Brimah | The Boneyard

Brimah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He needs to be sat down for a long time(in this game). We all praise him on his defense and say his offense is what needs work, but his defense has been AWFUL this game, and apart from blocking shots, he hasn't been a good defender for a long time. Ollie, please light a fire under his a** somehow.

Reaction Score
Brimah and the 4-5s in general are awful. We give him deserved slack because of the St. Joe's play.

He's lost on defense and unless he plays awful, awful front courts his offense is even worse.

Facey is terrible.

He needs to be sat down for a long time(in this game). We all praise him on his defense and say his offense is what needs work, but his defense has been AWFUL this game, and apart from blocking shots, he hasn't been a good defender for a long time. Ollie, please light a fire under his a** somehow.

Reaction Score
Brimah tries to block a 12 ft jump shot, easy rebound and put back

He's so awful to watch, painful

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Brimah tries to block a 12 ft jump shot, easy rebound and put back

He's so awful to watch, painful

I hope you feel better -- maybe try some Advil? Always works for me.

Reaction Score
so many fans are bipolar with this team, it's they are godawful if they lose and they are going to win the whole thing when they win one game, after SMU I said, we need to see a repeat performance in order to have any faith that this team turned a corner

Reaction Score
He will probably be the conference defensive player of the year.

I don't know or care enough about players in the rest of the conference, but if he wins defensive player of the year it's because people are impressed by his shot block numbers. It's easy to get that many at 7 ft tall when you go for it 90% of the time. I'm hopeful he'll learn how to play actual defense and also not take easy blocks and put them 5 rows deep next year or when he's a senior.

Reaction Score
And to add on to that, I don't think you should be able to win DPOY with such awful rebounding numbers. A huge part of defense is not letting teams get multiple attempts per possession.

Reaction Score
And to add on to that, I don't think you should be able to win DPOY with such awful rebounding numbers. A huge part of defense is not letting teams get multiple attempts per possession.

He does sometimes become so focused on blocks that he ends up in poor rebounding position. All four guards today had more rebounds that he did. AB had 1 in 28 minutes.

Reaction Score
Brimah is not the problem. We lose by 25 without him. At least he is trying and does look to protect the paint and bail out his teammates defensive mistakes. I'll take him over any other center in the AAC.

He's a project and he is doing/playing like projects do.

Reaction Score
He does sometimes become so focused on blocks that he ends up in poor rebounding position. All four guards today had more rebounds that he did. AB had 1 in 28 minutes.

I think that's my biggest complaint with him. I can live with him going for blocks when he shouldn't if he was pulling in 7 or 8 rebounds a game,
Brimah is not the problem. We lose by 25 without him. At least he is trying and does look to protect the paint and bail out his teammates defensive mistakes. I'll take him over any other center in the AAC.

I don't disagree with this. Outside of his rebound numbers being lower than I hoped, he's playing about as well as I expected. It's just frustrating considering what's behind him on the depth chart.

Reaction Score
so many fans are bipolar with this team, it's they are godawful if they lose and they are going to win the whole thing when they win one game, after SMU I said, we need to see a repeat performance in order to have any faith that this team turned a corner

I don't think it's that individual fans are bipolar. It's the board as an amalgam.

When we win, the rah-rah crowd is out in full force.

When we lose, the Debbie Downers come out of the woodwork.

Reaction Score

It's frustrating (and, to some, pathetic) that a program with the level of success that we've had for 25 years has to rely on projects to start from their freshman year.

Reaction Score
It's frustrating (and, to some, pathetic) that a program with the level of success that we've had for 25 years has to rely on projects to start from their freshman year.
We shouldn't get too frustrated. Chuck O., Olander, Nolan, Brimah, (Enoch next?) it seems to be is a pattern, something we all know too well.

Reaction Score
To be fair, Brimah came in after the JC retirement, KO short contract (not a criticism, I understood the logic), and the APR ban.

All these things set us back. It looked like it didn't because we had pre-ban talent (Bazz-Giffey-Daniels-Boat) and won a title. And we have some really talented players now (even if all of them are not performing), but not enough. Really, on this roster, outside of Boat we have DHam and Purvis. These are the lasting effects of the APR.

Let's see what Syracuse looks like in 2020.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
how many teams are able to get to the rim or even try getting to the rim when he's in there compared to when he's out?

Reaction Score
how many teams are able to get to the rim or even try getting to the rim when he's in there compared to when he's out?

I agree, but part of that equation is who comes in behind him. At the same time how many easy put backs occur because he gets block happy? He's also 7 ft tall and can't get 5 rebounds a game. I like him and think he can big a big impact player next year and Sr year, but I'm a little disappointed with his development this year.

Reaction Score
I'm to the point I flat out think he's terrible. What does he do well? Get 3 blocks a game going for everything and 80% of those he actually gets are new sets for the team and then the others he misses are usually easy put backs or goal tends. And his regular defense is beyond terrible and he can't rebound against strong players or anyone for that matter.

He had 1 rebound and 3 points against an average AAC team, no FGs, another example of when that DHam lob thing doesn't remotely work against teams with RPIs < 100.

And what did the 4-5s do today, 5 pts and 4 rebounds. Just ridiculous how bad the talent is there now, coming off a NC? Crazy.

I don't know or care enough about players in the rest of the conference, but if he wins defensive player of the year it's because people are impressed by his shot block numbers. It's easy to get that many at 7 ft tall when you go for it 90% of the time. I'm hopeful he'll learn how to play actual defense and also not take easy blocks and put them 5 rows deep next year or when he's a senior.

Reaction Score
People are looking at his numbers which is fine, some of that tells the story. Improved? - yeah a little. Ready to go to the NBA after his junior year? Not close. He's a horrid rebounder vs any team as big and more phisical. He's a very good shot blocker but has no clue as to attempt to do so and when not. His help defense is as good as his rebounding, clueless - always a step or 2 late. He can shoot it a little face up that's a good thing.

The mental piece of his game and the instinctive piece should have shown signs this year instead, if possible, it got worst. That's a monster issue in order to improve.

We'll see but the jury is out on this kid. Not saying I'm not glad he's ours, just trying to calm those awaiting the lottery choices at any point of his career.

Reaction Score
People are looking at his numbers which is fine, some of that tells the story. Improved? - yeah a little. Ready to go to the NBA after his junior year? Not close. He's a horrid rebounder vs any team as big and more phisical. He's a very good shot blocker but has no clue as to attempt to do so and when not. His help defense is as good as his rebounding, clueless - always a step or 2 late. He can shoot it a little face up that's a good thing.

The mental piece of his game and the instinctive piece should have shown signs this year instead, if possible, it got worst. That's a monster issue in order to improve.

We'll see but the jury is out on this kid. Not saying I'm not glad he's ours, just trying to calm those awaiting the lottery choices at any point of his career.

I get that the mental piece looks worse, but that isn't shocking considering last year he just had to come in and be big and hard working to make the impact we needed. This year we've had to rely on him and he isn't ready, so it appears he took a step back. He's playing 10 more minutes per game (60% more) this year and this team doesn't have Napier, Daniels, Giffey and Kromah. Hopefully this isn't much different than Napier and Walker having difficulty their Sophomore years when they were counted on to take a big step forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom