Bring back the Wildcat and the Shotgun | The Boneyard

Bring back the Wildcat and the Shotgun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes everyone's favorite offensive gimmick needs to come back. The Wildcat helped us beat Cuse and Rutgers in 2011 and Louisville in 2012. Bringing it back now will help us develop a third option behind Whitmer and Boyle.

Remember the Wildcat does not require a QB like McCummings, it was invented with a Running back at the helm, but a wide receiver or defensive back will do, the wildcat QB must be a little bit of a threat to throw the ball in order to keep the defense honest.

Our candidates:

Anyone who can run fast and pass just a little. My first thought is can Brice McCallister throw the ball?

Also in order to protect our two remaining QB's we should double up on our shot gun plays in order to minimize the hits they are taking. The shotgun does not seem to be Diaco's preferred mode of operation but he needs to adjust to the hand he has been dealt.

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Arkeel "The Valley" Newsome.

He needs to utilized like LaMichael James, De'Anthony Thomas, and Kenyon Barner were at Oregon. Speed kills.

Reaction Score
I agree with some of this. It wouldn't hurt to do a hurry up offense from time to time when u are losing

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
No thank you. If we're facing problems with stacked boxes with Whitmer under center, I would expect all 11 defenders to be within 2 yards of the OL pre-snap. There isn't a read-option in the world that can beat 11 guys when they are all lined up within 5 feet of the line.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I agree with some of this. It wouldn't hurt to do a hurry up offense from time to time when u are losing

Changing tempo of huddles and snap counts may help Chandler keep defenses off balance. But it will only work if he makes the correct read and is accurate. You can quick snap defenses all game but it won't do any good if he's throwing into double coverage or overthrowing open receivers. But I agree with the concept that it *could* help.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I agree with the wildcat but not the choices listed.

There is only one player on the roster with demonstrated ability to move a pile during the game. Julian Campenni. All UConn needs is 2.5 yards and a cloud of dust each play. He's almost 2 yards tall just by falling forward!!!!!!!

It'll be a variant of da Bears and the Fridge. And it will work.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When you have a bad team the last thing you want is more snaps.

Do you take Central Connecticut
to Kentucky and win by shooting early in the shot clock?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Whaler is spot on -- the edsall technique to manage a talent deficit was to take the air of the ball and hope for a big play in the 4th qtr. we got our fair share of late pick sixes in those days.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Whaler is spot on -- the edsall technique to manage a talent deficit was to take the air of the ball and hope for a big play in the 4th qtr. we got our fair share of late pick sixes in those days.
Bingo. Best bet is probably to just run the clock a lot. Before you know it it's near the end of the 3rd quarter and you're saying "Hey we're only down 17-7 against a far better team and we have the ball." Kick a field goal and hope for a big play. This is the situation we could have found ourselves in against BYU had we not spotted them that second touchdown.

Reaction Score
I suggest we see what Boyle has and slow things down. Be ready to use timeouts.

Reaction Score
The only reason to run Wildcat is if you want Kamal Abrams to be the backup QB, solely to preserve Boyle's redshirt. Unless Boyle really is completely not ready, I don't think you can realistically go that route.

Agree that running maximum clock and shrinking the game is the best option.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Changing tempo of huddles and snap counts may help Chandler keep defenses off balance. But it will only work if he makes the correct read and is accurate. You can quick snap defenses all game but it won't do any good if he's throwing into double coverage or overthrowing open receivers. But I agree with the concept that it *could* help.
You forgot "recievers catch the balls" and "recievers finish routes"

Dooley

Reaction Score
You have to change the tempo of the snap calls. If we already have 8+ guys at the LOS and word gets out that we won't snap the ball until 5 seconds or less on the play clock, then what you have is a stacked box that will get off the line quickly because they will know when the ball will be snapped. You can't have that.

You can run the clock down on some/most plays but you have to mix it up a bit if you want to actually move the ball as opposed to just running the play clock down to 2, snap it, and run into a wall of defense (who will likely be 2-3 yards in our backfield by then).

We can still be a ball control offense with plenty of runs and high percentage passes while mixing up when we snap the ball. Mix in a couple of dummy calls and have Whitmer/Boyle try to draw guys offsides. The most important part of being a ball control offense is the ability to get first downs. We'll only trim 2 minutes off the game clock if we get stuffed 3 times and punt.

Reaction Score
I don't see the purpose of trying to win a game by going three and out. Are we suggesting running into stack ed boxes I would rather roll the dice at this point. Weist had us moving the ball doing shotgun uptempo.

Reaction Score
If going shotgun gives the QB an extra split second to make a read or a throw I like it. Seems like a better position to spread the field, run screens and inside handoffs and quick routes. We have speed, let's use it. We have yet to show that adding blockers helps us move the pile.

Reaction Score

Hurry up and go three and out even faster? That would put the defense on the field even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom