. To sum it up, if you get the invite keep those Ncaa tourneys coming. Football wise you're going to your asses kicked here for awhile.

pj

Reaction Score
I posted here awhile ago what a friend had shared with me who works for one of the networks about uconn and cincy being the teams if the big12 expands. He still stands by that statement. Personally I want the Uconn program in the big12. The academics, basketball and North East connection can only benefit the conference long term.

That being said I see a lot of people on this board that talk an amazing amount of crap considering the program they cheer for has been passed up by Tcu, West Virginia, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville and Rutgers since all this began. Uconn probably shouldn't have waited until the 2000's to make the commitment to football like they did. Also I read about how competitive you guys have been playing football in the AAC and the big east. That's laughable. If KSU and Uconn flipped schedules last year uconn would have been at best a 4-8 team in the big12 and would be another Iowa State, KU like program in the only sport that matters for quite sometime in this league. Ask West Virginia (much better program) what the transition to the big12 has been like on the field for them. Ask TCU what their first two seasons were like. Point is for an AAC team that keeps getting left in the cold a lot of you like to talk crap about the Iowa states and Kstates of the world. Yes, Kstate was grandfathered in and very lucky for it. However, Ksu has proven it belongs at this level. Uconn has played it's entire football history in the minor leagues.

I hope your school gets the invite. Your fanbase however considering you've been a D1 program for all of 15 years thinks a tad bit to highly of itself. To sum it up, if you get the invite keep those Ncaa tourneys coming. Football wise you're going to your asses kicked here for awhile.

Thanks for your support. I think the negatives you cite about UConn are just a historical legacy from the way universities developed in the northeast. We had a lot of strong, prestigious private universities (Ivy league, others) established before there was any such thing as a state university and the donations, investment, top students, and athletes went there instead of (as in the Midwest, Plains states, Southwest) to state schools. Even fifty years ago, Ivy League football was a big thing. The world changed and UConn is rapidly developing itself to rival other big state schools.

Now what has been a weakness is becoming a super-strength, because UConn is the only state school in the 35-million population 7-state New York-New England region to develop this way. We're the only public university playing high level athletics in the northeast, and have developed intense support both within our state and beyond its borders. UConn has produced a lot of NFL football players not because the northeast plays a lot of football or UConn has been a strong program, but because there are a lot of athletes among those 35 million people and UConn is the closest school to them. Having a more populous territory of support than almost any school in the country is a huge advantage, especially when the conversation turns to cable networks and ability to generate revenue, but also for athletic performance.

People here know about UConn's strengths, whereas people elsewhere are utterly ignorant about them. Yes, UConn would have been 4-8 (2-10 would be more accurate, thanks for your generosity) in the Big12 last year, but in ten years it would be an upper-half team in the B12. If it seems like we talk strong, it's because we know what we will achieve. And, it was shortsighted of conferences to pick TCU, WVU, Pitt, Cuse, L'ville ahead of us. (Rutgers made sense due to its 9 million person state and proximity to New York.) Conferences are more aware now of the importance of market and if they had do-overs, none of those schools would be picked ahead of UConn.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

I hope you have a better contingency plan this time when Snyder retires for good. K-State was lower than Rutgers until he came along, so you can fall off your high horse.

Reaction Score

That's what everyone said when UConn joined theBig East for football in 2004. We won two Big East championships in the next seven years and played in a BCS bowl game. Uconn athletics have consistently won on a national level when given a level playing field. I look forward to the challenge of playing a P5 football schedule.

Reaction Score

Thanks for visiting - here's a parting souvenir gift.
uconn toolbox.jpg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Outsiders like Kstatefan don't allow for context. Last year, we were just a year from our absolute nadir. We are showing upward momentum. We will be competitive in the Big 12 next year if that's where we end up. The Rent will be brutal for Big 12 teams.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

That being said I see a lot of people on this board that talk an amazing amount of crap considering the program they cheer for has been passed up by Tcu, West Virginia, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville and Rutgers since all this began. Uconn probably shouldn't have waited until the 2000's to make the commitment to football like they did. Also I read about how competitive you guys have been playing football in the AAC and the big east. That's laughable. If KSU and Uconn flipped schedules last year uconn would have been at best a 4-8 team in the big12 and would be another Iowa State, KU like program in the only sport that matters for quite sometime in this league. Ask West Virginia (much better program) what the transition to the big12 has been like on the field for them. Ask TCU what their first two seasons were like. Point is for an AAC team that keeps getting left in the cold a lot of you like to talk crap about the Iowa states and Kstates of the world. Yes, Kstate was grandfathered in and very luckI y for it. However, Ksu has proven it belongs at this level. Uconn has played it's entire football history in the minor leagues.

That's great. Imagine if K-State hadn't waited until the 1990's to become competitive in football (I do remember reading some years back, when Snyder took KSU to their first B-12 title game that at that point in their history the school had more winless seasons than they had winning seasons). My question is what happens when Snyder retires for good (or are you hoping he lives to 120)? It seems that he is the only person who has ever been able to solve KSU's football puzzle.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Home games would be winnable for us in the B12. I can just imagine a snowy day at the Rent packed full of UConn and Texas fans, the UConn fans and players unswayed, and the Texas group wishing we were never invited to their conference. Lots of upsets could take place at a cold Rent, it'll take the southern schools years to adjust.

That being said, the KST fan isn't lying. We'd be a floor mat in the B12, at least at first. I'm more than ok with that.

Reaction Score
That's great. Imagine if K-State hadn't waited until the 1990's to become competitive in football (I do remember reading some years back, when Snyder took KSU to their first B-12 title game that at that point in their history the school had more winless seasons than they had winning seasons). My question is what happens when Snyder retires for good (or are you hoping he lives to 120)? It seems that he is the only person who has ever been able to solve KSU's football puzzle.

I honestly do not know. The general consensus is someone currently on staff (most likely Dana Dimel) or Brent Venebals will be hired. Have to wait and see. I will say I think those two hires would be good for the program imo. You never know.

Last edited by a moderator:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
FWIW, every time someone tells us what can't do (competing in the Big 12, being a ranked team, etc.) I can't help but smile.

I remember well how certain people were that we would never be able to compete in the old Big East, how were were doomed to play, and lose, the Thursday night game in the BET. And yet here we sit at the top of the league for regular season championships and BET championships.

There were those who thought making the NCAA tournament every few years was our potential high water mark. Winning a national championship? Delusional. And yet we have won four Natties since 1999.

Now there are those who dismiss that as "just being basketball." Football, they assure us, is far more difficult to achieve success. We'd be lucky to win a game in our first decade, and certainly winning seasons and bowl berths are an unrealistic dream. New England doesn't like football, we're told, and we could never fill our 40,000 seat stadium. Even if we are lucky enough win a game or two, we can never beat the big boys from the Big 10 or the ACC. And yet in our short existance as 1-A/BCS team, we've sold out our stadium a dozen times:

October 19, 2007 Louisville W 21-17 40,000
November 03, 2007 Rutgers W 38-19 40,000
November 17, 2007 Syracuse W 30-7 40,000
September 13, 2008 Virginia W 45-10 40,000
October 25, 2008 Cincinnati W 40-16 40,000
November 01, 2008 West Virginia L 35-13 40,000
October 17, 2009 Louisville W 38-25 40,000
November 28, 2009 Syracuse W 56-31 40,000
October 02, 2010 Vanderbilt W 40-21 40,000
October 29, 2010 West Virginia W 16-13 40,000
November 27, 2010 Cincinnati W 38-17 40,000
September 21, 2013 Michigan L 24-21 42,704​

We've been to 6 bowl games, including a BCS Bowl, and have a .500 record.

We've been co-champions of our conference twice. We've been ranked in the top 25 three times. We've beaten Big 10 (Indiana), Big 12 (Baylor home and away), the SEC (South Carolina), the ACC (Wake Forest) and Notre Dame at Notre Dame Stadium. Against our former conference rivals, we've beaten Louisville 4 times, Pittsburgh and Rutgers 5 times, and Syracuse 6 times.

So you will forgive my smirk when someone tells me we can't compete. We're UConn; competing is what we do. We do it across a broad range of sports and 22 times we ended up being national champions. And while I know it won't be easy, I like our chances.

Last edited:

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score

Go back to your board, don't worry, when get invited we will be sure to kick your asses first! There's a reason our fan base is confident, trust me , you'll soon find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom