Brimah - what is the story? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Brimah - what is the story?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
AB isn't a natural rebounder - and isn't the first seven footer who tends to be flat-footed and appear to be watching while smaller, more agile players react to the ball better. If you throw a lob to him and be can measure the ball's flight, he looks really athletic and can go get it. If he is trying to read an unpredictable carom, he's more apt to look frozen. That's a part of his game that's always going to be a little frustrating, but if he had great rebounding instincts and could go get rebounds out of his area regularly, he wouldn't be here any more.

He's obviously a role player - but he's in scouting reports and he changes the way teams approach us on both ends. There will be games when his rim protection changes games in our favor and you do have to account for him on offense. As mentioned above, DHam hit some shots in the paint that were easier for because the bigs stayed at home and didn't step up to contest, and he also had some kickouts to the corner because there was a concerted effort to clog the paint when he started his dribble drive. The timing was also a little off on the lob to start the second half but AB made a good adjustment to go for the catch first with a little traffic and finished strong over a defender.

Ultimately though, we are very rarely going to have games when all of our rotation guys play up to their abilities. Someone is almost always going to have an off day or the matchup won't be in their favor and they'll have to defer on the court or have minutes reduced.

Reaction Score
AB isn't a natural rebounder - and isn't the first seven footer who tends to be flat-footed and appear to be watching while smaller, more agile players react to the ball better. If you throw a lob to him and be can measure the ball's flight, he looks really athletic and can go get it. If he is trying to read an unpredictable carom, he's more apt to look frozen. That's a part of his game that's always going to be a little frustrating, but if he had great rebounding instincts and could go get rebounds out of his area regularly, he wouldn't be here any more.

He's obviously a role player - but he's in scouting reports and he changes the way teams approach us on both ends. There will be games when his rim protection changes games in our favor and you do have to account for him on offense. As mentioned above, DHam hit some shots in the paint that were easier for because the bigs stayed at home and didn't step up to contest, and he also had some kickouts to the corner because there was a concerted effort to clog the paint when he started his dribble drive. The timing was also a little off on the lob to start the second half but AB made a good adjustment to go for the catch first with a little traffic and finished strong over a defender.

Ultimately though, we are very rarely going to have games when all of our rotation guys play up to their abilities. Someone is almost always going to have an off day or the matchup won't be in their favor and they'll have to defer on the court or have minutes reduced.

We will have no patience with a voice of reason. Enough!

Well stated gurley

C

Chief00

He is what he is at this point. Just be glad he had 5 rebounds. It probably would have been 3 last year. We don't need to lean on him as much this year, which is a good thing. But he still is very important piece of this team.

Over-all, I agree. It's Thanksgiving so I will break it down in more detail some other time. Brimah can change certain games with his shot blocking - and he can catch and dunk the lob pass - and he is a great teammate and kid. I don't like it but 5-6 reboumds a game would work this year with Miller and Hamilton taking most of the rebounds.

Other than that lets not go there today, quite frankly.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Two years later, I'm disappointed in his skills development, expected a bit more muscle, and wonder if his work ethic is an issue. I'm glad to see KO using a bit of tough love at this point and hope he responds well to it. I have a feeling he will.

Apparently he works like a demon. And remember, he's really only had one offseason in the program. Freshman to sophomore offseason was a write off due to shoulder surgery. Given his lack of experience, the loss of work/development was compounded

Not every guy develops at the same rate. And perhaps his ceiling is simply lower than you thought. He's also played far less ball than most college kids.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't really believe in the per-40 stats. But I think if we're looking to go to Brimah for anything but dump-offs, alley-oops, or put backs we're misusing the offense. So many other capable players of scoring. If Brimah starts seeing massive amounts of touches that might be a bad thing.

I agree, these are the most overrated stats in the game. Doesn't take into account match ups, which 'line' guys play against, fitness levels, game situations, who the guy is playing with, garbage time, etc.

I understand the desire to normalize, but I can pretty much guarantee a guy will NOT average his per forty if he actually got the minutes. It's therefore pretty meaningless for comparative purposes.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
No doubt that concern for the lob for other team is there I totally agree. And today if people get into the gaps and in the paint the lob can be there or make the defense stay home. But he's not a viable part of the offense unless it's that play, period. There is no other go-to play for him and a game plan for the other team can easily offset that. Heard a lot about he 15 footer he developed even more and have seen none of that, need to or his time will always be around 20 minutes. Let'a be honest, as mobile and long as he is if he's under 20 minutes in a game it's not just the fans that have lost some confidence in the guy!

Note though, while the interior guys for Michigan were not great, Doyle is a monster. Not surprised Brimah got pushed around.

caw

Reaction Score
Way before Rodman, that's pretty much how Oscar Robertson owned the paint as a point guard.

Didn't think enough people would recall seeing that/hearing that, but yeah.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Brimah has indeed improved, but is he where we expect and need him to be yet? No.

Reaction Score
Brimah is a project (nowhere near completed), which we all knew 2 years ago. He is okay and on progress for a breakout Senior year.

Hilton was similar and a couple of others. Brimah works hard and is certainly not lazy.

No need to complain, once you remember what he was coming in.

He's not invisible and is making contributios in every game he plays.

How about giving UConn a third of the production from his big game against ELON last season. Not asking him to be Drummond, but how about 12 pts/g and 9 or so rebounds. He is a junior now, not a freshman.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
There were a couple of rebounds he pulled down yesterday in traffic that there's no way he gets last year. People are projecting when the (constantly) criticize Brimah. He's definitely improved. He's still a project.

Reaction Score
Don't need blocks. Blocks lead to fouls (small margin of error). Need shot alteration, need some rebounds, need some dunks . . . Need him in game not on bench with fouls.

Reaction Score
WTF, did Brimah transfer to Syracuse? You are 7 feet, act like it. He is single handedly letting SU get the better of UConn. And did Miller and Gibbs get kidnapped or are they at the arena?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
WTF, did Brimah transfer to Syracuse? You are 7 feet, act like it. He is single handedly letting SU get the better of UConn. And did Miller and Gibbs get kidnapped or are they at the arena?

LOL.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
A couple nice blocks but an otherwise terrible game by Brimah. No instincts.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
We lost this game because we played our offense around a guy who can't catch a basketball for a large chunk of time.

Reaction Score
A couple nice blocks but an otherwise terrible game by Brimah. No instincts.

Can he at lest go back to the rooms and get Miller and Gibbs up and to the game. How do you figure two 5th year guys spit the bit in this game.

Reaction Score
I'm glad we have gotten what we have from him (not meaning today of course). He helped win a title, but there has never really been a reason to believe he can be a complete player. He just doesn't possess any offensive skills, but it's beyond disappointing when he shows up with a set of stone hands like he did today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom